TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Largest width rear tires for 21" wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by artsci, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

Exactly. I had 401 Km remaining on my batter when I picked up my car. As per my request there was no test drive. I drove it about 4 KM on my test drive and when I got back to the tire shop I was now showing 408 on the range remaining. Thinking it might be because they new rims and tires are 5 lbs lighter on each corner? Anyone else experience more range when changing rims and tires. I highly doubt tesla left more range on the table and would of went with lighter rims if that's the case.

2. The Duke

The Duke Member

I went with forged rims and RB brakes, a lot lighter at each corner. Stock tire sizes. The range difference at speed is consistently better, but so low it does not matter, like 1-2%. The ride and handling are much better,

• Like x 2
  3. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

What size (width, offset) Lexani rims did you install?

How much do your Lexani forged rims weigh?

4. The Duke

The Duke Member

I got the Lexani Monobloc 102's, 1/2" wider front and back, 40MM offset. This is from memory, I will see if I can find the paperwork on them. I recommend doing the RB rotors at the same time. Very noticeable when you do both.

• Like x 1
  5. BigCity

BigCity Member

No haven't tried doing anything like that unfortunately, I was just looking at it as more rim protection hate when they look like a rubber band on the rim with the rim edge exposed, but looks like you really have no choice on these as you won't get a tire wide enough to help with that and fit.

Probably roll the dice on the Pirelli, or possibly the continental shown above, hadn't seen those previously so those look good as that's the highest load rating I've seen for a 22".

6. EVSteve

EVSteve 110% Solar Powered

Success! Thanks for the help!

1FA74B3B-984B-4CDE-A5F7-EA0B1BFED0FC.jpeg

923C3463-2927-4976-A09A-0A4D08BF0383.jpeg

7. EVSteve

8. GWord

GWord Member

Nice. I see you went with 295s.

• Like x 1
  9. EVSteve

B4D99AC5-5C28-4AF0-8621-80C543BAAB2F.jpeg
    Yes for the time being. Next round of tires I may bump to 305. Shortly after install I got a “acceleration reduced warning” but the car doesn’t really feel any different. Service appt tomorrow to see if it’s related or just a freak timing coincidence.

10. GWord

GWord Member

I suspect unrelated. I can't imagine what sensor / system a wheel change affects beyond TPMS, unless you have some sort of weird diameter mismatch that is making the ABS sensors freak out. But even then I would think that the error message would more specific to ABS / traction control disabled yadda yadda....

11. EVSteve

Correct you are. Main battery contactors failing no big deal. Parts ordered so I’ll just be driving around with this warning on the screen for a bit.

Fun fact if you have aftermarket wheels don’t sell your factory ones. You’ll need to put them back on prior to any service which requires wheel removal. The SC will not touch aftermarket wheels.

• Informative x 1
  12. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

Good 2 know