Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that's a bit extreme. The company has gone from zero to being profitable and successful. The same has been accomplished with his other companies. One product that doesn't meet expectations doesn't equal a complete failure.

I see 3 primary challenges they had with this:
1. The battery development which was to lower costs is difficult and slow. That has always been the case in this space. Battery development is much more difficult than people think.
2. Working with stainless steel was more expensive than anticipated.
3. Tesla is now faced with actual competition in the marketplace. They need to stop cutting functionality and features to reduce costs, and they need to match what the competition is offering. The whole spartan approach, deleting turn signals, steering wheels, screens, Sirius XM, etc, etc, doesn't work when I can now buy another model which offers so much more.
Not just for the CT. For all the other poor product decisions over the last 3-4 years at least.

I think that's a bit extreme. The company has gone from zero to being profitable and successful. The same has been accomplished with his other companies. One product that doesn't meet expectations doesn't equal a complete failure.

I see 3 primary challenges they had with this:
1. The battery development which was to lower costs is difficult and slow. That has always been the case in this space. Battery development is much more difficult than people think.
2. Working with stainless steel was more expensive than anticipated.
3. Tesla is now faced with actual competition in the marketplace. They need to stop cutting functionality and features to reduce costs, and they need to match what the competition is offering. The whole spartan approach, deleting turn signals, steering wheels, screens, Sirius XM, etc, etc, doesn't work when I can now buy another model which offers so much more.
Did you see him last night?

he’s losing it. Sorry.

a CEO doest’t act like that.

Don’t think his performance today helped the stock price. Wait for it tomorrow…
Stock was down during the event….
If you look at the history, the stock usually goes down during any event they have….
However….
Stock price will be just fine. Their fourth-quarter numbers should beat projections
and the refresh highland 3 should absolutely kill it for sales for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
I dunno, pricing / functions / capacity / range all seem comparable or better to Ford Lightning, Silverado EV.
The Hummer gets slayed. I've got one in my neighborhood and it's just a monster in size alone, and the pricing is exorbitant.
Even current pricing on ICE pickups is quite comparable to the CT. Looked at them of late? Try to get one under 70K; good luck.

I'm hearing pity parties here.
I'm not a fan of the CT design per se but the feature set is quite good.
I came out of an Avalanche and it's utility value was huge; and it's the model for the Silverado EV).
I see a great deal of Avalanche crossover to the CT, with the exception of the midgate.
Yet I'd not want an early Silverado EV; battery tech and software iffy at best.
But I might take an early CT. Tesla track record is very good after the M3 and MY ramp ups.
No one is going to get close to an 'Pickup EV' these days unless you pre-ordered it years ago anyway.
I’m not quite seeing how this compares well with the Silverado EV that actually delivers 450 miles of range from the large pack. I’m on several Silverado EV forums and I’m seeing several real world ranges over 500 miles of range unloaded. Rumor is that GM is undergoing another round of EPA testing with recent improvements that may boost the official EPA rating up to 500 miles officially for the 213kwh pack. That’s pretty impressive especially considering what we just witnessed today at the CT launch event.

What he did say a long time ago was’’ if it flops we can build something else’’.

I say we are at that point now.

I mean they had what 6-7 years of design time at least, from the ground up and yet it’s not as good as the Ford or Rivian and more competition is on the way. Elon got smoked on every important issue. Look at Fords frunk as an example.

Maybe the real reason for the CT was to scare the bejesus out of Ford so they would be forced to compete or loose a large portion of their truck business.

If true, the CT is a resounding success in that regard even if all 10 deliveries were recalled and scrapped tommorow.

low demand doesn't mean braod availability.
Ford has 'paused' Lightning production twice now.
Rivian total deliveries for 2023 will likely be under 25,000. I see them around, but I live near their HQ.
Rivian is on track to deliver over 52k vehicles in 2023. They actually raised expectations in August from 50k to 52k, with an outsize of 54k possible.

I’m not quite seeing how this compares well with the Silverado EV that actually delivers 450 miles of range from the large pack. I’m on several Silverado EV forums and I’m seeing several real world ranges over 500 miles of range unloaded. Rumor is that GM is undergoing another round of EPA testing with recent improvements that may boost the official EPA rating up to 500 miles officially for the 213kwh pack. That’s pretty impressive especially considering what we just witnessed today at the CT launch event.
The Silverado with 450 miles will be few and far between. GM has already scaled back and everyone is fighting for batteries and battery resources. I don't think it's supposed to come to regular customers until 2025 as of now.

I think SS without paint will be no more expensive than Al or sheetmetal with paint. CT is optimized for assembly. Less wiring, large panels, castings. I guess the pieces that really expensive are the battery and the suspension. In two year, the price will be probably comparable with MY if it were given a double-sized battery.
I think you are wrong about SS. From the gigpress and the limits of 250k per year to the cost of steel and the weight.

The Silverado with 450 miles will be few and far between. GM has already scaled back and everyone is fighting for batteries and battery resources. I don't think it's supposed to come to regular customers until 2025 as of now.
A Cybertruck with 450 mile range (even with the $16k, ~1000 lb bed consuming range extender), will be few and far between.