TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Left model 3 with full charge at friend's place for a month. Came back to 0 miles.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by te0x, Apr 3, 2018.

1. te0x

te0x New Member

What the subject says.

I parked my car in a parking structure in LA for about a month with almost a full charge and left town for a month.

Came back to find myself in a bad situation. No superchargers nearby and no charge.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I expected a little bit of drain but it seems insane that I would lose more than 200 miles without the car moving.

2. CO2CLEAN

CO2CLEAN Olivier Willemsen

Was the car used in any way? Opening the car for example? Did you use the app frequently to check up on your car? Those are all causes for the systems in the car to stay active and consume more energy. However, it does seem that your car has a bug where one or more systems stay powered on and draining the battery over time. How is your car behaving now? Do you also lose many miles per day/hour at this moment?

3. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Also would be good to know what version of software your car is on, as older software versions used more battery. They added a deeper sleep in 2018.10 that folks have said really helped diminish the vampire drain.

• Like x 2
  4. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Active Member

Your friend owns a parking struture? Nice! Vampire drain seemed much higher than the manual stated up until the recent software update. Do you have AAA? I think they offer mobile charging. They might need to jumper the 12V too.

• Funny x 2
  5. davewill

davewill Active Member

I take it you never watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

• Funny x 7
    • Love x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  6. Need

Need Active Member

I read the same thing about AAA's EV cars mobile charging trucks. I think Los Angeles is one of the metro area that AAA offers this.

7. drawfour

drawfour Member

Don't Teslas come with free roadside assistance? Surely out of charge would count? Do the Rangers have the capability of charging? Or would they tow to a super charger?

8. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

Depending on location, they bring a full battery pack and swap. (takes less than 5 minutes)

• Funny x 3
  9. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I believe they will cover one “didn’t charge the main battery” tow on roadside assistance.

10. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Please don't take this badly, but it seems such a waste to leave a Model 3 idle for a month.
    I'm sure you had perfectly good reasons, but it still feels kind of tragic with all those people still in the queue.

• Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 2
  11. Devanish

Devanish Member

Did you have the Energy saving mode turned on? page 52 in the manual.

12. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

This thread is about the Model 3, in the Model 3 forum. There is no energy saving mode yet.

13. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Didn't 2018.10.5 turn on energy saving mode (allows the car to go to sleep) without a means of turning it off?

14. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

@te0x

Assuming you bring this up with Tesla Service, please let us know what they say. This story is very alarming if true, so it'd be good to know the root cause.

15. privater

privater 2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner

Given the earliest firmware update with sleep mode confirmed (2018.10.5) is around 3/25, and take OP's 1 month idle for reference (Mar 3 - Apr 3), The chance that his car won't suffer vampire drain is slim. From reports of my posts, most people suffers average 6-10 mi loss per day. before 2018.10.5. So for a 30 days idle, that means at around 180-300 mi vampire drain lose.

The Bad part of OP's story is Model 3's vampire drain is real and insufferable. (I never saw any article or website ever talked about it)
    The Good part is it might become a history issue after sleep model introduced from firmware 2018.10.5

16. StigsCanadaCuz

StigsCanadaCuz New Member

If the parking garage isn't heated, it's likely that colder overnight weather, conditioning the battery, was to blame. I understand you're in California, but what are type of overnight temperatures are there in January?

17. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

You're suggesting that an unplugged Model 3 will actively heat its battery while it's off??? o_O

18. AllDigital

AllDigital Member

I had one of the very first Model S cars. In the early days (first six months) it had big vampire draw issues — about the same as the Model 3, but then it was fixed in OTA firmware early. Now I can leave my S at the airport for a week and only lose a mile (or less) of charge. I suspect this will get worked out in the M3 software soon.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Last time I went on holidays I left the car plugged in at home, but set the target charge to 50%.
    Car was at 90% and lost about 2% per day.
    Me checking it 5 times a day and honking the horn across 10 time zones probably didn't help :)

• Funny x 3
  20. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

Perhaps the car sits there and uploads a bunch of data it has collected to help with autopilot fleet learning, which drains the battery. If so, tesla should really make this something that can be turned off.