Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest "Finalize your order" date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fwiw I was told by an unnamed store manager a month ago that the smaller battery cars will deferred until all the 85kwh reservations have been given their opportunity to finalize. (I'm just the messenger.)

I've heard that before also, but it doesn't make sense to me. I mean, with over 10k P reservations at this point, plus the Rs, it would seem a bit unfair to allow someone who reserved last week to get their car if they're getting an 85 kWh pack before someone who reserved years ago but only wants the 60 kWh pack. There must be some sort of cutoff for this where they're going to make all 85 kWh packs for awhile, but once they get to 2000 or 3000 cars or something they start making the 60 kWh packs, which would still allow them to meet the "November" date they've touted for production of those packs.

It wouldn't even really make sense. If they're going to start 60kWh production in November (it's right there on the web site), then obviously they will need people with finalized reservations for whom to build cars. I don't think they'll be finalizing the entire backlog of orders before that happens.

Fwiw I was told by an unnamed store manager a month ago that the smaller battery cars will deferred until all the 85kwh reservations have been given their opportunity to finalize. (I'm just the messenger.)
That's what I figured they'd do. Still produce however many 85's they were originally planning (not all of them as the above implies - 2 or 3 thousand as Arnold said) and so push 60's and 40's out a month or two.

I don't see why they don't just take your order now, seeing as how the late Sigs and R's are being told November, and the 60kWh battery is supposed to enter production in November. One of those statements must not be correct, and I'm hoping it's the former (meaning the Sigs and R's get their cars before Nov).

Agreed, I have the same problem on some web sites when ordering things. I could care less if the cheap t-shirts I want are in stock this second. If I order 10, ship them to me whenever, don't cancel my order over and over until I happen to order at the exact time when you have 10 in stock. But I presume that they keep going on the list. At some point they have a good idea that x percent are ordering 40, 60 or 85KW batteries and can then tool as appropriate.

I was shocked to receive my configure email yesterday and really was thinking I would have more time to do another test drive, see a few of the interior options in person and make an informed decision about the sound system. I also really want the info about the opportunity console to come out. I, as others, find the inside storage space significantly lacking and require that fixed before I would actually purchase a car. I may be in the minority, but the interior is more important than pretty much everything else, or at least it is a bar that must be passed before I would ever continue with any car purchase. I plan to sit in this car for 200,000+ miles, which works out to be around 6000 hours for my average speed. The interior has to be functional, comfortable and have storage places for everyday detritus for it to become a purchase reality for me.

While I respect opinion, I must agree you are in the minority by placing the importance of the interior over most everything else. The Tesla Model S is a wonderfully delightful luxury vehicle regarding performance, handling, design, style, and utility. I mentioned in another post, I am getting rid of my 7 series BMW for the Model S. The only clear cut areas I award my BMW is in the interior fit and finish and audio. Those exceptions are not enough for me pass on being an owner of the Model S and a former BMW loyalist. Now, that is just my opinion.

Isn't America great!

I don't see why they don't just take your order now, seeing as how the late Sigs and R's are being told November, and the 60kWh battery is supposed to enter production in November. One of those statements must not be correct, and I'm hoping it's the former (meaning the Sigs and R's get their cars before Nov).

I can see why they would want you to wait. If Tesla adds options mid-year, the folks who defer might want to choose those new options, and that would make for a confusing process to rescind or modify placed orders. The way Tesla did this - go by the reservation numbers to give owners the option to defer - is the right way.

Tesla could probably do a better job of notifying the reserver that picking certain options will delay their order. Perhaps only put the currently available options on the form, and an choice at the bottom "I want to wait for other configuration items and delay my order".

I heard this from the store directly as well, that 85kwh is the current focus which I guess overlaps with the fact that the Performance Sigs are being built first?

By the way, in "My Tesla" for my car it says:

The Tesla Factory is building your Model S Signature Performance

Does that mean the car is imminently ready to be released?

I heard this from the store directly as well, that 85kwh is the current focus which I guess overlaps with the fact that the Performance Sigs are being built first?
Last I checked this was a low confidence rumor, rather than Tesla-confirmed.

The Tesla Factory is building your Model S Signature Performance
Does that mean the car is imminently ready to be released?
As I understand it... No, it just means your paperwork is all in order and you're in the factory queue.

While I respect opinion, I must agree you are in the minority by placing the importance of the interior over most everything else. The Tesla Model S is a wonderfully delightful luxury vehicle regarding performance, handling, design, style, and utility. I mentioned in another post, I am getting rid of my 7 series BMW for the Model S. The only clear cut areas I award my BMW is in the interior fit and finish and audio. Those exceptions are not enough for me pass on being an owner of the Model S and a former BMW loyalist. Now, that is just my opinion.

Isn't America great!

Not to mention for all BMW has in interior quality it seriously lacks in intuitive controls for media/nav etc, I drive is horrible and I know plenty of owners who can barely change audio inputs and don't bother to figure out nav. I'd prefer the tesla interface and clean deaign over a few luxury bits with regard to the interior. The carbon fiber quality looks pretty good to me as well.

Has anyone who finalized their order experienced the trade-in process?

I'm interested to know:

What information about your trade-in vehicle are you being asked to provide?
Are you dealing with a Tesla middleman, or with their trade-in business partner AutoNation Direct?
Do they have to see the vehicle, do you need to send in pictures, or do they take you for your word?
And most important, how does the offer compare to Kelley's Blue Book trade-in value?

I understand that Tesla will take back the trade-in vehicle when they deliver your car.

Resevration #: Signature S 1278
Contact date: 7/30/12
Est. Delivery date: November, 2012
Optional Comments: Signature Red Performance Model S, Silver 21 inch wheels, carbon fiber spoiler, panoramic glass roof, black leather interior (grey not available yet...crap), carbon fiber interior highlights

I have heard that grey interior is going to become available in November. I was just wishing that it were an option.

If that's true you'll probably be the only Signature reservation holder where it might be possible (assuming that they offer it to Sigs at that time), because you're the only Signature with an estimated delivery in November. :wink:

Larry