Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LED light pipes availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taillights are LED. What are you talking about? The only conventional bulbs anywhere on the car, not counting the headlights, are used to illuminate the license plate. All taillights are LED behind a diffuser.
Good to know- I guess the diffuser just makes it look like conventional light. I already switched out my license plate lamps to LED, so I guess I'm all set. :) Thanks for the info.

So the difference seems to be the diffuser that's being used.

I rather like the smoother look myself, but it's not a factor anywhere near important for my choice, and I'm sure they'll get better over time. Also keep in mind that the Tesla lamps were done for 2012, and that Tesla doesn't do model-year steps like Audi and the traditional manufacturers do.

Yep. This seems to be the key issue. In a perfect world they would do an update before purchasing. Next best is if they never update appearance till a new model is out so that the look doesn't age as quickly relative to other Teslas.

While this isn't something that would keep me from purchasing a Model S, the shape and choice of technology for the DRLs does bother me. The lights on the upcoming Model X look far better in my opinion (at least in the photos/renders I have seen). If I could swap in the lights from the X to the S, I would be set! :)

Another post asked if the DRLs could be modified with an updated light strip - I'd like to know if this is possible as well. I also wonder if it's possible to disable just the strip running along the top of the lights. The "eyebrow" look on the lights is what bugs me the most ... I didn't like it on BMW and I don't like on the Model S. So if I could keep the lights along the side on but just disable the strip along the top arc, that would be ideal for me. It would also be a cool way for my Model S to look unique!

AmpedRealtor : Yes they are LEDs, but they are not as slick as the other ones I've mentioned. Specifically Tesla's are neither individual (e.g. 2008 Audi R8) nor smooth pipes (2014 Audi Q5), they are somewhere in-between, like a 2011 Lexus IS250.

I spent the last hour putting together an image gallery of 20 headlight and taillight screenshots to show what I'm talking about.

See gallery here : LED car lights - Imgur

Smooth light pipes on the front are on tons of 2014 models. They are freaking everywhere on the Westside of LA. Also, many taillights now have two design components. 1) An always on at night component that are smooth red lines in various shapes. 2) Diffuse LEDs that illuminate inside these lines when breaking. This gives a cool 3D effect to the taillights. Tesla only has #2, though they do look quite good given that limitation.

So why no light pipes for Telsa yet? Do other mfgs not want to license the technology to them? I'm sure Tesla realizes it, as they overexpose the running lights in promo pics to make them look much smoother than they do on the street. Does Tesla not really care? Do they not want to split the design look with a mid-model update prior to a new model release?

Model S came out in 2012, and presumably the lighting design was finalised a bit before that. So when you say "like a 2011 lexus" that sounds about right for the age of the car. The Model S diffused LED is similar to Audi A8s from that time etc.

Something that involves significant design changes will come with some kind of facelift which I would imagine will happen eventually but is not a priority when Tesla has the Model X to be working on etc. Yes light pipes as you say are cool, and I agree look better, but Model S is not a brand new car like all these cars you are comparing it with are.

The major trend in taillights and running lights is clear LED light pipes for smooth lines of illumination. I think Audi pioneered them and they are now found on many new vehicles from Mercedes to Kia. The latest versions of them look really great. But it seems they are not available on Teslas.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to change the current format of the Model S running lights and taillights?

The taillights look OK. But the the front LED running lights are non-uniform, you clearly see where each LED is positioned under the diffuser. In my opinion this style of liner look really dated, like a 2010 Audi. I'm afraid that if the design already feels this way now, its going to age poorly as all decent cars move to the smooth light pipe style in the next year or two.

I'm currently debating between ordering a Macan and a Model S, and as seemingly minor this design quibble is, it bugs me.

I would rather have a modern propulsion system. I can't imagine reverting to an older ICE technology to get the latest LED technology. I can't imagine how much fun I am missing by going to the gasoline station.

Funny though, there are some Model S on the road that are actually "candlelit"; they have halogen lamp headlights from the 20th century! This was when Xenon lamps were not standard and were part of the tech package that some early buyers didn't get (they have no DRLs either).

Wasn't it Honda that ran a big ad campaign a few months ago that you could now get a Honda minivan with a built-in vacuum cleaner? Oh Honda, will your amazing innovations ever end?

Have you ever seen the inside of a Minivan packed full of Kids? You need a industrial size shop vac to clean up some of their messes. The reason the Model S does not need this earth changing feature is that; at least in my case, kids and food will not pass the sacred entrance. If kids and food is detected within the proximity of the car the door handles will not present themselves! That is a feature worth having, more so that LED pipes (had to keep it on subject).

I've yet to have a single person say anything about the LED lighting or DRLs. Everyone focuses on the door handles and how futuristic they are. Every single person who has seen my car, without exception, focuses on the door handles and the 17" screen. The rest could be made out of buggy parts.

Even when I got my Model S in late 2012, I too wished that the DRLs looked more smooth and solid. I really like they way they look on some Mercedes I've been seeing around lately. Even in full daylight, you have these super bright, crisp, stark white lines. It looks futuristic.