Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letter to Mr. Musk from a 1-day old outdated Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Go back to my prior comment. Tesla is not in the same situation as the much larger ICE makers. They can't afford a multi-month blip. THEY WILL GO BROKE.
Tesla could have sold their current models for the next 12 months and been just fine. That's why they no longer need any more capital and have paid off the majority of their loans. Tesla is doing just fine according to their latest financial reports. They didn't need AP2 to "make money". They have been doing just fine.

All I'm asking is to have some sympathy for those who feel duped. Why is that so controversial?

Great point. No offense taken.

Whats being described as not going to work - is exactly what ICE companies go through. Surges in volume and the like because of yearly upgrades. And it has been working for them.

With all respect Garlan, you don't understand this particular industry. People have explained why Tesla can't do that several times, several different ways. And you've got some people here who do understand the industry well.

Sure... people can complain. That's 100% fine. But it's not possible to satisfy all complaints. This issue has arisen repeatedly and if Tesla had a practical way to deal with it I can assure you that they would. They don't like to upset customers any more than customers like to be upset. They're walking a fine tightrope.

Tesla could have sold their current models for the next 12 months and been just fine. That's why they no longer need any more capital and have paid off the majority of their loans. Tesla is doing just fine according to their latest financial reports. They didn't need AP2 to "make money". They have been doing just fine

Thunk thunk... hitting head on wall. Where to start? Nevermind.

Reactions: liuping
Your insults aren't working. I'm not feeling insulted.

Not an insult.

Clearly people are buying Teslas with little awareness of what is coming up and then agonising about it if an unexpected upgrade comes through.

I don't know how to advertise these things more clearly above the constant background speculation.

Plus people really do need to be able / capable of living with the decision to purchase and, more importantly, the timing of that purchase.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
With all respect Garlan, you don't understand this particular industry. People have explained why Tesla can't do that several times, several different ways. And you've got some people here who do understand the industry well.

Sure... people can complain. That's 100% fine. But it's not possible to satisfy all complaints. This issue has arisen repeatedly and if Tesla had a practical way to deal with it I can assure you that they would. They don't like to upset customers any more than customers like to be upset. They're walking a fine tightrope.
What I do and don't understand about the industry isn't important and has very little to do with the topic at hand.

My only simple point - Say what you want. Even if nothing happens. Lets encourage and not discourage those who are saying what they want.

If you feel that some have been duped then you must feel that everybody who owns a Tesla has been duped since nobody has AP2 at this time. It's really just a question of where you subjectively put the line. Everybody got what they paid for.
What I feel isn't important.

My simple point is this. Everyone can say what they want. Lets not discourage those who do. Even if you think its futile. Lets try and support/encourage people.

am i missing something here about resale value? people are talking like the new AP2 hardware seriously devalues their car.

i'm looking out my office window and 99% of the cars out there are not autonomous. many of those drivers do not want to pay extra for autonomous features and others won't even trust it to begin with.

there are and still will be many buyers who will want your car with AP1. At the very least, there may be willing to pay for some baseline autonomous features that help them in stop and go traffic. IMO, your car becomes seriously devalued when a) cost of autonomous drops that it's more common and b) when many cars out there have autonomous features. this is when the supply for autonomous is significant to kill your value.

who knows when that will be, but it won't be for a while. it takes time for these things to get adopted, even more so when you are changing the pretty fundamental behavior of driving and at a high price point to fund development.

relax, people!!

What I feel isn't important.

My simple point is this. Everyone can say what they want. Lets not discourage those who do. Even if you think its futile. Lets try and support/encourage people.

Better to talk the OP into just enjoying his car. If he still feels this way in 2 years he can probably sell his car and by a 2 year -1 day old AP2 car with very little loss as both cars will depreciate quite a bit. And he'd have an extra 6 weeks of driving and at least 2 months of AP.

What I do and don't understand about the industry isn't important and has very little to do with the topic at hand.

