Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifted Model Y Owners: Report!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. accept defeat and settle for either 255/55R18 or find a 17" that can clear the breaks and go super skinny with smidge more sidewall (dodging it)

FYI: technically the very largest you can go with a lift without tweaking anything else is 245/60/r18

It isn't a huge difference though:

FYI: technically the very largest you can go with a lift without tweaking anything else is 245/60/r18

It isn't a huge difference though:
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 4.21.53 PM.png

True, and it might even be superior for snow\mud but personally I would forfeit the +0.3" sidewall in favor of superior traction on asphalt, but that's just my preference.
Would love to see the guys at Grind Hard Plumbing go for portal axles though... Model 3 + 35" would be a sight.

Reactions: Skavatar
Well, almost 5 months after my initial inquiry we finally took delivery and three days later lifted our new Y and put 18" wheels on.

We ended up going with Replika 241's and Michelin CrossClimate2s (245/60/18). That gets us just under 9" of clearance which should be good enough for our purposes. We will probably end up with proper winter tires next winter but since the season is waning we figured we could get away with CC2s for the time being.

Big thanks to @kevinkeenan and @EchoDelta for all their wise counsel in getting us here. So far we are super pleased with our "Outback Y" and I think it's going to do the job!

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-27 at 7.00.47 PM.jpeg

Well, almost 5 months after my initial inquiry we finally took delivery and three days later lifted our new Y and put 18" wheels on.

We ended up going with Replika 241's and Michelin CrossClimate2s (245/60/18). That gets us just under 9" of clearance which should be good enough for our purposes. We will probably end up with proper winter tires next winter but since the season is waning we figured we could get away with CC2s for the time being.

Big thanks to @kevinkeenan and @EchoDelta for all their wise counsel in getting us here. So far we are super pleased with our "Outback Y" and I think it's going to do the job!

View attachment 774720
The only CC2 in 245/60/18 I see are load rated as SL? Is that what you have here?

On another note, I too have gone ahead and ordered the Falken WP AT / Method 502 18" combo that seems to be proven by now. After doing some forest roads on the stock set up, including Harts Pass, it was clear that we needed a different solution. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: BobbyLeeChan
Great thread! Thank you all for the information provided, i just ordered Method 502" to Finland through a courier. Going to set up some AT tires that are available when i get them. And ordered a MPP liftkit aswell! Looking to lift up the car a bit to handle our snowy climate better :)

Looking to get our MY LR delivered in may! Our first Tesla, been waiting & dreaming of it since 2016 AND finally it is happening!

Lots and lots of towing ahead with our Eriba Touring caravan! Now i am looking for a suitable solarpanels & powerbanks to be acquired, most likely ending up with Eco Flow Delta MAX one.. If i dont feel like building up the inverter and batteries myself to the trailer. But thats about it!

On another note, I too have gone ahead and ordered the Falken WP AT / Method 502 18" combo that seems to be proven by now. After doing some forest roads on the stock set up, including Harts Pass, it was clear that we needed a different solution. Looking forward to it.
I have been debating replacing the stock wheels and tires since we got the MY a couple of months ago. I took our old Model 3 LR RWD on 19" stock all-seasons up to Cutthroat Peak, Tronsen's Ridge, etc. and it got the job done but I was looking forward to a little more clearance and AWD.

I haven't been to Hart's Pass yet but what exactly convinced you that you needed a new wheel/tire setup?

I have been thinking about just replacing the stock tires with some sized up All-weather tires (CC2s) or A/T tires (Falken Widpeaks). If I replace the OEM 255/45/19 with 245/55/R19, that would give me an extra 0.8" of ride height and extra sidewall without replacing the wheels.

I have been debating replacing the stock wheels and tires since we got the MY a couple of months ago. I took our old Model 3 LR RWD on 19" stock all-seasons up to Cutthroat Peak, Tronsen's Ridge, etc. and it got the job done but I was looking forward to a little more clearance and AWD.

I haven't been to Hart's Pass yet but what exactly convinced you that you needed a new wheel/tire setup?

I have been thinking about just replacing the stock tires with some sized up All-weather tires (CC2s) or A/T tires (Falken Widpeaks). If I replace the OEM 255/45/19 with 245/55/R19, that would give me an extra 0.8" of ride height and extra sidewall without replacing the wheels.
Just saw this. Harts Pass is, IDK, 15 miles each way from Mazama to the top. It's not a hard road, unless your on the Induction wheels. Which I was. Just when I wondered if I was being too cautious, I rounded a corner to find a Highlander on the road with a flat tire. He had lots of sidewall. So some of the rocks can jump out and bite. I'm sure you've done the time on the tire calculator site, but I'd be surprised to find a 55 series A/T tire that fit in the wheel well on a 19" rim, given how much room is left with the 18" rim.

Just saw this. Harts Pass is, IDK, 15 miles each way from Mazama to the top. It's not a hard road, unless your on the Induction wheels. Which I was. Just when I wondered if I was being too cautious, I rounded a corner to find a Highlander on the road with a flat tire. He had lots of sidewall. So some of the rocks can jump out and bite. I'm sure you've done the time on the tire calculator site, but I'd be surprised to find a 55 series A/T tire that fit in the wheel well on a 19" rim, given how much room is left with the 18" rim.
Yea, they fit with a +35 offset but if I keep the gemini wheels and the stock +45 offset, I'll need to go with 255/50/R19 to prevent hitting the wheel well.