Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Lane Keep Assist" - Telsa vs. Subaru Eyesight (My experience)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the comparison you are making is not worthwhile. It’s like you are comparing an one orange to another orange peel.....

Hi @qdeathstar - Are you referring to the OP's comparison request, or that comparison that some others have done - Subaru Eyesight LDA vs. Telsa AP? If the latter, I think most would agree, but that's not the comparison I, the OP, was looking for. The limited Subaru Eyesight system works on nearly every road, where the Tesla AP system does not. On the roads it (AP) does work well on, it is absolutely fantastic - no argument. What puzzles me is why the newly released, a few months ago, Tesla lane departure avoidance system is so poor currently. If this simple function can not at least perform to the weak Subaru Eyesight LDA, how on earth with the M3 ever be "FSD Feature Complete" by the end of the year??? Seems like Tesla has a much longer way to (FSD by year end, however FSD is defined) go if the Tesla's lane departure avoidance system is so inferior at the moment, to the limited Subaru Eyesight system. That's the point. :)

I think it makes more sense to compare the full range of self drive features. Which Tesla is obviously superior when compared that way.

That said, LDA works the way I expect it to and I haven’t had had all the issues people are reporting with it - such as it jerking off into a near accident or whatever..

Last edited:
I think it makes more sense to compare the full range of self drive features. Which Tesla is obviously superior when compared that way.

That said, LDA works the way I expect it to and I haven’t had had all the issues people are reporting with it - such as it jerking info a near accident or whatever..

Thanks! I agree with your first point. Subaru doesn't have any AP functionality, so I wanted my comparison to be an apples-to-apples comparison. On the lane assist aspect, the Subaru version;

1. Works reliably on way more roads than the Tesla rendition (using my 2018 Eyesight version as the reference point)
2. Bounces to back into the lane quicker than Telsa's (my M3 actually crosses over the line as it is getting bounced back - that is when the Tesla system decided it wants to bounce you back)
3. Doesn't leave me wondering if it's on, on any given road as there are visual cues on the dash display; haven't found anything similar on the Tesla, except with AP is engaged (which is rare for me, given it really only works well on highways or main roads)

I'm not sure how this can be with the camera systems in the Tesla should be far superior to the two stereo cameras the Subaru uses on the windshield. Odd to me. YMMV

I don’t think you are allowing for the other features the Tesla has that allows it to make a better decision about what do it when there is a lane departure for point two, for point three lda is always on, butnthe rest of the cars features (which you are ignoring in the comparison) determine whether or not to activate.

I don’t think you are allowing for the other features the Tesla has that allows it to make a better decision about what do it when there is a lane departure for point two, for point three lda is always on, butnthe rest of the cars features (which you are ignoring in the comparison) determine whether or not to activate.

On roads where the Tesla AP doesn't allow itself to be activated, it doesn't matter, does it? For me, this is most of the time given where I live. That leaves me with just basic "LDA" like functions - and there, Subaru wins hands down - currently....

On roads where the Tesla AP doesn't allow itself to be activated, it doesn't matter, does it? For me, this is most of the time given where I live. That leaves me with just basic "LDA" like functions - and there, Subaru wins hands down - currently....

Tesla AP can be activated on vast majority of roads -- what roads are you referring to? I use AP for 90% of my driving, on vast majority of roads everywhere I drive in US and Canada. In contrast to you, I have never used LDA functions -- and why would I if I can use full AP? The only roads where AP does not activate for me are parking lots and residential developments.

Reactions: qdeathstar
Tesla AP can be activated on vast majority of roads -- what roads are you referring to? I use AP for 90% of my driving, on vast majority of roads everywhere I drive in US and Canada. In contrast to you, I have never used LDA functions -- and why would I if I can use full AP? The only roads where AP does not activate for me are parking lots and residential developments.

Many roads by me are rural, and I also like to "drive" my Tesla (without AP driving for me) - in those cases, I want the assist/extra protection, should I stray from center, as I futz around with the M3 screen to adjust things like HVAC, nav, radio, wipers, etc. With the M3 version of LDA, I can't really rely on any protection on these roads, like I can when in the Subaru, for the may reasons I've already stated in prior posts in this thread...

