Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest 5 Seat Photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that the access spot for the manual charge cable release?
(Time to derail this thread about First World Problems... :) I didn't know there was a manual charge cable release. Googled it and found confirmation at Faulty Charger Plug Release | Tesla Motors

Back on topic... if I bought an X the 5 seat config would definitely be optimal for me. I rarely use the second row in my S. The X bench seat supports look fine to me, clean and simple, preserving the useful space below those seats. I like the new concealed storage space where the 3rd row seat bases used to be. The price savings are significant. Looks like a win/win for a large segment of the X market. I think the 5 seat config will prove to be a very popular choice.

The price savings are significant. Looks like a win/win for a large segment of the X market. I think the 5 seat config will prove to be a very popular choice.
Probably what they should have started with, but I would have allowed it to move forward/backward so you could still use the 3rd row. Not sure what to do about the platform in that situation though, but maybe it would only make sense without a 3rd row, like it does today.

Back on topic... if I bought an X the 5 seat config would definitely be optimal for me. I rarely use the second row in my S. The X bench seat supports look fine to me, clean and simple, preserving the useful space below those seats. I like the new concealed storage space where the 3rd row seat bases used to be. The price savings are significant. Looks like a win/win for a large segment of the X market. I think the 5 seat config will prove to be a very popular choice.
Mmhmm.. if you found yourself shopping for an X... ;)

I'm eager to see one in person. It won't fit our needs as-is, but it'll be fun to see the space nearly as originally promised.

I'll tell you what's terrible...

• The misaligned seats are inexcusable
  • The ugly bench hinges are showing without the shelf installed
  • Now you have to find a place to store the carpeted board when not in use
  • Small items stowed under the shelf are likely to slide forward beneath the bench
  • The bench posts are unattractive and asymmetrical
  • The carpet on the seat backs looks unfinished
  • The matte black plastic trim looks cheap
  • The seat lever is unattractive and unfortunately very prominent
  • I ordered a vehicle that was advertised with moving monopost seats and now I'm forced to accept this aesthetic compromise for functionality I never requested
  • Tesla has contacted me exactly once since I placed my order last January to tell me my car would be delivered mid-2016 (which never materialized)
  • Tesla doesn't have 5-seat models available to view and try out before my car will actually be delivered
  • Now I have to decide whether or not to accept this compromise
I can't understand how anyone finds this acceptable for a car that costs as much as it does.

Tesla has recently updated the Design Studio to show the updated folding image, that has many details not shown here (including glossy sides, more finished storage compartment cover with a loop and back wall and seatback undersides with extensions to cover more)... This image used to be hidden but now they show it as the main Design Studio image for folded design so the change seems intentional.

Let's hope that is a sign this car in the photos is merely an unfinished prototype/earlier iteration in a demo car. Not that the Design Studio looks infinitely better or anything, but at least it looks somewhat more finished... Though the seat placement further back is better in the photos than in the Design Studio and is one of those curious differences between the photoshop/Design Studio and what we see in real life...

I explored these differences in detail in a post here: Flat Fold second row now available.

W8Sw6FD.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EarlyAdopter
I usually keep the 3rd row folded for pets but sometimes move more people than dogs so all the seats do get filled at times. A folding middle seat would definitely improve utility of my seven seater so I could have more storage and dogs at the same time. I would not trade a 7-seater for a 5 without a rear AC system though.

Can't you postpone until you can see one in person? That seems fair to me.

I suppose, but they already have my $5K and I understand my car is being built now... I ordered the first week of January. However, the decision to fish or cut bait is inevitable regardless of whether I postpone. I just wish I had more official information, photos, specs or anything really. The total radio silence from Tesla is quite awkward given they are already supposedly delivering these 5-seat cars... don't you think?

Last edited:
Believe they are rolling out information as soon aås it is available.

Automakers resist putting out information on future products as a rule.

Don't announce to individuals until ready to announce to the general public.

That is not actually true at all in the automotive industry, where long lead and development times have traditionally resulted in very early announcements. Future model versions and features are routinely announced months (sometimes a year) before they are available. Old models are sold at discounts and with discounted feature packages to keep the sales going in the meanwhile. Roadmaps are well known in advance.

Tesla in this sense is more like the consumer electronics industry (or maybe just Apple) that has honed the secrecy to an art with more unpredictable changes. Tesla is different which makes buying one a rather difficult task. Elon likes to say now as in always is a good time to buy a Tesla, but the other way of looking at it - for the consumer - is never is a good time. :)

That said, Tesla's secrecy on the exacts of the Model X five seater goes even beyond that. They are already selling it, it is already announced and yet little detail is available. That may be the result of either bad comms or they are still changing/fixing/adjusting the product, in which case it may have more to do with Tesla's immature production than sales/marketing.

Even Apple tells you (and let's at least press see) what a new iPhone has before you order it, right? :)

Reactions: F123456
Just joined TMC. Was posting at the Tesla MX forum that I think the back seat looks fine. Here is what my DS sent me-
They were doing pre-delivery inspection at the Cleveland SC, so the 'big handle' on the side was taken off to inspect wire connections.
Honestly, I am not bothered by the looks. I have 'small hands', so a long handle is harder to miss, Hahaha!
IMAG2885.jpg
IMAG2887.jpg

Just joined TMC. Was posting at the Tesla MX forum that I think the back seat looks fine. Here is what my DS sent me-
They were doing pre-delivery inspection at the Cleveland SC, so the 'big handle' on the side was taken off to inspect wire connections.
Honestly, I am not bothered by the looks. I have 'small hands', so a long handle is harder to miss, Hahaha!View attachment 205269 View attachment 205270
@yaw20
Thanks for posting these.

Did you see this in person or just what your DS sent you.I wonder what all the white flakes on the floor are.

I'm a former Pittsburgh myself...born and bred, till I left after college.Plan to go back Sept 2017 for HS Reunion and would like to drive from Colorado.

Nice to finally see the folding second row seat version.

Has anyone taken delivery?

I have heard there are some at the SCs but delivery on them is being delayed for some additional parts/adjustments.