Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane-splitting motorcycle stoplight drag-race dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Generally motorcycles are quicker than most cars.
Many Tesla cars are quicker than most motorcycles.
So we end up with a situation.

You are lucky enough to end up first in line at a stoplight, ready to have fun with that low end torque.
Just as the light is about to change a motorcycle lane-splits and pulls up right alongside your front fender, ready to blast off when the light changes.
Motorcycles are used to being quicker than cars, so they figure they get to take dibs on the light launch, but may not realize that the Tesla beside them is quicker then they are.

So what is the Tesla driver to do?
... Just let the motorcycle take the launch since the rider assumes the car will lag behind and they can quickly merge into the middle of the lane in the intersection?
... Out-launch the motorcycle to retrain the rider that Tesla cars are not slow, and they need to respect the Tesla launch ability?

Maybe Model S & X have less of this problem since they are so wide they don't leave much room for lane splitters?
In my Model 3, I have had this happen multiple times, and I don't know if the motor-cyclist is hoping for a race, or expecting me to yield.
It seems awkward / dangerous. I feel disappointed that I have to give up on my "first in line" opportunity by someone that wants to cut in line.

As a motorcyclist, one of the reasons we filter to the front is because getting rear-ended at a light is one of the most common ways for us to get killed. I'm acutely aware that while the list of cars that are faster than my bike is small, it's still a thing. I just make sure to go for the lane with the slower car in it, just in case someone wants to wave his giblets.

As for when I'm in the car, I just give the bike a moment to get clear unless he goes for the other lane, then I proceed as normal.

Keep the drag racing on the track.

That being said... what do you do about lane splitting motorcycles when in autopilot?

Before I had a car with autopilot, I used to be courteous and move over on the lane to let the motorcyle through... especially on the HOV lane. Majority of cars behind me and in front do the same and I used to always get a thumbsup from the rider.

Now with autopilot it doesn’t care if a motorcyle is plitting lanes in the HOV or any other lane for that matter. It always stays in the middle of the lane. So I end up in situations where all the cars ahead and infront of me move over a smidge for the motorcyles where as I’m the A’hole crusing along in the middle of the lane in autopilot. They come very close to my passenger mirror... especially big wide Harley Davidsons (those things are so wide they shouldnt be allowed to lane split). I’ve had many sport bikes go past me and rev their engines expecting me to move over & even had a few instances where some riders waved the finger at me. I just raise both hands up and motion “I’m not in control” even though ultimately I am and just supervising the car. The car is perfectly in the middle of the lane... probably moves a tiny bit more to the right to center itself whenever there are breaks in the HOV lane to merge out as well.

So what would you do? Disengage autopilot and move over? Or start an education campaign for lane splitting motorcycle riders that Tesla’s on autopilot don’t care about your lane splitting? Maybe next update for autopilot automatically have the car move over within the lane to recognize motorcyles and let them through? How do other Tesla owners that are motorcyle riders feel about this? Just curious.

Reactions: atlas310
Keep the drag racing on the track.

That being said... what do you do about lane splitting motorcycles when in autopilot?

Before I had a car with autopilot, I used to be courteous and move over on the lane to let the motorcyle through... especially on the HOV lane. Majority of cars behind me and in front do the same and I used to always get a thumbsup from the rider.

Now with autopilot it doesn’t care if a motorcyle is plitting lanes in the HOV or any other lane for that matter. It always stays in the middle of the lane. So I end up in situations where all the cars ahead and infront of me move over a smidge for the motorcyles where as I’m the A’hole crusing along in the middle of the lane in autopilot. They come very close to my passenger mirror... especially big wide Harley Davidsons (those things are so wide they shouldnt be allowed to lane split). I’ve had many sport bikes go past me and rev their engines expecting me to move over & even had a few instances where some riders waved the finger at me. I just raise both hands up and motion “I’m not in control” even though ultimately I am and just supervising the car. The car is perfectly in the middle of the lane... probably moves a tiny bit more to the right to center itself whenever there are breaks in the HOV lane to merge out as well.

So what would you do? Disengage autopilot and move over? Or start an education campaign for lane splitting motorcycle riders that Tesla’s on autopilot don’t care about your lane splitting? Maybe next update for autopilot automatically have the car move over within the lane to recognize motorcyles and let them through? How do other Tesla owners that are motorcyle riders feel about this? Just curious.

I disengage and move over. It's not exactly a huge effort, I like my paint the way it is, and a little courtesy goes a long way.

In this situation I'd see what the motorcyclist is going to do. If he nails it then I'll let him go on his way, and take off slowly behind him.

If he doesn't then I'll nail it. The awesome thing about a Tesla is you don't have to commit to anything till you really want to.

As to OP: I'd be very concerned about trying to drag the motorcycle. If they don't realize you are about as fast as them they might pop a hair early and get out ahead. Then, expecting they are clear, slide into the middle of your lane and lay off the throttle so they don't exceed the speed limit.

Even if you lack basic empathy for them, it's going to put some serious dents in your undercarriage if you run over them and could also be very awkward to explain in court.

May I suggest rolling down your window and striking up a conversation with the motorcyclist? It not like we have to talk over the noise of an idling engine.

I'm thinking you forgot one part of the equation unless he's on a Zero Motor Cycle.

A Tesla owner talking to Zero owner at a stop light would be kinda funny.

If no one hears a Tesla and Zero racing then did it happen?

Don't be an idiot on public roads. Doesn't matter what car you drive.

Exactly. With the model 3 the entry point of insanely fast cars is attracting a younger crowd.

Please, please don’t let Tesla earn a bad reputation.

And more importantly please please don’t raise my insurance.

You know how fast your car is. You don’t need to keep proving it to every smuck.

Take it to the track if you need to prove something or get it out of your system.

Reactions: Blue in NC and DR61
I disengage and move over. It's not exactly a huge effort, I like my paint the way it is, and a little courtesy goes a long way.

It becomes a huge effort when during rush hour sitting in traffic and autopilot is most useful you need to disengage it every 15 to 30 seconds for a motorcycle... So your saying give up the luxury of using autopilot in traffic and just use TACC?

@pandam3 Does EAP not complain bitterly nor react in any way if a motorcycle rides up split-lane on you?

EAP does not complain. EAP knows no fear... it just stays in the center of the lane. You’d think it would be easy to code the car to just slide over a tiny bit when it notices a motorcylce coming up from behind. I guess the complexity of the coding arises when... what if your are getting lane split on both sides? Does EAP sacrifice the rider on the left to save the rider on the right?

I won't launch if a motorcycle is near me, too risky. Well aware of how they swing so it's not worth the risk to show off.

I have been on an open 3 lane road and had cyclists 2 lanes over. In that case I did launch, safely. And at the next stoplight they actually stopped behind my car rather than attempt to squeeze in the front.