Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifted Model Y Owners: Report!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lookin' good! FWIW they had to use a bunch of weights on my Falkens as well, so you're not the only one. My Method 502's/Falkens are silky smooth at all speeds with no vibrations - how does your MYP with those Toyo's ride?

Also, if you haven't already, put some blue Loctite on your center cap screws.
Thanks! Yeah, super surprised how quiet and smooth the Toyos are. I've had Duratracs, KO2s, and Ridge Grapplers on my previous rigs (RGs being the quietest) and I do like how these sound and feel in the first 20 miles. I should be able to put about 500 miles on them in the next week, so we'll see how they do!

Good call on the Loctite. Some had backed off already, probably the ones I had to run a tap through (come on Method!)

I found a twin for a side by side. 👍
D02F8696-D4BB-473A-8D38-36B05F6BCB9A.jpeg

Just tried some mild off roading at a nearby OHV park. I was surprised by how well it did! You really don't need a ton of ground clearance to navigate a bunch of this stuff, but that being said, I was definitely rubbing in a lot of places, and loose traction climbing some mild grades (I was too scared to drop tire pressure due to low ground clearance!)

I was also surprised how tame the off road mode is. I was trying to go up some decent inclines (not limited by ground clearance) and it was really neutering the car - in all the modes. I may look into Ingenext to give me Drift Mode. Anyone have any experience with this?

Some awesome videos in work. Can't wait to install that lift kit and try it again!

1643258210371.png

1643258305674.png

That's awesome! Agreed that Off-Road mode is about as boring as it gets. It doesn't let you have much fun at all!

I guess we should chime in with a few pictures of our Model Y in winter mode - with the lift kit (along with comfort adjustable coilovers) and OZ Rally wheels:

19x8.5 OZ Rally
245/55/19 Goodyear Wintercommand SL

Lifted-Model-Y-in-the-Snow-scaled.jpg

model y party fdadsf.jpg

Model-Y-Winter-Drift.jpg

20201211_162248.jpg

I have to say it's been a very fun platform. We used to own a few Jeep Grand Cherokee's and this reminds me of that - the extra ride height gives you the temptation to be a bit naughty. Driving over curbs and such. Not that we would ever do such a thing, of course.

@MountainPass I love it! Those OZs are sweet, too bad they don't make them in 18"

I should be able to install the lift kit in a couple of weeks - excited to see how it does!

For your coilovers, do you offer different spring rates? I'll be lugging an extra couple hundred pounds on the hitch, but not sure if this warrants stiffer springs.

That's awesome! Agreed that Off-Road mode is about as boring as it gets. It doesn't let you have much fun at all!

I guess we should chime in with a few pictures of our Model Y in winter mode - with the lift kit (along with comfort adjustable coilovers) and OZ Rally wheels:

19x8.5 OZ Rally
245/55/19 Goodyear Wintercommand SL

View attachment 760997
View attachment 760998
View attachment 760995

View attachment 760999

I have to say it's been a very fun platform. We used to own a few Jeep Grand Cherokee's and this reminds me of that - the extra ride height gives you the temptation to be a bit naughty. Driving over curbs and such. Not that we would ever do such a thing, of course.
Is 245/55/19 the largest diameter (29.6") tire you can have without hitting the front knuckle regardless of whether it's lifted or not? Also, does that tire size work with the OE Gemini wheels and their +45 offset vs the OZ Rally's that look to be +38 offset?

I'm thinking about replacing the tires on stock 19" wheels first before getting the lift kit to see how I feel about the additional ~1.6" lift I'd get from the bigger tires

Feel free to DM me and i'll do my best to listen to what's going on with your suspension. Let's see if I can help you remotely or if I think it's an inherent issue that might not be resolved.
Thanks P3D-R for the offer. My apologies for not responding earlier.. It's making a TON of noise at all times right now. Loud creaking/squeaking from both sides in the front, and rattles/clunking when going over even small bumps. I'm in contact with UP and have one last appointment at a local exotic shop recommended by them next Wednesday. If it's not resolved this week, the plan is to move over to MPP coilovers and lift kit. I've told UP that I expect a full refund, but am hearing through the Interwebs that they have refused refunds to others.

The current response from UP is "This is so rare we've NEVER heard of it happening so it must be your installer's fault". Complete B.S. in my opinion but will find out 2/8. I see guys on YT like Gjeebs, etc. who claim to have not issues, but the comments here seem to say otherwise.

I'd rather this be more widely known so they fix their product and/or others don't get screwed too. If it's not fixed, I'm def going to work on widely distributing my experience.

@TheeUnderdog I ended up cancelling my UP order, in part because of the NVH complaints, but also because the lead time was way too long.

Just got the MPP Comfort Coilovers and lift kit installed! Super happy with how everything turned out, though I've only put about 50 miles on it. I'm taking it to Mammoth next weekend so that will be a much better test!

Shoutout to @gr8tdane24 for the great recommendation! Wilson at Parts3xpress was awesome!

Overall (suspension and tires) seems to be about a 2.25" lift. Not quite as much as I was hoping for, but it is noticeable and should make a big difference on the trails!

1644009960079.png

1644010067076.png

Thanks P3D-R for the offer. My apologies for not responding earlier.. It's making a TON of noise at all times right now. Loud creaking/squeaking from both sides in the front, and rattles/clunking when going over even small bumps. I'm in contact with UP and have one last appointment at a local exotic shop recommended by them next Wednesday. If it's not resolved this week, the plan is to move over to MPP coilovers and lift kit. I've told UP that I expect a full refund, but am hearing through the Interwebs that they have refused refunds to others.

The current response from UP is "This is so rare we've NEVER heard of it happening so it must be your installer's fault". Complete B.S. in my opinion but will find out 2/8. I see guys on YT like Gjeebs, etc. who claim to have not issues, but the comments here seem to say otherwise.

I'd rather this be more widely known so they fix their product and/or others don't get screwed too. If it's not fixed, I'm def going to work on widely distributing my experience.
FYI, I have a lift kit I don't need so hmu if you make the shift. We ended up bagging our Y with some custom UAS stuff and now I have the lift kit sitting unopened on my office shelves. In regards to UP, the way that the upper spring perch references the factory upper mount and the way the rear lower spring perch sits on the lower spring arm with a small O ring separating contact between metal, are indicators of potential noise. If these two small aspects of their kit are revised I don't see why it cannot be noise free. Other areas to check are the locking collars for the lower brackets on both the front and rear dampers. In the rear, the single locking collar can come loose so I put a drop of blue loctite to mitigate the chances of that. The independent ride height and spring preload of the UP setup is not "idiot" proof, whereas the KW/MPP setup IS. That's the beauty of most European coilvoers. They are fixed length threaded dampers so height adjustment and spring preload all come from the same perch. In reality, that's how it should be. Damper lengths should be fixed and I can only assume that UP indicates that in their instructions or at least I hope so. They must be telling people how long the dampers should be like Redwood does with their Ohlins kits. With that said, you would set front and rear dampers to the recommended length. Then all height adjustments are done at the spring perch. Add preload to raise the vehicle and reduce preload to lower the vehicle. Considering you're raising your car I cannot imagine why you would have any spring clunking. My only thought is the sway bar link might have some slop at the damper attachment point or the uppermount is not tightened down to the shock shaft. One quick way to isolate the sway bar from the equation is to completely disconnect the sway bar endlinks. If it was my shop, that's what I would do first, aside from double checking all the locking collars. Remove the endlinks, takes 10mins, go for a drive, see if the front and noise disappears. If it doesn't disappear then I'd move to the next option which is the uppermount.

@TheeUnderdog I ended up cancelling my UP order, in part because of the NVH complaints, but also because the lead time was way too long.

Just got the MPP Comfort Coilovers and lift kit installed! Super happy with how everything turned out, though I've only put about 50 miles on it. I'm taking it to Mammoth next weekend so that will be a much better test!

Shoutout to @gr8tdane24 for the great recommendation! Wilson at Parts3xpress was awesome!

Overall (suspension and tires) seems to be about a 2.25" lift. Not quite as much as I was hoping for, but it is noticeable and should make a big difference on the trails!

View attachment 764975

View attachment 764976

That looks great and Wilson is awesome. I'm sending him some track wheels and tires next week for their shop Y. Can't wait to see the results on their livestream event with MPP, #techdays!!!!! Suspension 101.

Reactions: BobbyLeeChan
@MountainPass you mentioned suspension limits the ability to go higher than a 1.75 inch lift. Could we add subframe spacers to solve this?

Also, to install bigger tires without hitting the knuckle could we add wheel spacers?

I’d love to build the tallest Model Y.

@MountainPass you mentioned suspension limits the ability to go higher than a 1.75 inch lift. Could we add subframe spacers to solve this?

Also, to install bigger tires without hitting the knuckle could we add wheel spacers?

I’d love to build the tallest Model Y.
You have to contend with axles and CV's as well. You're talking about a lot of custom work to get it beyond those limits. You also want to make sure the vehicle will remain safe to drive so tread lightly and beware of the rabbit hole you might send yourself down.

@chadconway you'd be competing with these guys for most extreme off road 3/Y!

It was a bit too extreme for me, but I'm interested to see what you end up doing!
The problem is the front upper knuckle limiting tire/wheel size, the five ways to ago about it are:
1. accept defeat and settle for either 255/55R18 or find a 17" that can clear the breaks and go super skinny with smidge more sidewall (dodging it)
2. use spacers to "dodge" it, can get slightly bigger than 255/55R18 (probably), might need to do some trimming though, this will ruin aerodynamics and range
3. get a portal axle bespoke built, off the shelf prices for cars that have them (mostly Mercedes wagons) can easily be north of $10k, can't even imagine what it would be to build a one off, it has some intresting play since it moves the axle from center of wheel to upper 1/3, so you gain more the bigger the wheel / less rubber you have, could probably fit 30" or even 32" tires this way, and if the gear ratio is done correctly it will even be accurate speed wise, not sure about energy loss to four portal axles, not sure if power steering can handle it, not sure about range loss due to added height (and the tires used) but this is the most "elegant" solution (if money is of no concern), also need to find a company willing to make such product, oh and portal axles use straight face gears that have the worse sound profile (which is why the Mercedes 4x4^2 is so loud if you ever stood next to one passing by at ~40mph or faster...)
4. Get someone like MPP to make 3rd party front upper knuckle (and maybe other parts of the suspension in order to accommodate the change)
5. Just get a Cybertruck, fits 35" wheels stock, might be able to fit even bigger, has like 17" ground clearance, off road mode, doesn't loss warranty when going off road, base model cost probably same as bespoke portal axle kit for Model Y haha