Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legit video of M3 crash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again a white truck...At least this time it didn’t go under a trailer and the driver is alive...IF that report is true, I don’t get why the autopilot is still struggling to detect such a massive obstacle on the lane well in advance...Inexcusable even though I love Tesla. Yes it’s beta version and the driver shall pay attention but still, the progress is far too slow and EAB would appear to be useless. I know it’s not made to completely stop the car but what’s the point???SpaceX can dock a capsule to the space station in autopilot and Tesla cannot get a reliable system to stop a car from hitting a truck on a highway...

Still don’t understand the solid object issue of system can discern a cone on its side (and avoid it) these days. What’s the point of radar and cameras if they’re not going to collaborate to recognize an immovable object in the path? Forget FSD, safety features for incapacitated drivers help everyone sharing the road.

This is one of those situations where a camera monitoring the driver can help. If AP was indeed on here, they have some work to do. That was way too big of an object to be ignored. Ultimately, the driver should take most of the blame for not paying attention.

Is it me, or does the front of the MOdel 3 look wrecked before the hit?

You may have a point there. It looks like something is up on the front left side, maybe even a incorrectly mounted plate. If so, this may be why the car failed to brake in time. Damaged or misaligned front sensors may have caused the collision. Having a bright white truck roof on the road in bright light may have also fooled the front cameras especially if front radar sensors are not picking up on an object.

Tesla black box will help figure this one out.

Reactions: 2101Guy
We have learned that Tesla is very bad at picking up stationary objects. White trucks, fire trucks with light flashing, etc.. it doesn’t recognize them because they aren’t moving.

Will Tesla be able to fix this? They better if FSD will happen.. but I’m sure its very challenging to implement.

You may have a point there. It looks like something is up on the front left side, maybe even a incorrectly mounted plate. If so, this may be why the car failed to brake in time. Damaged or misaligned front sensors may have caused the collision. Having a bright white truck roof on the road in bright light may have also fooled the front cameras especially if front radar sensors are not picking up on an object.

Tesla black box will help figure this one out.
finally..someone who really looked closely at the front of that car. I couldnt have been the only one viewing that on a large PC monitor. lol

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 3.27.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 3.28.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 3.28.38 PM.png

It sure does look like the front of the car is already impact damaged. At first it looks like a shadow, but as it gets closer, you see a giant dent on the right (right of the photo) side bumper and a bulge in the hood and left bumper.

Tesla autopilot has a "known issue" that it will hit stationary objects in the path of the car.

The damage does not sound like it has anything to do with the collision other than the fact that this driver is probably careless. Tesla cars are expensive in China and this is probably some "privileged" government official.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 3.28.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 3.28.00 PM.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 27
If he braked, when passing the standing truck driver, why does he seem to release the brake? Can anyone discern any nose dive in the car, cause I can't tell.

And, if the driver says he braked, it looks like he had time to swerve to the right and around the truck.

Anyway, hugely lucky that the truck was carrying a load of cardboard boxes and the inattentive Tesla driver had just about as soft a crash as one could have with a truck.

1. Front end damage looks apparent.
2. Confusion video; front ends dip noticeably (even on race cars) if you break the front tire traction.
3. No skid marks?
4. Smoke looks like it's from the car(not dust the car drove over).
5. ???

If he braked, when passing the standing truck driver, why does he seem to release the brake? Can anyone discern any nose dive in the car, cause I can't tell.

The article that I read said indicated that the driver had said that autopilot was off, though the words he used weren't clear exactly. It looks like he braked to avoid hitting that man who was standing in the road, and then released the brake to hit the truck. In other words, he was not on autopilot.

Autopilot isn't relevant in this type of crash. AEB is, and AEB is always on (unless explicitly disabled). Every manufacturer's AEB system has issues with stationary objects, and AEB systems specifically warn that it will not fully stop the car but instead attempt to slow the car to reduce the impact.

From the reports, he had TACC on but not AP (for steering etc). He claims that he was aware but thought the car would slow itself. He then reacted when it became clear that wasn't gonna happen.

Reactions: user212_nr