Many roads by me are rural, and I also like to "drive" my Tesla (without AP driving for me) - in those cases, I want the assist/extra protection, should I stray from center, as I futz around with the M3 screen to adjust things like HVAC, nav, radio, wipers, etc. With the M3 version of LDA, I can't really rely on any protection on these roads, like I can when in the Subaru, for the may reasons I've already stated in prior posts in this thread...

I saw the Lane Assist added in one of the updates and immediately dismissed it. I do vast majority of my driving on rural two lane highways where Tesla AP works exceptionally well. If I am actively driving my MS on a winding road -- why would I want the LDA system interfering with my inputs? If I am not actively driving -- Tesla AP takes over and I can sit back and pay full attention to the road.

I saw the Lane Assist added in one of the updates and immediately dismissed it. I do vast majority of my driving on rural two lane highways where Tesla AP works exceptionally well. If I am actively driving my MS on a winding road -- why would I want the LDA system interfering with my inputs? If I am not actively driving -- Tesla AP takes over and I can sit back and pay full attention to the road.

Yes, when you don’t feel like driving your Tesla, and hence activate AP on roads where it activates, it works well. In all the other cases, where you actually want to “drive,” and/or on roads where AP is not available, the Tesla lane keeping assist blows the big one. Subaru’s does not. That’s all I’m saying. I prefer “driving” my M3 and having the protection of lane keep assist when distracted, as I mentioned several times now. Sounds like you prefer letting AP drive, rather than yourself, so that works great for you - but again, and for the last time, and as the OP of this thread, that’s not the comparison I was looking for. Feel free to create another thread comparing The Subaru Eyesight system as a whole to Tesla’s AP system, and you’ll get just about everyone here to agree with you. Heck, I might even post agreement as well! Take care. :)

Last edited:
As an aside, I was just looking at the 2020 Eyesight functionality. New for 2020 is "Available segment-exclusive DriverFocus Distraction Mitigation System". A good add, but one we will never see in the M3 via software update as there isn't an inward facing camera - and if there was, the warning would be going off all the time, because in our M3's we spend quite a bit more time looking at the screen to the right than the road! :eek:

EDIT: Also new for 2020 - "Standard EyeSight Driver Assist Technology (everybody gets it; not an up sell option) with Advanced Adaptive Cruise Control and new Lane Centering function"

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
As an aside, I was just looking at the 2020 Eyesight functionality. New for 2020 is "Available segment-exclusive DriverFocus Distraction Mitigation System". A good add, but one we will never see in the M3 via software update as there isn't an inward facing camera - and if there was, the warning would be going off all the time, because in our M3's we spend quite a bit more time looking at the screen to the right than the road! :eek:

EDIT: Also new for 2020 - "Standard EyeSight Driver Assist Technology (everybody gets it; not an up sell option) with Advanced Adaptive Cruise Control and new Lane Centering function"
But there is an inward facing camera in the Model 3.

After reading this whole thread I'm left wondering why do you even care? What is the point of comparing the lane keep assist or warnings between the 2 cars? I think any kind of comparison would be best left to 3rd party safety system testing like what is being done in Europe, although I haven't seen any objective testing of lane keep assist/warning systems yet.

I would think both of these systems are intended to only be back up safety systems. Your goal should be to never require the use of these systems at all.

I've had the Tesla system fully engaged since I got it a few months ago, and aside from the few times that I intentionally triggered it to see what it would do, it really hasn't done much. The few times it has triggered it seemed totally adequate vs what I would have expected it to do. I can't think of any times where it failed to save me from driving off the road. I also personally haven't had any of the false or unexpected triggers that many have complained about.

Overall it seems to perform adequately based on my understanding of it's function and that's all that really matters to me.

After reading this whole thread I'm left wondering why do you even care?

I care(d) because I was surprised how ineffectual the M3 version was, and was hoping someone would tell me what I might be doing wrong, or a setting, or something. But, the posts in this thread leave me with my original thoughts. Hopefully, for the reasons I've already stated above, the M3 lane keeping "assist" will improve with future updates - as I find that feature on our Subaru's quite helpful. Of course, YMMV.