Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Bulb replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of us that also have a Rav 4EV, this LED replacement works great for the plate lights. and are cheap too!! Only .2 watts vs 5 watts for each of the original incandescents

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-1-led-wedge-base/197/

Thanks Lloyd, I just installed a pair of those in my S85 and it is a big improvement. Easy to do but would be really easy with a properly sized Phillips ("star" to Canadians ;-) screwdriver with a foot long shaft.

Very curious that Tesla used incandescent bulbs over the license plate. LED is the way to go.

Thanks Lloyd, I just installed a pair of those in my S85 and it is a big improvement. Easy to do but would be really easy with a properly sized Phillips ("star" to Canadians ;-) screwdriver with a foot long shaft.

Very curious that Tesla used incandescent bulbs over the license plate. LED is the way to go.

Rumor has it that the license plate lamp assemblies are from some other OEM parts bin (?MBZ) and thus the included lamp rather than LED.

VLED's in 6K are perfect 38mm True White with no blue hue or amber. No heat omni directional worth the extra couple of bucks.

LED's Plate.jpg

The V-LED product is expensive compared to the Amazon stuff, but I went with the V-LEDs and I've not had any issues at all. My only concern is that they may be a tad too bright. I don't know if that would be cause to pull me over, I hope not. When I turn on the rear camera while driving at night, I can see the V-LEDs illuminating the road behind my car.