Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Large scale storage in 100 days or it's free

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While you're at it Elon could we get a Gigafactory in South Australia as well?
image.jpg

For those outside of Australia the South Australian power issue has been a political football for most of the summer, to summarize the behaviour from those in authority has been childish and everyone's fault but their own, lots of hot air, lots of grandstanding, we even had the Australian federal treasurer carry a lump of coal into Parliment, "clean coal is the future" apparently, Australians generally have little respect for their federal politicians at the best of times the past few months have taken the level of distain to a new low, Elon's announcement is a mike drop moment.

It sounds a really good idea. I can't imagine anything happening any time soon. "Clean coal is the future." Or is it Gas? Apparently Australia is headed for a gas shortage. Too many mythical problems surrounding green power. Why let facts get in the way of a good argument?

It sounds a really good idea. I can't imagine anything happening any time soon. "Clean coal is the future." Or is it Gas? Apparently Australia is headed for a gas shortage. Too many mythical problems surrounding green power. Why let facts get in the way of a good argument?

Yeah I’m trying to imagine what arguments the flat earth flock will regurgitate in order to explain why this is a terrible idea. I really cannot imagine but no doubt Pauline will be enlisted to provide her expertise. Some will probably say that the SA blackout would not have been prevented by battery storage without understanding that decentralised storage of wind & solar energy would most definitely prevent a repeat statewide blackout.

I think something will happen soon. In about 100 days.

This will be a game changer.

After Mr Musk called Mr Weatherill and declared, via Twitter, he was "very impressed", Mr Cannon-Brookes tweeted to both "not to push my luck... big $ commitments pouring in. Are 10 x 100MWh installs (grid distributed) possible or crazy?"

>> ... can you guarantee the 100MW in 100 days?

>> Tesla will get the system installed and working 100 days from contract signature or it is free.

Interesting noticing when a simple fender bumper hit cannot be fixed after about 250 days...

6 months in, still waiting on my repair.... • r/teslamotors

Repairing My Tesla Model S Has Been an Utter Nightmare -- and It's Mostly Tesla's Fault -- The Motley Fool

"Seven months, three weeks, and three days. That's how long it's been since my Tesla Model S
was damaged in an accident, and I still don't have my car back..."

B9sC7PqkVoHbDAttvptAP1whLAGPc3sIgOQK507b3mw.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
>> ... can you guarantee the 100MW in 100 days?

>> Tesla will get the system installed and working 100 days from contract signature or it is free.

Interesting noticing when a simple fender bumper hit cannot be fixed after about 250 days...

6 months in, still waiting on my repair.... • r/teslamotors

Repairing My Tesla Model S Has Been an Utter Nightmare -- and It's Mostly Tesla's Fault -- The Motley Fool

"Seven months, three weeks, and three days. That's how long it's been since my Tesla Model S
was damaged in an accident, and I still don't have my car back..."

B9sC7PqkVoHbDAttvptAP1whLAGPc3sIgOQK507b3mw.jpg

As a caring Aussie I'm really concerned about your problem, send me your postal address and I"ll send you $10 for a bag of Cement.

Apart from all the usual bulldust being dragged up in the media at the minute I find one thing in particular sooooo amusing and honestly makes me question the overall general level of intelligence. You have all these 'experts' pointing to graphs, trends and illustrations showing that SA has 32 GWH of daily demand and that 100 MWH is a drop in the ocean and that batteries are entirely uneconomical.

In all honesty, can't these morons even look at their own data and understand the issue. If you have a peak of 2 GW of demand for 2 hrs that is predictable on a daily basis vs a baseline of 1 GW and you have no storage in your system then you need to build 2 GW of capacity. It is that simple. That is what we have right now. If 1 GW had to be replaced with new coal at say $3500/kw then that's $3.5 Bn. On a simple basis at say $50M/100 MWH then you end up needing $ 1 Bn to set aside 2 GWH of storage plus $350 m for the 100 MW of generation of coal. You don't need 32 GWH of storage, you only need storage for what you cannot generate in that instant.

Obviously I would replace the 100 MW of coal for $350 m for $350 m worth of solar PV to do the same job. That's for the simplest scenario, replacing like for like, and it still makes sense. The reason that even existing fossil fuel generators were shut down was that they were noncompetitive. Solar is now the cheapest form of generation in many countries and that list of countries is only going to get longer, and the cost will get lower.

What we need to do though is think about this problem as a country, not silo'd states (and political interests) and think about the actual facts.

1. The sun always shines (something these 'experts' are ignoring), some days more than others, but seriously it always shines!!
2. There is always wind. Maybe not in the exact same place all the time but Australia, even SA, is a massive f**cking place.
3. We already have a massive hydro system that could be used for dispatchable generation, rather than continuous generation, significantly reducing the storage need.

With large areas you could modify the grid to ensure you can pick up sun in the eastern parts and western parts stretching solar capabilities and spread out your wind farms. We as a society have data on where it is the windiest, we actually know where it is most likely to be windy....we have the same data on the sun, we know when it goes dark and when it is light again. We know with some certainty backed up with 100's of years of data how many no so sunny days we will have.

I have the popcorn by my side and I am keenly watching where this ends up, hopefully the right interests win through. I also have a decent lump of cash sitting to through into the pot if MCB tries to crowdfund this thing.

Reactions: Mark E