Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I'm sorry, Max Battery Power. Yes, it raises the Temp of the pack, as well as additional charging.

I know this thread is drifting off-topic again, but I feel the need to address the above statement.

Max Battery Power has nothing to do with charging. It can be enabled at any time, not only when the car is plugged in and charging. From everything we know, all it does is heat the pack so that the maximum amount of power may be discharged quickly. There is no indication any where that it provides the ability to charge the pack to a higher SOC.

Max Battery Power has nothing to do with charging. It can be enabled at any time, not only when the car is plugged in and charging. From everything we know, all it does is heat the pack so that the maximum amount of power may be discharged quickly. There is no indication any where that it provides the ability to charge the pack to a higher SOC.

No, but if the pack is cold soaked enabling max power for 20 minutes will enable the pack to accept higher charge rates.

edit: Ah, gotcha. Read the post out of context, sorry.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm sorry, Max Battery Power. Yes, it raises the Temp of the pack, as well as additional charging.

So when I activate it driving down the road, where does the additional charge come from? I'm pretty sure you can only activate it when driving, it doesn't even function when charging. The only function described in the user's manual is "heats the battery to its ideal operating temperature."

Just brainstorming here, but if people are working on a Model S CAN BUS reader, are the following events transmitted on the CAN?

Brake Light On/Off
Left & Right Turn signals On/Off
Reverse Light On/Off
Charging Active/Stopped

If so, it might be interesting to marry a simple CAN BUS reader to the Rear Lighted Applique module so the module only needs to tap +12v power and the CAN BUS, and wouldn't require the 4-5 hour install process it needs now. The Applique module already is an Arduino, so maybe that could be used to filter the CAN messages for the few needed to trigger the applique.

Thoughts?

I've been playing with it a bit and I believe they are on CAN-2 rather than the body bus. I've stolen this from someone, but my notes point to ID 209 for the right turn, 20A for the left, 203 for the flashers and 504 for the brakes. I'm pretty sure the reverse lights are also on CAN2 and I know the regular lights are. I think active charging is mostly message 222 on CAN-3. I've not decoded it, but perhaps wk05 has. There are a bunch of CAN-3 messages you could tap -- I'm pretty sure the Chargers, the port and the battery chatter quite a lot about it.

i do think you could extract everything from the CAN bus, maybe the charge port light talks on CAN2 -- it would be nice to get everything off the one bus, for obvious reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

If by ideal they mean 48 C, sure.

Hey, I didn't write​ it, I just cut and pasted.

There is a pdf version 0.1 by wk057 that lists some CANx MsgIDs and
their data field meanings. Is there a later compilation of the many
more interesting values found on the CAN buses?

If not, you may PM your compilations to me and I will maintain
a document for the 6 CAN buses that we know about:

CAN on OBD pins 1 & 9 (is this CAN 1 ?)
CAN 2, 3, 4, 6 on the Diagnostic Connector
CAN on the Pilot line (is this CAN 5 ?)

Are there any other CAN buses of interest?
Perhaps we should include the Chademo CAN bus, as CAN 9 ?

Or, perhaps someone else is willing to do this?
Thanks, Gary

Some progress on Android Auto integration. Right now it's in a state where I can see it running on Tesla: AndroidAuto - YouTube

I'm confused. It looks great, but are you thinking this would run on the Tesla touch screen?

I am very tempted to build a setup in my Lotus, replacing the head unit and mounted phone (which connects via A2DP) with such with an Android based tablet, so I can see how it would work there, but I'm struggling to see how this would work with the Model S, or what benefits it gives over stock.

(apologies if I'm being dense).

Just brainstorming here, but if people are working on a Model S CAN BUS reader, are the following events transmitted on the CAN?

Brake Light On/Off
Left & Right Turn signals On/Off
Reverse Light On/Off
Charging Active/Stopped

If so, it might be interesting to marry a simple CAN BUS reader to the Rear Lighted Applique module so the module only needs to tap +12v power and the CAN BUS, and wouldn't require the 4-5 hour install process it needs now. The Applique module already is an Arduino, so maybe that could be used to filter the CAN messages for the few needed to trigger the applique.

Thoughts?

