Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I’m glad I don’t live next door. I guess my electrical engineering training makes me more cautious.

I’ve put on 3 of my own solar systems (camper, cabin, home) all 90% DIY, just paid an electrician to tie it in to the box on my primary home. The largest is the one on my home: 7.5 kw, hybrid inverter, battery bank, transfer switch, secondary panel.
So you know how this stuff works. Idk. I'm sure it's common for people like electricians to have seen people do stupid things over the years that they assume everyone is going to do stupid things. But in fact that really isn't the case. Considering the number of people, homes, and electrical devices today, fires and other accidents are quite rare.
Electric HVAC? You could definitely run a gas furnace. I got rid of my generator, but the transfer switch was to code when the house was built in 2007. Alls it was, was a simple lockout device at the panel that made it so you couldn’t turn the 60 amp generating breaker on if the main was in the on position. Probably no more than a $40 part. The generator back fed into a 14-50 outlet. My power went out for a week back in 2021. I just back fed my 1000 Watt inverter into the house to power my gas fireplace blower and electronic thermostat, to stay warm. With 208 volt 40 amp from the CT I could easily heat the whole house and power my two refrigerators and freezer with plenty to spare.
I don't have gas service at my place. Our home is all electric. We went geothermal a few years back and absolutely love it. For cooking, we went induction and I will NEVER go back to gas. Gas sucks compared to the control (instant and precise) and comfort (never have a hot handle) you get from induction. It also doesn't heat up the house and foul the air like gas. We have a hybrid water heater and a heat pump on the pool. We still have a resistance electric dryer but in the summer we hang most of our clothes outside. If/when the dryer dies we will get a heat pump one as well.

Thank you for the reality check on transfer switches. They are simple devices to prevent someone from doing something stupid (back feeding the grid) but have nothing to do with the wiring of the house. I am more than capable of remembering to disconnect from the grid before powering up.
It's looking like they dug their own grave with both the CT and 4680.
The CT is fine. All of the problems stem from the 4680 development not happening as fast as Elon thought it would. IMO they should have shifted the CT to use 18650s and kept using 4680s in the MY until the 4680s were ready but they chose not to do that. They delayed the CT until the 4680 was "good enough" and shipped it.

Compared to what they stated battery day. big bragger. Failed again.
You mean the plan they unveiled in late 2020 where the estimated 3 years to realize all the benefits based on starting to realize them in 12 to 18 months?

It's looking like they dug their own grave with both the CT and 4680.
What grave? They are producing 3GWh/year off one cell line and are in the process of installing 7 more at Austin. Even without improvements, that's 24GWh/year which is greater than the production capacity of the entire Nevada factory was in 2018. (35GWh in 2022)

Cybertruck has a wait list some number of millions long.

You mean the plan they unveiled in late 2020 where the estimated 3 years to realize all the benefits based on starting to realize them in 12 to 18 months?

What grave? They are producing 3GWh/year off one cell line and are in the process of installing 7 more at Austin. Even without improvements, that's 24GWh/year which is greater than the production capacity of the entire Nevada factory was in 2018. (35GWh in 2022)

Your mistake is thinking all those cells are destine for the CT, as we know the Y also uses the same cell and on top of that the cell production is for all Tesla's globally. So in reality maybe 1-2 of the current lines make cells for the CT.

Reactions: TessP100D
Your mistake is thinking all those cells are destine for the CT, as we know the Y also uses the same cell and on top of that the cell production is for all Tesla's globally. So in reality maybe 1-2 of the current lines make cells for the CT.
They aren't the same cell, just the same form factor.

The 20 million cell number was from line 1 which is now being changed over to Cybertruck cells, like line 2. In the near term four lines are at least 12GWh or roughly 100k Cybertrucks.

Lines 4-8 could theoretically be Cybertruck or Y, but either way, that's a bunch of additional vehicles 100k trucks or 150k Ys, even without improvements (which were 40% Q2 to Q3).
Sure thing, Martin.
4680 cell production in Texas increased 40% quarter over quarter. Congrats to the Texas team for producing their 20 millionth cell off of line one. Texas is now our primary 4680 facility.

We're heavily focused on quality. Scrap is down 40% quarter over quarter. With the increased volume and yield improvements, cell costs consistently improved month over month within the quarter, although we have a lot more work to do to achieve our steady-state goals. And that is our priority.

The Cybertruck cell with 10% higher energy than our Model Y cell started production on Line 2 in Texas.

This quarter, we convert to building 100% Cybertruck cells to simplify and focus the factory as we ramp all four lines in Phase 1 over the next three quarters.

Phase 2 of the Texas 4680 facility is currently under construction. The additional four lines incorporate further capital efficiencies over Phase 1, and our target is for them to start producing in late 2024.

Lastly, in Kato, we're retooling to enable large-scale pilot runs of our next-generation cell designs. Kato's long-term goal is to be the launch pad for new cells, one generation ahead of our mass production facilities, enabling faster iteration and smoother ramp-ups of new designs.

Reactions: cusetownusa

The Y isn't currently using 4680 cells. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are implying, but currently only the CT is using the 4680 cells.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev

Please @mongo :

Please say the line isn't millions long.

I want mine NOW. I have cash......please....please.

The Y is using the 4680, very well documented on this site and in teardowns. Actually the Y was the first Tesla to use the 4680.

This video tear down was done over a year ago....

Yes, a year ago thtough September or so. @cusetownusa was talking about *currently*.

The Y isn't currently using 4680 cells. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are implying, but currently only the CT is using the 4680 cells.
Then:
SmartSelect_20231222_140304_Firefox.jpg

Now:

SmartSelect_20231222_140118_Firefox.jpg

Reactions: cusetownusa