Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2021 Model Y factory 19" wheels will be "Darker" + More "info" from dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to the group and just went in to test drive a MY with the wife today. We love it and will probably purchase in a few months when her current lease is up. A few interesting things the sales guy told me. New MY will start shipping soon with 19" Geminis that are dark grey/black and more matte then the current ones (the actual wheel under the hub cap). He also mentioned that they will start shipping with interior front dash piece that wraps and follows through the doors and that the interior front door panels were redesigned. Anyone else hear similar or is it BS? I know everything Tesla rumor should be taken with a grain of salt but he seemed pretty specific and knowledgeable.

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash
If your wife’s lease is up in a few months you’ll probably want to order now - you can always do a one-time delivery day if, for some odd reason, it comes sooner than that.
Thanks for the heads up but we have another vehicle for her to drive in the interim while we figure out what we want to do. But yes looks like current delivery is jan 2022 ish is we ordered today.

Reactions: Deutsch100
I don't know if they have different wheels. Every image I looked at were the same and even their order page.

Attachments

• China.png
    China.png
    523.1 KB · Views: 737
Seeing as how many people are powdercoating the gemini wheels black, I would hope Tesla changes the bright silver color to a darker color to match the trim. I never understood their decision to go with bright silver for the gemini aero covers and wheels since they got rid of the chrome trim. They have updated the tempest aero covers for the 19" wheels on the MS to have darker accents instead of the bright silver so it would make sense for them to do the same on for the MY. However, most new features have been rolled out in China first before making it to NA models and I haven't seen any updates to the wheels on the MY there.

The added trim on the door cards rolled out in China around March and made it to the NA Model 3's a few months ago so I assume it is going to finally come to Model Y soon.

For ref: Updated Tempest wheel covers with updated dark accents compared to bright silver
1630652881031.png
1630652956995.png

Last edited:
I was wrong about the Chinese wheels. I must have been remembering something else. The interior, though, and hopefully, should be catching up with the Chinese Y's. Here is a recent video from Bjorn testing a new M-Y, not Performance. You'll see the new interior doors (at the end), and the 19" wheels at the very beginning. Bjorn changes the 19's to 18's because he thought the ride was too harsh with the stock Gemini's.

New to the group and just went in to test drive a MY with the wife today. We love it and will probably purchase in a few months when her current lease is up. A few interesting things the sales guy told me. New MY will start shipping soon with 19" Geminis that are dark grey/black and more matte then the current ones (the actual wheel under the hub cap). He also mentioned that they will start shipping with interior front dash piece that wraps and follows through the doors and that the interior front door panels were redesigned. Anyone else hear similar or is it BS? I know everything Tesla rumor should be taken with a grain of salt but he seemed pretty specific and knowledgeable.
That would be fantastic. Hope you are right.

Seeing as how many people are powdercoating the gemini wheels black, I would hope Tesla changes the bright silver color to a darker color to match the trim. I never understood their decision to go with bright silver for the gemini aero covers and wheels since they got rid of the chrome trim. They have updated the tempest aero covers for the 19" wheels on the MS to have darker accents instead of the bright silver so it would make sense for them to do the same on for the MY. However, most new features have been rolled out in China first before making it to NA models and I haven't seen any updates to the wheels on the MY there.

The added trim on the door cards rolled out in China around March and made it to the NA Model 3's a few months ago so I assume it is going to finally come to Model Y soon.

For ref: Updated Tempest wheel covers with updated dark accents compared to bright silver View attachment 704585View attachment 704587
Personally, I don't like dark colored wheels. Reminds me of older days where the cheapest ugliest cars had black steel rims. I think it's a fad and in a few years people will want light colored wheels again. My personal favorite is polished aluminum; not as obnoxiously shiny as chrome but not as boring as painted. However, it's pretty uncommon these days. I'm waiting for it to come back in style.

Personally, I don't like dark colored wheels. Reminds me of older days where the cheapest ugliest cars had black steel rims. I think it's a fad and in a few years people will want light colored wheels again. My personal favorite is polished aluminum; not as obnoxiously shiny as chrome but not as boring as painted. However, it's pretty uncommon these days. I'm waiting for it to come back in style.

@Skotty I also miss brushed aluminum rims! I'm sure they'll make a comeback at some point. Also not a fan of dark/black rims.

@thestreets I wonder if your salesperson maybe saw a thread here not too long ago where someone saw a MY at a Tesla store/service center with blacked-out Gemini covers and thought it was something new they were testing out. However, it was pretty clear that it was actually a customer's vehicle, as it also had a storage bin mounted to the roof and maybe another minor tweak or two. Often rumors & conjecture continue to propagate even after being debunked.

But yes, as noted by others, the door panels are highly probably to come to North American builds at some point, thought nobody can say when. I'm personally not a fan, so I'm happy we got ours before that particular change.

I suspect the interior changes will come along to standardize all MY's - I kind of like the pieces in the doors that integrate with the dashboard look. As far as the wheels, if that's the case, I'm glad I got mine when I did. I strongly dislike anything but alloy-finished/colored wheels.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I've had at least four cars with brushed aluminum wheels. None were overly reflective, and all were plain-jane. When one looked at the car, they saw the car and not the wheels first. So I'd be perfectly OK if they kept the same wheels on the Y. Not sure how I'd feel about a dark grey though without seeing it first. Perhaps with some exterior colors they might look good without the plastic covers.

It's been confirmed that the Chinese Model 3 "Power Sports" wheels will fit the Model Y.
It would be great if we could get those over here!

Pictures here:
Yes, those are nice. I'm not a huge fan of the Gemini (actually Apollo) wheels because they are a little too 'fiddly' for me - too many spokes and the narrow gaps are hard to clean. But these are sharp.

I've had at least four cars with brushed aluminum wheels. None were overly reflective, and all were plain-jane. When one looked at the car, they saw the car and not the wheels first. So I'd be perfectly OK if they kept the same wheels on the Y. Not sure how I'd feel about a dark grey though without seeing it first. Perhaps with some exterior colors they might look good without the plastic covers.
I don't know what the gemini's would look like in dark grey but I went with dark grey for my aftermarket wheels. I think it looks pretty good. The factory 18" on the Model 3 are all dark grey and they look pretty good on all the Tesla colors.

Attachments

• 20210808_095536.jpg
    20210808_095536.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: cusetownusa
Gemini (actually Apollo)
Yes... true...

I don't know what the gemini's would look like in dark grey but I went with dark grey for my aftermarket wheels.

I think they would look pretty dang good, to be honest.

These aren't actually painted, but I found two photos of unmodified "Gemini"/Apollo wheels from eBay listings taken under dramatically different lighting conditions... so much so that the one photo actually looks gunmetal grey. I thought they were powdercoated at first, but the listing description says otherwise. But even so, side-by-side, this gives a pretty good idea how they would look. 👍

Tesla Gemini - Color Comparison.jpg

Reactions: cusetownusa