My only simple point - Say what you want. Even if nothing happens. Lets encourage and not discourage those who are saying what they want.

Actually, you've had two points.

One... Have sympathy. Yes... a bunch of us have expressed it. We get it. No debate. Group hug.
Two... You've suggested that Tesla should be doing things differently, and geeze, they're kindof inconsiderate for not doing so. We've tried to explain why it's not so simple. They're proceeding as they presently must.

Great point. No offense taken.

Whats being described as not going to work - is exactly what ICE companies go through. Surges in volume and the like because of yearly upgrades. And it has been working for them.

The difference is that the larger manufacturers have dealers who expect to have thousands and thousands of cars (cumulatively) in inventory and therefore they can build those cars to order ahead of time or even as "spec" cars. ( The dealers can be "in the know" about upcoming changes and handle marketing those soon to be obsolete cars appropriately before the new versions come in). Tesla does not work through that same way so it's not an apples to apples comparison. It wasn't that long ago that every Tesla was built to order and they have only started doing inventory cars to make sure the production line kept running at all times and also to accommodate customers who might not be as picky about specific options but were impatient.

Nobody should be more mad than me. I just missed AP1.0 when I bought my model s in 2014.

In june I asked to get a late October delivery for my X, (because my guess was Mid oct AP2.0) They said okay, then on the 24th they tell me my delivery is on its way Sept 29th. (They did say no guarantee on exact ship date), but 1 month in advance was a bit much. I say, I am going to be furious if AP2.0 comes out mid Oct considering the same thing happened in 2014, they state I have to take it or lose my $2500 deposit, so I take it.

I agree, I have only myself to blame, but imo there is an integrity factor that comes into play when I specifically say the above and get caught in their Q3 get everything out push.

They knew when it was coming out (no way the referral bonus ending that date is a coincidence) and hid it from me. That is my only issue and I've been a die hard tesla supporter from day 1.

I understand why they do it from a business perspective, that doesn't make it right considering the above imo. Oh well....I'm still rooting for them.

Nobody should be more mad than me. I just missed AP1.0 when I bought my model s in 2014.

In june I asked to get a late October delivery for my X, (because my guess was Mid oct AP2.0) They said okay, then on the 24th they tell me my delivery is on its way Sept 29th. (They did say no guarantee on exact ship date), but 1 month in advance was a bit much. I say, I am going to be furious if AP2.0 comes out mid Oct considering the same thing happened in 2014, they state I have to take it or lose my $2500 deposit, so I take it.

I agree, I have only myself to blame, but imo there is an integrity factor that comes into play when I specifically say the above and get caught in their Q3 get everything out push.

They knew when it was coming out (no way the referral bonus ending that date is a coincidence) and hid it from me. That is my only issue and I've been a die hard tesla supporter from day 1.

I understand why they do it from a business perspective, that doesn't make it right considering the above imo. Oh well....I'm still rooting for them.
Thanks for your story and honesty.

I suggest that EVERYONE has the right and should speak up for whatever they want. Either Large or Small. Financial or not.

Dear Elon: I want a pony. With a clown riding on it. Standing on the top of a Model X. With a 900 mile range. On a beach. In Hawaii. For free.

See how effective that was? Absolutely nothing happened. Elon did not appear and grant my wish.

Yes, I do feel bad for the original poster. But expecting that Tesla is going to give him a $10,000 discount, or magically remanufacture his car with all new hardware... that's just not realistic. If it were that easy to do such things, then everybody could have an upgrade path. But it isn't. Accordingly, he can ask all he wants, but he might be better served by asking something plausible of Tesla, such as:

- To stop with the top secret Apple-like upgrade path, and simply go with model years like everyone else.
- To make hardware changes well in advance of when they announce them, so recent purchasers don't feel so disenfranchised

Anyway, It's not about not having heart for someone, it's about being realistic. One can feel badly for someone while still urging them to think rationally about their actions.