Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left my M3 unlocked...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlocked my M3 yesterday to pop something in the boot as it wasn't picking up my phone key, neighbour came out as I was doing it and ended up having some socially distanced beers sat in the street for 3 hours (as you do in lockdown).

Did a Teslamate update this evening and it kept spamming me "car_id=1 [warn] Unlocked ..." in the SSH. After a bit I was like "ooohhh... sheet", and yeah, sure enough, it's been unlocked for over 24 hours o_O. Parked on the street as well. Anyone savvy would see the wing mirrors out and know it's unlocked/sentry off etc, though not sure what they could do once inside other than damage it.

I know it's totally my fault but given Teslamate's log was issuing a warning every 30 seconds I'm really surprised the Tesla app didn't notify me, or auto-lock after a 15/30 minutes or something. Am I missing a setting? Should I get a notification? Or do I just have to be more 'on it' what with the all the various ways of unlocking and locking?

FYI it only lost 1% battery (SR+) if anyone's interested/if I can claim it was purely an experiment...

You need to use TeslaFi or similar for this sort of notification. I have it set to let me know if the car is unlocked or the window is down for 15 mins or more. TeslaFi uses Pushover and it works well for me.

Reactions: KennethS
As I said I use Teslamate so not going to pay for TeslaFi just for that/something that seems like it should be native.
If you use Teslamate, you own your own data so you could maybe make something yourself.
I'm just thinking out loud here but something like a Logic App that checks the data and sents you a mail or something when needed. Shouldn't be to hard to figure something out I think

I would suggest you set "pin to drive" on (if you haven't already). That way someone may be able to get into your car but they will not be going anywhere in it.

Yep it's on, hence they couldn't do anything but cause damage.

Will take a look at that Pushover app, looks interesting regardless, and seems like linking something up to Teslamate will be another weekend coding project.

Reactions: TheManofMead