Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left model 3 with full charge at friend's place for a month. Came back to 0 miles.

te0x

Jan 30, 2018
Los Angeles
What the subject says.

I parked my car in a parking structure in LA for about a month with almost a full charge and left town for a month.

Came back to find myself in a bad situation. No superchargers nearby and no charge.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I expected a little bit of drain but it seems insane that I would lose more than 200 miles without the car moving.

CO2CLEAN

Olivier Willemsen
Apr 3, 2015
Netherlands
What the subject says.

I parked my car in a parking structure in LA for about a month with almost a full charge and left town for a month.

Came back to find myself in a bad situation. No superchargers nearby and no charge.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I expected a little bit of drain but it seems insane that I would lose more than 200 miles without the car moving.

Was the car used in any way? Opening the car for example? Did you use the app frequently to check up on your car? Those are all causes for the systems in the car to stay active and consume more energy. However, it does seem that your car has a bug where one or more systems stay powered on and draining the battery over time. How is your car behaving now? Do you also lose many miles per day/hour at this moment?

diamond.g

Nov 5, 2015
Moyock, NC
Also would be good to know what version of software your car is on, as older software versions used more battery. They added a deeper sleep in 2018.10 that folks have said really helped diminish the vampire drain.

drawfour

Mar 10, 2018
Seattle, WA
Don't Teslas come with free roadside assistance? Surely out of charge would count? Do the Rangers have the capability of charging? Or would they tow to a super charger?

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Don't Teslas come with free roadside assistance? Surely out of charge would count? Do the Rangers have the capability of charging? Or would they tow to a super charger?
I believe they will cover one “didn’t charge the main battery” tow on roadside assistance.

jsmay311

Apr 22, 2016
Chicago suburbs
What the subject says.

@te0x

Assuming you bring this up with Tesla Service, please let us know what they say. This story is very alarming if true, so it'd be good to know the root cause.

privater

2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner
Jun 22, 2016
CA
Given the earliest firmware update with sleep mode confirmed (2018.10.5) is around 3/25, and take OP's 1 month idle for reference (Mar 3 - Apr 3), The chance that his car won't suffer vampire drain is slim. From reports of my posts, most people suffers average 6-10 mi loss per day. before 2018.10.5. So for a 30 days idle, that means at around 180-300 mi vampire drain lose.

The Bad part of OP's story is Model 3's vampire drain is real and insufferable. (I never saw any article or website ever talked about it)
The Good part is it might become a history issue after sleep model introduced from firmware 2018.10.5

StigsCanadaCuz

Apr 12, 2018
Toronto
If the parking garage isn't heated, it's likely that colder overnight weather, conditioning the battery, was to blame. I understand you're in California, but what are type of overnight temperatures are there in January?

jsmay311

Apr 22, 2016
Chicago suburbs
If the parking garage isn't heated, it's likely that colder overnight weather, conditioning the battery, was to blame. I understand you're in California, but what are type of overnight temperatures are there in January?

You're suggesting that an unplugged Model 3 will actively heat its battery while it's off??? o_O

AllDigital

Feb 27, 2013
SoCal
I had one of the very first Model S cars. In the early days (first six months) it had big vampire draw issues — about the same as the Model 3, but then it was fixed in OTA firmware early. Now I can leave my S at the airport for a week and only lose a mile (or less) of charge. I suspect this will get worked out in the M3 software soon.

ShockOnT

⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️
Jun 26, 2016
Sydney
Last time I went on holidays I left the car plugged in at home, but set the target charge to 50%.
Car was at 90% and lost about 2% per day.
Me checking it 5 times a day and honking the horn across 10 time zones probably didn't help :)

slipnslider

Apr 13, 2016
los angeles, ca
Perhaps the car sits there and uploads a bunch of data it has collected to help with autopilot fleet learning, which drains the battery. If so, tesla should really make this something that can be turned off.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC