Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P85D, range mode off, energy saving off, always connected, Ludi on

Attachments

• 2017-05-11 18.38.36.jpg
    2017-05-11 18.38.36.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 135
I thought that setting Range Mode Off would increase average energy used and decrease range?
This depends. In winter (17 C or less) for short trips (50 km or less), that's correct. Most other times it's either not correct or the difference is so slight it doesn't really matter. When preconditioning it's important to have range mode set to OFF.

Reactions: E Dizzle
Thank Jerry. Can you expand on why this setting should be Off for max range and min energy in Summer?
1. I haven't ever found much difference between on and off in summer.

2. Range mode on allows the battery to get to the high end of the heat range before active cooling takes place. IMHO, battery life is more important than questionable range increase.

Note that if you had laboratory grade measuring devices you could likely see there was slightly more range, but with the measuring devices that come with the car, other factors such as wind, terrain, and driving style overpower range mode by so much as to make it practically invisible. Now I should add here that my car has a single motor. I understand there is supposed to be additional benefits to range mode with the dual motor setup, but I don't have any experience to say whether or not that is enough to make it worthwhile. I believe that some part, perhaps most, of the dual motor savings happens whether or not you are in range mode.

I've enjoyed being able to keep an eye on my lifetime average energy use, as I haven't ever reset Trip B. After one month of ownership in California and around 1500 miles my average is 326Wh/mi. How are you faring?

I'd love to see a future firmware update that lets me use my trip meters for trips, but still provides access to my lifetime average. I'd also appreciate an automatic trip meter (one that resets when you exit the vehicle), and a per-driver meter.

Anybody been to the Cabazon California supercharger lately, I hear there are now 16 chargers.......anybody ?!?!?! Saw them upgrading this site two weeks ago........hmmmmm..........just wondering.....

I am pushing Model S getting near 250 Wh/mile in last 8000 miles. It pushes to almost 300 miles(72.6kwh x 4 miles/kwh) in one charge if I drive 65 mph on on highway.

On the other hand, my Model X which I bought last week is getting near 310 Wh/mile. I am thinking the heavier weight of the car and the bigger battery in Model X are causing over 300 Wh/mile, despite how I drive conservatively. Good news is that I get better than EPA rated mileages. :rolleyes:

Reactions: chjch
I am pushing Model S getting near 250 Wh/mile in last 8000 miles. It pushes to almost 300 miles(72.6kwh x 4 miles/kwh) in one charge if I drive 65 mph on on highway.

On the other hand, my Model X which I bought last week is getting near 310 Wh/mile. I am thinking the heavier weight of the car and the bigger battery in Model X are causing over 300 Wh/mile, despite how I drive conservatively. Good news is that I get better than EPA rated mileages. :rolleyes:
It's more likely that the larger frontal area is causing this. Weight really only matters when there are frequent stops and starts. It has little effect on highway driving.

My car is new, so my experience is too slight to count, but through the first 600 miles, it's at 250 Wh/mile. I add this post just to express the opinion that driving a hybrid for a few years prior to moving to a MS, really cements conservative driving habits that make achieving such averages quite easy. Per Teslafi and Tezlab, my efficiencies are almost always over 100% whenever I actually drive, but prolonged sitting makes averages slightly lower due to phantom drain.

Reactions: chjch
34k miles @ 304kw/h 2015 70D

Majority of the mileages are from driving from Inland Empire to Work in Irvine.

How the heck some of ya'll manage to average under 265 kw/h after like 20k worth of driving

With S, I get 235~250 kw/mile.

I usually like opening windows unless the outside temp is like 90 degrees. I noticed that AC eats a lot of energy, especially for X.

Also, I drive by the speed limit. I never go over 70mph on freeway.

And some hypermiling practice like seeing the redlight ahead and partially on pedal with regen. brake. It takes some practice.