Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Price Drop Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The moral of the story is: New prospective buyers - you DO NOT ORDER the car now, in a few months you will get a better deal.

What this message does to Tesla as company is obvious and should also be obvious to Musk.
Except that it is not, hubris abounds.

As for me ... I haven't yet taken delivery because my to-be car was determined defective a day before delivery.
And yet I got a final invoice listing a delivery charge - they want me to pay for the transport from delivery to service center even before I've received the vehicle.

I much prefer the old stinky dealership model to this.

• Disagree
Reactions: Xenius
The moral of the story is: To new prospective buyers - DO NOT ORDER the car now, in a few months you will get a better deal.

What this message does to a Tesla company in obvious and should also be obvious to Musk.
Except that it is not.
Hubris abounds.

So you'd suggest never changing prices and scalping people at higher and higher profit margins? How does that accelerate the transition to sustainable transport?

Answer: It doesn't.

Reactions: jgs
The moral of the story is: To new prospective buyers - DO NOT ORDER the car now, in a few months you will get a better deal.
This is just like purchasing any other high tech product. When you need the upgrade you get it (ideally just after a refresh of some kind). The real morale is "If you can purchase it, it's already obsolete". But does that mean you should do without? Using that logic means you will never purchase.

What does burning your customers do to you as a company?

The saying is already out there: 'Love the car, hate the company'.
It is well deserved.
The only difference between what Tesla does and what other car manufacturers do is transparency. Other manufacturers change prices to their customers all the time (their customers are the car dealers). As a consumer you don't see this. Because there are no dealers for Tesla to hide behind, you, as a consumer, see the changes.

Reactions: jgs and Xenius
The only difference between what Tesla does and what other car manufacturers do is transparency. Other manufacturers change prices to their customers all the time (their customers are the car dealers). As a consumer you don't see this. Because there are no dealers for Tesla to hide behind, you, as a consumer, see the changes.

This does not change a thing.
Me as a consumer just learned I should not pay for the car just yet, I should wait a few more months for the price to drop another few thousands. What is a few months wait if it will save me thousands?
And there is more and more of us thus educated.

If depreciation of any kind on your new car is something that hurts you financially, or causes you to fall into anxiety and despair over the purchase of your car, I submit you should not buy it. I further submit that you can’t afford it.

Everyone claims to know that a new car is the worst investment you could make (It should be referred to as a cash bonfire rather than an investment) but I routinely see people decrying the hits they are taking on the resale value of their cars for one reason or another.

You can support the mission and buy a good used car with great value. Used cars are a great way to minimize your personal environmental impact and to minimize or eliminate any personal financial losses you may fear from your car as an asset (which it absolutely is not. It is a liability.).

Tesla plans to flood the world with BEVs as fast as possible with computers that have wheels. Expect relentless margin improvement and a corresponding decrease in new car pricing. I suspect that it is mostly over for a good while, especially on a percentage basis, but one never knows.

I take a hit on my Sig X and M3 on a daily basis. Expected nothing less.

Me as a consumer just learned I should not pay for the car just yet, I should wait a few more months for the price to drop another few thousands. What is a few months wait if it will save me thousands?
Waiting a few months to purchase a computer will also save you thousands (or at least hundreds depending upon the type of computer you purchase). Then wait a few months more and you'll again save. This is just how it works in the high tech world.

The moral of the story is: New prospective buyers - you DO NOT ORDER the car now, in a few months you will get a better deal.

What this message does to Tesla as company is obvious and should also be obvious to Musk.
Except that it is not, hubris abounds.

As for me ... I haven't yet taken delivery because my to-be car was determined defective a day before delivery.
And yet I got a final invoice listing a delivery charge - they want me to pay for the transport from delivery to service center even before I've received the vehicle.

I much prefer the old stinky dealership model to this.

I don’t believe destination charges are negotiable.

Are destination charges negotiable?

Yeah, still haven't received my spoiler. Still have paint issues. Still have water getting into my cabin from a car wash. Still get pushback or no comms from service. Every time someone posts a totally reasonable concern a thousand stans come on here victim blaming. Maybe empathize that these actions do hurt the early adopters, especially when compounded with the overlooked QC during that time period, and realize we have legitimate concerns.

And wholly cow - look at all the features that are in the current washing machines, dryers, and refrigerators. At a lower price from two years ago! I really should have waited. Now I know.

You continue ignoring to the difference between $60.000, $6.000 and $600
No. If I purchase the new Mac Pro due this fall, it will cost about $50-60K equipped to my specifications (all the prices aren't out there yet). If I wait a year or two it will cost $40K. Back in the day, an SGI Octane cost about $50K fully equipped, but the price dropped over time as well. I don't see a difference here. If you wait, you can always purchase a high tech product for less. At some point the need for the functionality offered is at the point you want to pay for that functionality. Beating up on Tesla because they are a high tech product is kind of silly.