Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can only get an EV Pickup if you want to pay a premium.
87K for a Rivian R1T ? Yeah, that's a value .....
Lightning for 50K ? don't hold your breath.
There are reasons.
This is completely false. There are 5 Lightnings at the lot by my house (less than 2 miles) that are under 60k. There are more if I expand to a 10 mile radius.

I get you want to be defensive of Tesla, but there's no reason to make stuff up.

There are reasons.
So, again, you're arbitrarily moving the goalposts to change the meaning of your original statement - which remains as untrue as the moment you said it.

60 seconds on Rivian's site shows an R1T available for delivery in 1-2 weeks at $80,000.

60 seconds on Autotrader shows a new F150L on a lot 50 miles from me for $51,470 ($500 under MSRP).

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 5.04.47 PM.png

So, again, you're arbitrarily moving the goalposts to change the meaning of your original statement - which remains as untrue as the moment you said it.

60 seconds on Rivian's site shows an R1T available for delivery in 1-2 weeks at $80,000.

60 seconds on Autotrader shows a new F150L on a lot 50 miles from me for $51,470 ($500 under MSRP).

View attachment 995243
That's the same thing I did.

View attachment 995243
You know the saying, “You can’t win an argument with an _____, so don’t bother trying…”

Reactions: ucmndd
146kwH pack = 340 miles?
This is incorrect. You must account for charging losses of 10-11%, roughly. Could be different but that is the default number.

Do this calculation for Rivian and you get 136kWh (apparently actual pack is 135kWh). For Ford you get 138kWh (which is wrong…not sure why it is so far off…my understanding is that the F150L is 131kWh but don’t know the provenance of that number). If it is actually a 131kWh pack they have massive charging losses (unlikely).

Reactions: T3SLAROD
There are reasons.

I can go buy a standard-range lightning for ~53K off the lot right now.

The extended range, on the other hand, are harder to come by, but can still be found.

Tesla never misses the opportunity to make money. What I see it that they discussed the price a few weeks back, and came up first with a legal requirement the owners can't resale the car in the first year. But then, they realized they can make money without that requirement and simply set the price high for now. When the market saturates with $80k CTs, believe me Tesla will drop the price to $70k, $60k or so , or include the extended battery with the original price. They designed this thing to be as cheap for production as possible. I think their margins for CT will be much higher now than for M3 or MY. My delivery is NET 2025 anyway. So we shall see.

Reactions: jebinc
Tesla never misses the opportunity to make money. What I see it that they discussed the price a few weeks back, and came up first with a legal requirement the owners can't resale the car in the first year. But then, they realized they can make money without that requirement and simply set the price high for now. When the market saturates with $80k CTs, believe me Tesla will drop the price to $70k, $60k or so , or include the extended battery with the original price. They designed this thing to be as cheap for production as possible. I think their margins for CT will be much higher now than for M3 or MY. My delivery is NET 2025 anyway. So we shall see.
I'm not sure the CT is designed "cheap". The materials are more expensive and require more complex/specialized equipment that cost a lot more. I think the whole SS thing and the design was the grave Elon referred to. After a few years, there will be efficiencies, but Elon has been telling people it's expensive to make for 2 years now.

Juuuust like the MS refresh.

Thanks for talking me out of placing a CT order.

Reactions: jebinc
I'm not sure the CT is designed "cheap". The materials are more expensive and require more complex/specialized equipment that cost a lot more. I think the whole SS thing and the design was the grave Elon referred to. After a few years, there will be efficiencies, but Elon has been telling people it's expensive to make for 2 years now.
I think SS without paint will be no more expensive than Al or sheetmetal with paint. CT is optimized for assembly. Less wiring, large panels, castings. I guess the pieces that really expensive are the battery and the suspension. In two year, the price will be probably comparable with MY if it were given a double-sized battery.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev and jebinc