Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Price Drop Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, of course it is! I'm just saying that you can get "Prices paid" data and see where you fell, at that point in time. I know I did better than most, but not all, and I'm happy with that relative position. With Telsa, I have no control - it just happens.

I prefer to live in a world where products have prices and what you pay is not determined by arbitrary factors like your race or sex.

At a "Stealership," you can negotiate. I'm blessed with a good skill there and always end up on the far left of the "Average Prices Paid" Bell curve. Many others end up to the right (or even far right) of that. So for me, I would be waaaaaaaay better off if Tesla's model was the same as every other Stealership.

I agree that some people feel like they got a good deal at dealerships. but i know for a fact that the car doesn't move if the dealer doesn't hit a certain price target. sometimes it just "feels" like you got a deal.

i think this is the OPs core issue in reverse. the price drops have made him feel like he got screwed. in an abstract sense i can understand this. i know where this feeling is coming from. but it's an emotional response that can only be rationalized by "coulda, shoulda, woulda" which is a dangerous game to play.

and i agree that the Model S has depreciated faster than I thought it would. (ditto for the X) the jury is still out on the 3.. but I suspect in time the 3 will also not hold it's value as new technology comes out to surpass it.

The tesla community in general has a really hard time with anything that is deemed as critical towards tesla.

....unless they want their $5k refund for performance.

....or until they have a 6 month wait for repair parts.

Not when it is actual criticism, you are basically complaining about a decision YOU MADE. Every company changes the prices on their products, EVERYONE.

So when Tesla decides they have to change the price of the car, they need to clear it with you first and get your approval?

Heres a protip, the price will change again soon...

I agree that some people feel like they got a good deal at dealerships. but i know for a fact that the car doesn't move if the dealer doesn't hit a certain price target. sometimes it just "feels" like you got a deal.

i think this is the OPs core issue in reverse. the price drops have made him feel like he got screwed. in an abstract sense i can understand this. i know where this feeling is coming from. but it's an emotional response that can only be rationalized by "coulda, shoulda, woulda" which is a dangerous game to play.

and i agree that the Model S has depreciated faster than I thought it would. (ditto for the X) the jury is still out on the 3.. but I suspect in time the 3 will also not hold it's value as new technology comes out to surpass it.

Agreed, but one point you missed on the Stealerships - They have monthly margin (your point) and volume goals. They need certain volumes to protect their "allocation" from the OEM. If they are falling short on volume, they bend more on margin. Also, if there lot is over-full, with more coming in, they flex on margin goal (on any one particular unit), just to move the inventory.

1. It’s about the mission: The mission is complete. Transportation will now radically change with or without Tesla. It’s only a matter of time. The new mission if Tesla chooses to accept it is to not borrow billions of dollars every time it needs to keep the lights on.
  2. My iPad went on sale: Stop comparing a car price drop to a tablet or a TV price drop. Something you buy on Black Friday is in no way comparable to something you finance and spend 20% of your income on for 6 years.
  3. Tech prices go down: Cars get improvements but generally cost the same or more every year. Tesla’s price drops are not organic. They are artificial and funded by borrowing from investors and selling below cost.
  4. I saved on gas: Stop computing how much money you saved on gas over ownership as justification for a price drop. That does not play into the depreciation of a car.
  5. Stop whining: Every time you attack someone personally who is upset that their car is now $20k cheaper, you alienate them further from the Tesla community and make yourself look completely out of touch with reality.
  6. You should have known: (Yes) buyers knew Tesla wanted to release a $35k Model 3 with a basic cloth interior. (No) buyers had no clue that almost the exact car they bought for double the price would be sold at a loss as the $35k car thanks to the magic of partial premium interiors and disabled seat heaters.
  7. Cars depreciate: Stop comparing insane price drops to natural depreciation. Price drops accelerate depreciation and put buyers way underwater on their cars. It makes buyers look and feel foolish.
  8. You agreed to a price: On a car financed with interest over years, anyone who says “that was the price you agreed to,” a day after a $10k price drop, is either rich or doesn’t own a Tesla. There is an implied contract that goes with every big purchase, that you are being treated fairly and that your purchase will not lose 20% of its value overnight.
  9. Robotaxi’s are coming: No matter how far along the tech is, it will take years for people to accept and approve self-driving. In the meantime, why not raise prices a little and stop borrowing billions of dollars. It is okay to become successful in stages.
  10. All dealerships do this: Please stop parroting how all dealerships change prices but we don’t see it. The bottom line is that Elon is standing on the backs of his biggest fans and most loyal employees to try and usher in the mission. Wild price swings, unfulfilled promises, lost jobs, and lost equity in cars felt month after month on every payment means people fall out of love with Tesla. The long term consequences are unknown because no other company would treat its loyal customers this way.

oh cool, now do someone like Audi or BMW....when they have a software feature that could be added to older cars that are hardware capable, but if you want it, you need to buy a whole new car (Apple car play/Anrdoid Auto)

It's about being true to your own finances. You can have a rigorous approach to tracking your financial health or you can be loosey goosey and be poor.
You're making a false dichotomy. My point is that you're proposing irrelevant metrics for tracking your financial health. Depreciation is only relevant if you expect to need to recapture the depreciated value. I, for one, do not. I would argue (like many others on this thread) that anyone who buys a personal vehicle and requires predictable depreciation in order to be financially successful, has already made their fatal error. Aren't leases (which I don't use) intended for people with such requirements? Of course you end up paying more, but nothing (including predictability) comes for free.

In Nov 2017 I bought my S75D for a bit more than I can now buy a Long Range with same options, something I really wanted but couldn’t accept the 20k premium.

I take solace in the fact that early adopters paid through their noses for...... much less than what we get now :D

• Love
Reactions: StealthP3D