If we could do this it would make installation of the lighted rear appliqué a breeze as it would eliminate most of the physical wire connections. How can we make this happen? It's beyond my capabilities.

• Helpful
Reactions: madcal
If we could do this it would make installation of the lighted rear appliqué a breeze as it would eliminate most of the physical wire connections. How can we make this happen? It's beyond my capabilities.

The way to make it happen:

Have someone do a capture of the chassis canbus (seems to be bus 6 which is pins 4 and 11 on the diag connector I believe). First capture a bunch of traffic without doing anything. Then do a capture with triggering the brakes on/off. Then do on with turn signals on/off. Then do one with reverse lights on/off. The charging active/stopped might require access to the powertrain bus (can3) that most of the discussion here has centered on. I don't know that anything charge related would be on CAN6. It sounds like people already have some clue of which messages encode the various lighting options.

I don't know much about your Applique modification but it's said that it is arduino based. Are you using an 8 bit processor? Have you even bought a shield for an 8 bit Arduino? They do exist and would probably be sufficient for what needs to happen here. But, if you need access to two buses that could complicate things. It seems like CAN6 runs to the body control module but not to the actual lights so I don't know how close to your module the CAN6 wires will be running.

I'm sure there is a chassis can bus somewhere closer to the install point. Figuring out the messages should be pretty simple. However, keep in mind that Tesla has changed CAN message formats with their software updates. There is nothing to stop them from doing something that would require the applique to also be updated at some point.

I'm sure there is a chassis can bus somewhere closer to the install point. Figuring out the messages should be pretty simple. However, keep in mind that Tesla has changed CAN message formats with their software updates. There is nothing to stop them from doing something that would require the applique to also be updated at some point.

I don't disagree it isn't outside their capabilities to change the messages.

If it is outside their CBA factor though, Elon can instruct his engineers all he wants to change messages in his desire to own the cars forever, but ultimately it's futile ;)

BTW Before we all pat ourselves on the back, with VW/Toyota's resources if they aren't already miles ahead of where we are on this thread I'd be amazed.

@HankLloydRight @artsci

I'm shocked that no one has looked into the CAN2 body bus, it was the second thing I played around with after I got started with all this, the lower speed coupled with low message/sec count make it pretty easy to figure out. Almost everything on the wish list is present on that bus. I think Danal was doing the electronics for the appliqué but if you want to put me in touch with whoever does the programming I will gladly help them integrate the CAN side of things, I also may have a lead on which trunk wires to tap into to get access to the CAN2 bus. Plus we only need to look at maybe 3 ID's on one bus so with hardware ID filtering an 8-bit micro should work fine.

Link to my CAN2 decodes Tesla Model S CAN IDs - CAN2 - Body.csv

@HankLloydRight @artsci

I'm shocked that no one has looked into the CAN2 body bus, it was the second thing I played around with after I got started with all this, the lower speed coupled with low message/sec count make it pretty easy to figure out. Almost everything on the wish list is present on that bus. I think Danal was doing the electronics for the appliqué but if you want to put me in touch with whoever does the programming I will gladly help them integrate the CAN side of things, I also may have a lead on which trunk wires to tap into to get access to the CAN2 bus. Plus we only need to look at maybe 3 ID's on one bus so with hardware ID filtering an 8-bit micro should work fine.

Link to my CAN2 decodes Tesla Model S CAN IDs - CAN2 - Body.csv

Awesome. Danal did the Arduino hardware and the onboard firmware for the Applique controller. He'd be the best one to figure out what's needed to take a CAN bus inputs to filter and use as triggers. If he can't help out, I'm sure what he did was pretty straightforward -- although the programming for the Applique itself is pretty complex with the timing and colors. As a last resort, we could have a second Arduino to read the CAN bus and then trigger the +12v inputs to the Applique controller.

Awesome. Danal did the Arduino hardware and the onboard firmware for the Applique controller. He'd be the best one to figure out what's needed to take a CAN bus inputs to filter and use as triggers. If he can't help out, I'm sure what he did was pretty straightforward -- although the programming for the Applique itself is pretty complex with the timing and colors. As a last resort, we could have a second Arduino to read the CAN bus and then trigger the +12v inputs to the Applique controller.

Would this latter idea also open up potential to use CAN bus message(s) for charging status...?