Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legacy S owners, how many are upgrading to new LR or Plaid?

Are you upgrading to the new Refresh S or holding out for something better?

• I’m upgrading!

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I’m keeping my car until it dies or costs too much to fix.

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • I’m waiting for a structural pack or 500+ miles

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I haven’t decided yet.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • My car is too new (Raven)

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im upgrading our facelift S75 since the new S has everything we want (-) 500+mi range. Plaid is out of the budget, but this design won’t be considered legacy for a long time so at least I won’t feel the need to upgrade.

How about the other legacy folks on this forum?

Horizontal screen? Check.
New battery chemistry? Check.
Air suspension + superbeam? Check.
Octovalve /supermanifold? Check.
New castings and better frame design? Check.
New headlights and taillights? Check.

Reactions: Alex Philips
Im upgrading our facelift S75 since the new S has everything we want (-) 500+mi range. Plaid is out of the budget, but this design won’t be considered legacy for a long time so at least I won’t feel the need to upgrade.

How about the other legacy folks on this forum?

Horizontal screen? Check.
New battery chemistry? Check.
Air suspension + superbeam? Check.
Octovalve /supermanifold? Check.
New castings and better frame design? Check.
New headlights and taillights? Check.
There is NO Model S in production with a 500 + mile range.

I already upgraded from 2017 90D to 2022 LR. Loved the 2017 but the improvements with the refresh are fairly substantial to me, and so worth it.
Interior materials, cooled seats, heated seats in rear, screen in rear, dynamic air suspension, larger rear quarter panels for an even more aggressive look, the faster charging, the additional range, the faster acceleration, the lack of drop off in acceleration at illegal speeds, the large screen, the faster response of the screen,

Im missing about 10 things but this refresh is really good.

Reactions: Alex Philips
Sure, lots and lots of new and fun toys with the 2022 MS LR or Plaid.

But since you asked, I'm sticking with my beloved 2014 P85D AP1 -- now upgraded with a 100kWh battery, so it's essentially a P100DL.

I'll upgrade to Plaid whenever the time comes that I can't drive this beast any longer.
who did the battery upgrade and how much? thats awesome

We already upgraded to a 2021 Plaid and a 2022 LR since we were able to lock in prices before most of the price increases. Of course we were disappointed the 500+ mile Plaid S was eliminated.

Actually, is it still an "upgrade" if we kept the 2017 Model S 100D with free Supercharging? 🤔

• Love
Reactions: SilverGS
Ready to order a new LR now. The headlights and tails pretty much check all the boxes we were looking for to upgrade. The Raven was very tempting but we just knew there was a more significant change coming. The one thing I thought my wife might not care for was the yoke. She's seen the videos and didn't comment too much. But when she had the chance get her hands on one it was "Ooooh I like this!!!" "I'll have no problem getting used to driving with this".

Good thing for me that this car will be add to our garage though as we are keeping our 2016 Legacy nosecone 90D. That cars incredible durability is selling a lot of Tesla's in our circle of influence. It's also given some the push or courage order MachE's, Lighting's and even Rivian. It's a Keeper...

My wife says she will occasionally let me the drive the new LR.... 🥳

Ready to order a new LR now. The headlights and tails pretty much check all the boxes we were looking for to upgrade. The Raven was very tempting but we just knew there was a more significant change coming. The one thing I thought my wife might not care for was the yoke. She's seen the videos and didn't comment too much. But when she had the chance get her hands on one it was "Ooooh I like this!!!" "I'll have no problem getting used to driving with this".

Good thing for me that this car will be add to our garage though as we are keeping our 2016 Legacy nosecone 90D. That cars incredible durability is selling a lot of Tesla's in our circle of influence. It's also given some the push or courage order MachE's, Lighting's and even Rivian. It's a Keeper...

Hope you got your order in before last night...

Sold my 2020 LR Raven and picked up a 2022 LR refresh a couple of weeks ago. Multiple enhancements plus the software focus on the new cars with newer hardware coupled with currently strong used prices made the switch a no brainer.
Same here. Sold my Raven for about what I paid after ~18 months of use and ordered a 2022 LR before the series of price increases. Wasn't really FOMO, I loved the car. It was just too good $$ wise to pass up. Looking at the price now, I got real lucky with the timing.

Reactions: gbailey

My wife said the EXACT same thing. To the point where she has asked me to consider swapping out the round wheel in her Y for a Yoke.

2018 100D with sunroof and lifetime supercharging.

LR/Plaid interior refresh is striking but for $95K I’d rather ball out with a Taycan if I’m looking to upgrade and have something special on the road.
Except..to get the equivalent (or close) range/acceleration with Taycan to LR? The cost would be tens of thousands more.
And you'd still have to deal with subpar charging networks when traveling

Last edited:
Except..to get the equivalent (or close) range/acceleration with Taycan to LR? The cost would be tens of thousands more.
Yup I would do it in a heartbeat. More model S’a than Camry’s in my neighborhood.

Reactions: 2101Guy