Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@supratachophobia
Yabecha, too scared to look.
I have audio working now, wifi and 3G works, plus BT.
I need to create the USB to Fakra cable, I have the original cable from Tesla that has the Fakra end that plugs into the MCU, i need to know how or what colors correspond to the RJ-45

Think I have it if someone can verify:

ETH-B Cable RJ45 Pin
org/wht Brown 1
grn/wht Green 3
org Blue 2
grn Orange 6

Attachments

• IMG_20191123_205710.jpg
    IMG_20191123_205710.jpg
    710 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
@supratachophobia
Yabecha, too scared to look.
I have audio working now, wifi and 3G works, plus BT.
I need to create the USB to Fakra cable, I have the original cable from Tesla that has the Fakra end that plugs into the MCU, i need to know how or what colors correspond to the RJ-45

Think I have it if someone can verify:

ETH-B Cable RJ45 Pin
org/wht Brown 1
grn/wht Green 3
org Blue 2
grn Orange 6

yes, that’s correct.

Reactions: StarLog
Is there a better way to power up the MCU on the bench? Or something to do so the MCU will always power up correctly?
If you have rooted your MCU, there's a method of telling it to wake up the LCD backlight. If not, then you might be able to do so by emulating the action of the IC coming on when the brake pedal is pushed by supplying the right signals/packets via the connectors, but I've never tried that.

I have a 2013 MS my screen is starting to be non responsive and show weird visual glitches sometimes. Is it worth it to back up my eMMC now in case someone figures out how to transfer that data to the MCU2? It feels like replacing it with another MCU1 is a waste

...Is it worth it to back up my eMMC now in case someone figures out how to transfer that data to the MCU2?...
I have heard that the certificates expire at some point. Anyone know how that mechanism works? I imagine if your car was off for six months or a year that the car would refresh them. If you installed the certificates in a Bench MCU2 and it called home could you put it on the shelf for a year and have it refresh itself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone.

I tried to boot my MCU on the Bech today. I gave +12v to pin 7 and 8 on the Grey x426 connector and GND to pin 9 and 10 on the Black x425 connector.

Nothing happens, any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20200212_092000.jpg
    IMG_20200212_092000.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_20200212_092006.jpg
    IMG_20200212_092006.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 257
Hi everyone.

I tried to boot my MCU on the Bech today. I gave +12v to pin 7 and 8 on the Grey x426 connector and GND to pin 9 and 10 on the Black x425 connector.

Nothing happens, any ideas?

Do you see any lights on your MCU PCB? I think the main issue is that your power supply can't supply enough current (limited to 3A per output channel it seems, or only ~36W at 12V... You may be able to double that if you parallel the outputs, but even that would be just barely enough (especially if you have an IC hooked up too). Mine draws ~73W.

Do you see any lights on your MCU PCB? I think the main issue is that your power supply can't supply enough current (limited to 3A per output channel it seems, or only ~36W at 12V... You may be able to double that if you parallel the outputs, but even that would be just barely enough (especially if you have an IC hooked up too). Mine draws ~73W.

I tried to peek though the MCU Cage but couldnt see any leds light up. Next step is to open it up and double check for led lights.

The power supply is in parallell config in the picture, and is able to deliver right over 6A 12v.

I do not have a IC hooked up, its only the MCU.

Would full emmc failure cause these syntopms, or am i Just delivering power in the wrong way?

I tried to peek though the MCU Cage but couldnt see any leds light up. Next step is to open it up and double check for led lights.

The power supply is in parallell config in the picture, and is able to deliver right over 6A 12v.

I do not have a IC hooked up, its only the MCU.

Would full emmc failure cause these syntopms, or am i Just delivering power in the wrong way?

Do you have ethernet hooked up to the diag port? Do you get a link? The screen typically won't illuminate with just power; need to tell it to come on over ethernet for a bench (unless you add a brake pedal ;-))

Do you have ethernet hooked up to the diag port? Do you get a link? The screen typically won't illuminate with just power; need to tell it to come on over ethernet for a bench (unless you add a brake pedal ;-))

No i havent connected via diag port, im assuming you mean the special connector type between IC and MCU, or the diag port on drivers side?

Is there a handy guide to this ive overlooked?