Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla will sometimes defer your software updates if they detect you are rooted, but they don't blacklist you for it. Most people with root block mothership and stage updates themselves though, so it's not very consequential.
Prior to 2019.4 tesla has no way to know if you are rooted or not. After 2019.4 updates tesla always knows there is some "corruption" in your flash memory and system files but it still doesnt know if it is rooted or not.
Even if you take the car to service and they plug into it to look at everything they still do NOT know if it is rooted since they do not have access to the file system directly.
The only ones at tesla that can find out if you are rooted is the engineers that sometime get brought in when a car has a problem service can not figure out. They access logs directly and can browse the file system and check cronjobs etc. they would know.

When you get blacklisted there is several levels of this. Black list means no software updates, no app access, and no repairs to the car. You still get streaming, live traffic, and all other functions of the car. this is the absolute worst tesla can blacklist. If you are rooted you can get even the experimental updates offline through people here in the forum. cough.. cough..

The second level of blacklist is geo location blacklist. This is automatically done by mothership based on geo location. if a us car is long term in europe, sometimes automatically the mothership will stop updates. This happens only when you fiddle with the LTE module. otherwise they leave you alone.

Off grid blacklist. This is the easiest of them all. This happens when you get a bad update and your clock resets and then VPN connection to tesla is not able to reset. Car gets locked in a weird status. Tesla is able to "Hammer" the software and get it to reset properly and then your updates start coming in again, but it requires calling them and prooving to them that you dont have a salvage car, or that you dont fit under any category for blacklist.

I hope this helps some people.

As of now, there is no way to root an MCU2 and have the root stay. it dissapears after soft reset. MCU1 prior to 2019.4 is rootable, but if you update passed 2019.4 root is gone again. and no way to regain it.

There is many smart people amongst us here, and they put a ton of work into figuring things out. Support them by "donating" something to them, as agreed, when they help you out in private messages and remote assistance.

Actually, what you answered is whether they do it on wifi vs LTE. What I want to know is if it makes a difference if you're driving vs not.
I have no proof, but I would imagine that the map loads somewhat slower if they are downloading an update when you are driving. Other than that, it shouldn't make any difference.

I have had software downloads happen when I have been driving. I did not know until I parked, and a message popped up that the software update was ready to install.

Root will not help you. Well, it will but not really exactly how you want it. There is a ton of features Geo Locked on the car that you will never be able to turn on without breaking any navigation or autopilot features. (I know this cause i have spent 2 weeks now trying to do exactly that for summon). The rest of the stuff you can get by making config changes through people in this forum. Cough.. cough.. pm someone and you get help.

Long story short, you do not need root, but you will never get all the features you want. I want spotify in USA in all my 4 teslas but i will never get it even though i have rooted all my cars and i can practically do whatever i want to them.
Pm me, I think I know how you could activate Spotify in US.

On the MCU does anyone know which plug and pin number wakes it up? Does it take a signal on more then one pin to wake? Just want to test one before we buy a used one.
You don’t need wake signal for mcu to show anything. Just 12V and GND is sufficient to have it boot and show something on the lcd. Pins are in the first photo from this post: Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

Reactions: GeorgeCM
So maybe I have one of the three video cables not pushed in enough. as the color is off.
The Gorila glue was there to hold the fan in place. LOL

MVIMG_20191121_192621.jpg