Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late entry level M3 (out of general)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking and thinking about this for days, but I don't get it. Tell me again why Tesla is creating demand for the model 3 p version by having test drives when they haven't even gone through the whole back long from the first day reservation holders? EVERY SINGLE ONE of those reservation holders should be built first, no matter what option, before they try and grab new customers.

I've been waiting over 2 years now, I would like my car. They didn't specify in 2016 who would get what version first. We've been through they had to make the high margin version cars first from the res. holders, but now, they are going to skip over people who want THE CAR THEY ADVERTISED IN 2016 for new people who want a p version?

35k model so far is VAPORWARE. Where is it!?!?! I loved everything about this company and spread their name wherever I went, but now, I'm a disgruntled future customer.

Give me all the "disagrees" you want to, but I don't care. I'm frustrated to no end and can't believe its turned out this way.

Here's the deal: you can have your $35k SR base, but with about 6 months of manufacturer support and Supercharging, after which you're on your own.

This is absolutely incorrect. Here is Elon during the reveal promising deliveries by end of 2017 while mentioning the price of $35k. And right before that he claimed production in excess of 500k/year for Fremont. So taken together an informed buyer at that time would have expected to take delivery of a $35k optionless car somewhere first half of 2018. Tesla has breached the trust of people who put down $1000 with that very reasonable expectations. If you deny reality, you can't expect the other side to accept the explanations of what's the current state of affairs.
Ah, right you are. Thanks for pointing out where I was mistaken on this.

What was moved up by two years after the reveal was the target of 500K cars, not the beginning of production. So what they drastically accelerated was the planning, materials sourcing, and build-out of the infrastructure necessary to attempt that.

Even then, I believe the original point I was attempting to make holds true: People putting down reservations in March of 2016 did so with the expectation if would be much longer before they got their cars. Tesla pushed that significantly forward and reduced that wait substantially... so being upset about the wait at this point seems to ignore this effort on their part, as well as their priority/batching that they've always followed.

Reactions: EinSV and neroden
I agree with the gist of this post. Minor quibble with your post: the reservations opened before the reveal and the state of affairs then was that Elon had promised 500k/year production in 2020 (I believe on Twitter, not sure though).

No, I can understand you thinking that because that's been the common refrain from some here : Tesla isn't late, it's according to original plan. That message however is a manufactured lie. Let's set that record straight right now.

July 2014, the Tesla Twitter account tweeted the first official reference for the Model 3 with a link to an exclusive article from autoexpress. Unfortunately the original article isn't available on the web anymore but here is driving.ca reporting on it with this money quote

Driving.co said:
According to a report from Auto Express, the Model 3 will be 20% smaller than the Model S. The car is planned to be unveiled by 2016 and should be on sale by 2017.

Remember, that's the official Tesla account linking to tthat particular timeline.

By the time reveal came, the habitual slippage had started to set into the minds of buyers, but no way 2020 was a realistic prospect. In fact, in the days leading up to the reveal it was already well known that there was huge demand and Elon himself had already hinted at bringing forward the production timeline. Here is what electrek said, two days before the reveal

https://electrek.co/2016/03/29/reserve-tesla-model-3-thursday/ said:
You’re reading that correctly: Tesla will be allowing public pre-orders for the Model 3 hours before anyone even sees it. So why would anyone put down $1,000 to reserve a car, sight-unseen, that is probably 2 years away from delivery?

Conclusion : first half of 2018 was the common assumption in the days leading up to the reveal. It got brought forward to second half of 2017 a few days after the reveal.

(For those who really want to go back in time, look up Tesla Bluestar, which Elon said was going to be between $20k and $30k at one point rumoured for release in 2016).[/QUOTE]

Reactions: neroden
Sorry for the rant last night. My general thesis still stands - they were not ready and should not have advertised for the amount they did and the execution has been horrible. Anyway, if you can't complain about Tesla on here, where can ya.......... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bro1999
No, I can understand you thinking that because that's been the common refrain from some here : Tesla isn't late, it's according to original plan. That message however is a manufactured lie. Let's set that record straight right now.

July 2014, the Tesla Twitter account tweeted the first official reference for the Model 3 with a link to an exclusive article from autoexpress. Unfortunately the original article isn't available on the web anymore but here is driving.ca reporting on it with this money quote

Remember, that's the official Tesla account linking to tthat particular timeline.

By the time reveal came, the habitual slippage had started to set into the minds of buyers, but no way 2020 was a realistic prospect. In fact, in the days leading up to the reveal it was already well known that there was huge demand and Elon himself had already hinted at bringing forward the production timeline. Here is what electrek said, two days before the reveal

Conclusion : first half of 2018 was the common assumption in the days leading up to the reveal. It got brought forward to second half of 2017 a few days after the reveal.

