Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
aaah. MY AWD 330 miles EPA; M3 AWD 333 miles EPA... such a vast range difference. OMG.

agree though that at highway speeds the delta will grow.

that being said... on even slightly steep parking garage ramps my stock Model 3 AWD can bottom out if you are not careful. I would get a Y / Mach E next time and not again a 3 with non existent ground clearance... every inch really helps...
“every inch really helps...”

That’s what she said. (couldn’t resist)

Not necessarily. One option is for Tesla to sell several variants that are optimised by use case rather than battery size.

Right, but we already have one of each for sale right now, with one being the full package….. RIVIAN

The “Performance” is awesome says Elon….

His first time driving a fast truck I suppose

Where are the specs and price?

My prediction based on some knowledge is we'll see something along the lines of this:

Dual Motor :100-133 KWH pack 300-350ish range
Dual Motor + :133 KWH pack probably better performance and range 350+
Quad Motor: I never saw any numbers on the pack size for this one(Performance/Plaid) 400+

I could be totally wrong on this, things change a ton, just what I could see. I think the costs estimated were around 40K to make for the lowest trim

Plus the main reason the current "performance" 3 or Y has worse range is the stupid big wheels on it... when they still made the P3D- it had the same range as the non-performance AWD model- no reason they can't do that with CT.

This is a sadly generic problem. Even the new Prius Prime will have a base model with 44 miles AER and "17-in. alloy wheels with wheel covers and 195/60R17 tires" while the mid and higher specs will have 39 miles AER and "19-in. alloy wheels P195/50R19 tires".

This crapitude even prompted me to email Toyota* to ask whether they'd consider offering the Prius Prime mid spec with the 17" since the base model won't offer heated seats. My commute is 41.5 to 42.5 miles.

* At the time we were considering a replacement PHEV as our 2nd vehicle, but my wife now is OK with waiting a couple of years for more infrastructure expansion and getting a 2nd EV that charges faster than our Kona..

Reactions: navguy12
Plus the main reason the current "performance" 3 or Y has worse range is the stupid big wheels on it... when they still made the P3D- it had the same range as the non-performance AWD model- no reason they can't do that with CT.
I think the Model X is more instructive here. Wheels and battery size are the same between LR and Plaid. The ONLY difference is the motors. LR range is 348 and Plaid is 333. So there is a ~4% range penalty for the different motor configuration.

I think the Model X is more instructive here. Wheels and battery size are the same between LR and Plaid. The ONLY difference is the motors. LR range is 348 and Plaid is 333. So there is a ~4% range penalty for the different motor configuration.

I don't think we know which is more relevant though-- does the "performance" CT actually have different motors? AFAIK that's an unknown currently.

The non-P Model 3 and Model Y did not have different motors than the P version at launch (eventually they introduced a marginally different rear one for non-Ps but it didn't change efficiency and occasionally they would still make LR ones with the original motors too seemingly at random). Literally the only thing that made those early cars a "P" was software.

Until we have more details (or they add CT to the parts catalog) I don't think we can say which is the more likely "model" for what makes it a P.

I don't think we know which is more relevant though-- does the "performance" CT actually have different motors? AFAIK that's an unknown currently.

The non-P Model 3 and Model Y did not have different motors than the P version at launch (eventually they introduced a marginally different rear one for non-Ps but it didn't change efficiency and occasionally they would still make LR ones with the original motors too seemingly at random). Literally the only thing that made those early cars a "P" was software.

Until we have more details (or they add CT to the parts catalog) I don't think we can say which is the more likely "model" for what makes it a P.
Well, I'm mainly going by Elon's tweet that there will be a quad motor CT and I am equating that with the Performance model. Also, the CT is a large vehicle and what Tesla did on their current "large" vehicle IMO is more instructive than what Tesla did on their "small" vehicle. But yes, we are all speculating.

Well, I'm mainly going by Elon's tweet that there will be a quad motor CT and I am equating that with the Performance model. Also, the CT is a large vehicle and what Tesla did on their current "large" vehicle IMO is more instructive than what Tesla did on their "small" vehicle. But yes, we are all speculating.
Performance may be tri-motor based on Joe Tweets.
Recent Elon test drive + previous dual test drive + executive tri-motor review.
So much news=worthy events today at Giga Texas! One of which I mention in my video is that there is an Executive review of the final Master Candidate Cybertruck today (a Tri-Motor) and if this goes well, Cybertruck production for customer delivery vehicles can proceed! 1/2