Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like it. I think it can be refined, maybe slightly amplified and with a visual- the idea of the line on the center dash turning red makes good sense. On bumpier roads I don't notice as much, but on smoother roads, definitely. It makes it seem that all lane lines are actually subtle rumble strips, which maybe they should be.

Reactions: MisterT2
I had this in my BMW and it worked similarly with a steering wheel rumble. But the BMW one was a quick and lively triple vibration which was more identifiable. The Tesla one isn't as strong and like u guys said, just feels like a bumpy road.

Still, I turned it off in the Tesla like I did in the BMW. 99% of the time its just annoying to me.

I find the concept useful and has great promise. The way it vibrates right now is too subtle and combined the the occasional false alarm make it less than ideal. I just had my car for a few days and thought there were new patches of rough pavement everywhere. You see, even if there is a low false positive rate, because we don't usually drift across lanes much at all, most of the alerts you get will be the false positives.

Reduce false positives
Make the rumble a lot more obvious and add visual indicator

LDW is one of those things that marketing needs on a checklist, and is one of the first things on the checklist to turn off when you get a new car. Any car, not just Tesla. Turn it off even faster if there's an audit beep instead of just a steering wheel rumble. The fact that Tesla's doesn't beep means it stays on longer than average ..before people eventually realize it's a "feature" ..and then turn it off.

My soon-to-be-traded-in ELR vibrates the seat (left or right side, depending on which way I'm drifting) and has very few false positives in my experience. I find it to be a useful safety feature, perfectly implemented. I'll miss it but guess I'll just learn to move on once my Model S comes in. :D

It's a really subtle rumble in the steering wheel, sort of like what you'd feel hitting a rumble strip but very weak. No audible warning. It definitely needs to be amplified since it's easy to miss.

Its badly implemented. It feels more like something is going wrong with the steering than anything else. I think its going to be modified for sure. I have it off as well for now.

Thank you for pointing out the source of this troublesome vibration. I too was curious as to why I wasn't being notified of unintended lane departures. Instead, I thought something was wrong with the car, not knowing it was related to this feature. Poor implementation indeed.

I had brought it back the other day for an A/C issue only a week after delivery. I asked two Tesla service associates about a vibration/noise coming from somewhere in the front of the vehicle. They had no idea but said they'd check it out.

Lane Departure Warning = turned off until improved.

Another negative of having lane departure on is that (at least for me), it disables auto lane change in Autopilot mode. Software update 17.11.45.

Hmmm. With the same software version I'm able to have lane departure warning and auto lane change. The auto lane change is a little slow and seems to get me slowly halfway into the lane and then goes for it which is strange but it works.

Reactions: MisterT2
Agree - that it is too subtle to be of much assistance. What might help would be a visual indicator in addition to the rumble - since the dashboard is displaying the lane lines, the line being crossed could be flashed or highlighted to provide reinforcement for the rumble.

Otherwise it just feels like rough pavement...

Completely agree! The technology for lane departure detection and warning is already there. Why not ACTUALLY make it effective? My wife had a loaner vehicle from Subaru the other day, and that vehicle had better, more useful lane departure warnings!

Come on Tesla, we can do it!!

The vibration and sound is definitely not subtle in my car so I turned it off for local driving. I plan to use it only on the highway.

The Lane Departure "vibration warning" is hardly noticeable for me. Essentially useless.

I wonder if my settings are different?? I cannot see much in the settings beyond turning this feature on and off.

I think Telsa should DEFINITELY have a visual and auditory warning option for this often life saving feature.

Any thoughts?