Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Largest width rear tires for 21" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if 285/30/22 will rub when I install lowering springs

Yes, it will. Not all the time, but it will.

I ran 285/30/22 Continentals on my S with 22x10.5 et37 Vossen VFS1's, and they rub the fender liner and rear bumper when going over bumps. It's also quite close to the strut tower, might rub there if super low as well.

Likely an efficiency compromise. Wider tires result in considerable increases to wh/mi numbers.

II think it came down to efficiency, fitment, and Load rating.

A 265 meets the traction needs of the car, and offers lower rolling resistance just due to a smaller contact patch. Porsche runs 205 on the 911 Turbo, but they don't have to worry as much about their general clientele complaining about 'efficiency.'

Therefore, 265 is enough traction to launch the car without customers incessantly complaining that they didn't get exactly 400 miles from a charge. 265/35 is also a bit more available as a tire size, I think.

From a fitment standpoint, a 285 width tire fits quite close to the strut tower, so they'd need to change the offset of the rear wheels to account for that, thus pushing the tire closer to flush than they seem to like.

On load rating, the the 265/35 is a 101Y (1820 lbs), the 285/30 is a 100Y (1750 lbs).

I got a chance to buy some aftermarket wheels from an f10 BMW m5 but do you guys think the rears will fit? For rears, I would to use at least a 285/295 tire.

Staggered Setup:
- 21x10 Front et 28
- 21x11.5 Rear et 32

I'm fairly certain the largest OEM wheel that was offered on the F10 was a 20", no? For example, the Style 612s fit the measurements you listed, and they're on the X5M, not the M5.

Either way, no, I don't think that'll fit in the back. With a +32mm offset and a 11.5" wheel, I think your wheel is going to stick out past the fender AND rub the shock tower at the same time lol.

Additionally, the hub bore of the F10 M5 is 72.6mm vs the S's 64.1mm, so you'd need hub rings.

Last edited:
At Signature we were able to fit the specs below for the customer without any rubbing.

Signature SV303
22x9.5 (255/30/22)
22x11 (295/25/22)
e89e4fd5-fef6-412a-afb4-4cd14ad4db36-jpeg.596090

photo-jan-05-9-26-18-am-jpg.624502

Just curious. With 21" wheels what's the widest rear tire one can mount that won't rub?

Compared to the stock 245/35-21 tires, 285/30-21s are 1.6" wider and virtually the same height. 295/33-21s are 2" wider and .2" higher. 305/30-21s are 2.4" wider and .4 inches taller. Any clearance issues should be on the inside fender well which I suppose could be fixed with a modestly wide wheel spacer.

Any thoughts or experiences that can enlighten me?
Putting the rub aside, would this tire size change mess up the car at all? Tire shops are anxious to put wider tires such as 305 30/21 on for me saying I should check to see if it would throw anything off since it's all computerized.

Putting the rub aside, would this tire size change mess up the car at all? Tire shops are anxious to put wider tires such as 305 30/21 on for me saying I should check to see if it would throw anything off since it's all computerized.

305/30 is less than 1% larger in diameter than 295/30. It's fine. The car only has speed sensors in the back anyway, so it's not like it's comparing front to rear wheel speed.

Put the 22s back on this weekend. Here's a few shots that I hope you find helpful:

I did confirm that I've got +30 offset; it was stamped on the casting on the inside of the wheel. Here's the fitment for 295/25. My sense is that there is room for a little more width based on how convex the sidewall is.
Tire1.jpg

Stock offset versus the +30.

Stock +40mm
Tire2.jpg

22" +30mm
Tire3.jpg

And finished product with Vossen 22s.
Tire5.jpg
How come I can’t see the images? I just bought a 2012 S with 21in turbine rims, what’s the widest tire that will on the rear? 295/25/21, 305/25/21 or do I have to stick to a 285? I would like the widest possible. And it looks like from this chat, I would need a spacer? And why?

How come I can’t see the images? I just bought a 2012 S with 21in turbine rims, what’s the widest tire that will on the rear? 295/25/21, 305/25/21 or do I have to stick to a 285? I would like the widest possible. And it looks like from this chat, I would need a spacer? And why?

My post was a couple of years old and I let my web hosting account (where my images were hosted) expire yesterday. I will see if I can find the original images and re-post. I had 295 series tires on my 2017 S for a while. They fit fine with a 30 offset wheel (although it was a 22" wheel so maybe a bit more clearance than a 21".

Edit: forgot to mention... your stock turbines are not that wide of a wheel and you are probably limited to a 265 or 275 series tire if they are the 9" width version. All of these cars in this thread with monster widths like >285 are running on aftermarket wheels that are 10" wide or greater. I had a 295 tire on a 10.5" wheel.

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
I have some hb04 BC forged wheels I made for my Bmw f10 sitting in my garage. Do you think I can run this setup 21x9 et +25 21x10.5 +39. For my 2017 model S. Will be installing UP lowering brackets as well.

If these work. What tire size will I need to run? I know I will need hubrings

Thank you all in advance and sorry for digging up an old thread.

I have some hb04 BC forged wheels I made for my Bmw f10 sitting in my garage. Do you think I can run this setup 21x9 et +25 21x10.5 +39. For my 2017 model S. Will be installing UP lowering brackets as well.

If these work. What tire size will I need to run? I know I will need hubrings

Thank you all in advance and sorry for digging up an old thread.

Should work, though you may need a slight spacer in the rear. But if you buy a hubcentric spacer, you can kill two birds with one stone.

Reactions: PhamBam$
I used to run 295/25/22 on my old vossens, but looking back, I don't know how.....because my current 285/30/21 et38's fit with maybe 2-3mm of space between the tire and the strut, like @Ludalicious . I had to add a 2mm spacer to make sure I didn't touch the strut.

I'd prefer to run 295/30/22 because I think it'd make the sidewall look a little more 'straight' and thus beefier (think BMW M3 style), but I'm not sure if I can fit it.

I'd also prefer to run 255 on the front for the same reason, but i know i'd rub on the fender liner if I did. I'm sure I could remove the fender liner and modify it to "make it work," but if you take a decent turn at any speed you're just gunna melt the liner with tire friction.

Reactions: PhamBam$