(For those who really want to go back in time, look up Tesla Bluestar, which Elon said was going to be between $20k and $30k at one point rumoured for release in 2016).
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for refreshing my memory. I stand corrected and tip my hat to you, sir.

As an early Model 3 reservation holder with the SR M3 in mind, I have to say that ggies07 does make a point.

When the early reservation holders (SR and LR versions alike) took a chance and did something most other car buyers write off as idiotic: paying for a car that you won't drive for a few years down the line.

A reasonable post. I'll only point out that putting down 3% of the car's promised cost as a fully refundable reservation holder is not remotely "paying for a car". Most other car buyers don't aspire to helping a visionary company accelerate the transition to renewable energy. Those of us who have given $1K to reserve do.

Tesla has breached the trust of people who put down $1000 with that very reasonable expectations. If you deny reality, you can't expect the other side to accept the explanations of what's the current state of affairs.

I suppose reasonable people can disagree over when it's appropriate to describe doing what's needed to succeed with the company's mission as a "breach of trust". My view is that doing so shows a lack of perspective. Any of us who have some knowledge of corporate and governmental history could come up with dozens, hundreds of genuine breaches of trust. Not refunding a 1K reservation deposit if requested would be a breach of trust. Dropping the reservation queue to get the company profitable and able to borrow to continue ramping, is mouse nuts.

Data point: Just got an email from my co-worker who was on the reservation list, but far down compared to me as I was pre-reveal, they just ordered their car since it's open to everyone now. Cool. I still have to wait. Thanks Tesla! :)

• Funny
Reactions: bro1999
I'm not going to stop on this subject - I want every long/fanboy to understand that if you strip my emotion away, I'm right. Our minds are being warped by the continual movement of dates from Tesla. This is from the Q1 '18 letter -

After achieving a production rate of 5,000 per week, we will begin offering new options such as all-wheel-drive and the base model with a standard-sized battery pack.

It says nothing about the P version. It says nothing about opening up the config for everyone.

I want to see the SR model in the hands of 100,000's of people before the company shows or talks about another product like the Y.

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV
Looks like the epa estimate on the SR 3 is out and Tesla is quoting 215 miles. A bit surprised to see it less than bolt, but now that the 15 minutes of fame for bolt is past, I don't think anyone cares enough to compare.

After driving both a leaf and the LR3, I think it's plenty.

• Informative
I remember all that, it's how the are executing that I have a problem with. They fumble the beginning of the manufacturing, then bump back 3 times, then announce the P version, then announce test drives.

Again, why is everyone glossing over the fact they are not going through the reservations first?
Speaking as someone who reserved a standard-range model early on 1 April (after the reveal...I needed to be sure Model 3 looked good), I knew Tesla was promising to make that car but I also knew they weren't saying when. Earlier this year (March) when it became clear the SR model was getting pushed further and further back, I canceled. I figured if I wanted to jump back in at some time, the wait would be insignificant compared to time already served, and there might be other options to choose from. I get your frustration, but nobody promised you a car by any date certain. Only estimates, and those estimates proved false. Ditching the reservation queue while underway does seem pretty snarky, though. I am glad not to still be in that queue. The Right Thing to do would be a personal letter from EM to everyone on the list still waiting for their car, with a $1,000 check, explaining what happened, what Tesla needs, and giving the recipient the option to stay the course or cash it.
Robin

Speaking as someone who reserved a standard-range model early on 1 April (after the reveal...I needed to be sure Model 3 looked good), I knew Tesla was promising to make that car but I also knew they weren't saying when. Earlier this year (March) when it became clear the SR model was getting pushed further and further back, I canceled. I figured if I wanted to jump back in at some time, the wait would be insignificant compared to time already served, and there might be other options to choose from. I get your frustration, but nobody promised you a car by any date certain. Only estimates, and those estimates proved false. Ditching the reservation queue while underway does seem pretty snarky, though. I am glad not to still be in that queue. The Right Thing to do would be a personal letter from EM to everyone on the list still waiting for their car, with a $1,000 check, explaining what happened, what Tesla needs, and giving the recipient the option to stay the course or cash it.
Robin
You would still get SR priority if you stay in queue. Could mean the difference between getting 3750 or 1875 or even nothing at all in credit.

Do you know for a fact that reservation date has any bearing on Tesla's delivery scheme? Have they actually gone on record and said so? I missed it if they did.
Robin
It does. If you're getting the same configuration and in the same geographic area, they will put earlier reservations ahead of later ones. Only makes a difference if there's a huge waiting list for a particular configuration, of course.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K