Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lasik and windshield tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious for folks who have had lasiks done and have night vision problems with glare/haloes. I'm getting my car tinted in the next couple of weeks and was asked if I wanted to tint my front windshield. I intially thought no way since I have glare and haloing at night with oncoming headlights, street and stoplights but upon reading, it seems like the film can help cut down glare. Curious for those who have night vision issues, especially from lasiks, have you noticed a difference (better or worse) after installing windshield tint? If I were to do it, I'd likely be installing 3M Ceramic IR 70 for the front as that's the tint I'll be using all around on my Y. Thanks in advance!

Is it ever a good idea to tint your windshield?

I understand the OP is probably talking about fairly light tint.. but I've noticed this trend becoming ever more popular. At first, it was a Florida thing. But now it's more common in more states, including Maryland where I'm located. And I've definitely noticed it's very popular with the Tesla community. Having driven cars with the rear & passenger windows tinted for the past 25 years ago.. it's a tremendous help for privacy and keeping the cabin cooler during the hot summer months. But there is absolutely reduced visibility at night. Especially in low lit areas void of street lamps.

That said there are 3 things I would never tint. The windshield, headlights, or taillights on a vehicle. Just seems like anything bad happens and you are already partly the blame because you reduced the visibility of those 3 areas that are absolutely necessary for driving.

I understand the OP is probably talking about fairly light tint.. but I've noticed this trend becoming ever more popular. At first, it was a Florida thing. But now it's more common in more states, including Maryland where I'm located. And I've definitely noticed it's very popular with the Tesla community. Having driven cars with the rear & passenger windows tinted for the past 25 years ago.. it's a tremendous help for privacy and keeping the cabin cooler during the hot summer months. But there is absolutely reduced visibility at night. Especially in low lit areas void of street lamps.

That said there are 3 things I would never tint. The windshield, headlights, or taillights on a vehicle. Just seems like anything bad happens and you are already partly the blame because you reduced the visibility of those 3 areas that are absolutely necessary for driving.
Also note, that tinting the windshield is illegal in California except for the top 4 inches.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal in MD.

Agree that the windshield is never a good idea. There are sunshades for when you are parked.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal in MD.

Agree that the windshield is never a good idea. There are sunshades for when you are parked.
Yes, it's illegal in MD. I put a 5% strip at the top, which is very helpful. That's legal as long as you don't go below the little AS1 marker on the passenger's side of the windshield. I'm going to put a ~6" 5% strip at the front of the roof as well. I don't like the sun coming through there and hitting my glasses.

In Illinois it is legal to tint the windshield. It is akin to wearing sunglasses. That’s the easiest way to describe it. So, if you’re already having problems seeing well at night while driving, tinting the windshield makes your vision all the darker, which is a deal-breaker. Looks great, works great during daylight hours, but SUCKS in the dark.

Yes, it's illegal in MD. I put a 5% strip at the top, which is very helpful. That's legal as long as you don't go below the little AS1 marker on the passenger's side of the windshield. I'm going to put a ~6" 5% strip at the front of the roof as well. I don't like the sun coming through there and hitting my glasses.
Does the color of the tint matter in reflecting the sun? could a 70% 3M crystalline strip provide the same sun reflection or does the darker color also help by creating shade??

Personally, I wouldn't even consider 70% for the windshield strip. It'd do almost nothing up there. Since I never look through that area of my windshield, 5% made sense. I didn't go as low as the AS1 mark though. In hindsight, I might have gone an inch lower. With the strip only costing $13, I may redo it 1" lower.

if you look at the right side of jy pic, you can see my AS1 mark.
20220401_113333.jpg

Thanks for the helpful replies, odd, I thought I would get notices on this thread automatically sent to me as the OP, otherwise I would have seen these sooner. Still kind of on the fence about it. I sat in 70% windshield tint during the day and its hardly different than no tint but night I guess is where it makes the most difference. I could go Crystalline 90 but yeah, the main reason would be heat rejection. I do notice a difference with heat coming from the windshield vs. from the sides which have now been tinted a few weeks.

They're pushing ceramic clear tint on the windshield here in CA. Waste of money, IMO. Adds significantly to the cost (cost me an extra $200 or 28% to get my windshield tinted), and doesn't attenuate heat like a darker tint will. Ceramic is not the wonder product they'll tell you it is.

Interesting enough I had LASIK exactly a month ago.. but tinted my Y including the windshield (50%) about 6 months ago. Vision is fine and dont notice the halos I was warned about.

Only regret is paying extra for ceramic. I knew I didn’t want it. Paid extra for it. And regret wasting the extra $200 for it.

In Illinois it is legal to tint the windshield. It is akin to wearing sunglasses. That’s the easiest way to describe it. So, if you’re already having problems seeing well at night while driving, tinting the windshield makes your vision all the darker, which is a deal-breaker. Looks great, works great during daylight hours, but SUCKS in the dark.
This is 100% not true. It is ILLEGAL in Illinois.