Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Liftgate adjustment DIY info on 2023 refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My liftgate was badly misaligned from the factory in every possible direction, and my Service Center refused to fix the issue, along with most other build quality issues with my car. I am going to have to accept that this $100K car just does not come with a bumper to bumper factory warranty.

So I decided to fix the liftgate myself, as I have done with most of the build issues, and I am happy to share what I learned, which is a lot. Since most people on this forum don't seem like the type that would take on such a daunting task, I won't go to the effort to make a big DIY, but I'll share some bullet points and be happy to answer any questions that come up.

Here are key bullet points:

- The factory service manual that you can download from Tesla has not been updated completely for the refresh model, but it's still somewhat useful to review
- The hinge bolts into the liftgate control the height, the hinge bolts into the body control left/right alignment and forward and backward.
- The manual shows removing the back glass to be able to access the bolts for the hinge. The headliner near the back of the car needs to be pulled down to access those nuts.
- I was able to loosen and tighten the bolts without removing the glass by using a torx socket held by a small vice grip to grab the exposed portion of the bolts. Only a 1/2 turn is enough to loosen the bolts to adjust that part of the hinge.
- I was able to remove a minimum of the interior to be able to pull down the headliner enough to get a power ratchet to loosen and tighten those nuts. You need to remove the side seat bolsters, the side panels, and the panel around the seat belt. There are 10mm bolts holding the headliner in along with the normal push pins.
- Most important: You must remove the struts on the left and right to have any hope to adjust the hinges. Those struts put too much force on the liftgate to be able to force the hinges into place. Fine hinge adjustment becomes easy when the struts are removed.
- I used a sturdy wooden stick, cut to size, to hold up the liftgate while doing the work. I put a microfiber towel on top of the stick to protect the decklid I did it all by myself, so it can be done with one person even though it's really a 3 person job.
- Unless you take the glass off and really remove the headliner, the adjustment process is iterative where you move the hinges and check and then adjust again. This job would have been incredibly simple to get right in the factory with the back glass off and before the interior is added. Amazing disregard for quality that they don't bother to make sure the liftgate is correct at that stage.
- Start with getting the height correct before doing the left and right and forward and backward adjustments. The left and right height also slightly affects the forward and backward adjustment.
- In my case, there is no way to get the liftgate to fit 100% correctly m because of the poor build quality of the body and the liftgate itself. Clearly some of their robots need to be fired. But if that is the case with your car, there are compromises that can be made to make it fit well enough where no one will notice.
- While adjusting the forward and backward of the hinge, be very careful that the back glass and the pano glass do not hit each other and you end up with both broken.
- I needed to also adjust the latch striker position to fine tune the fit, which is very easy to do. Take care to check the clearance around the bottom of the liftgate and the bumper. In my case, lining up perfectly with the fenders caused interference with the bumper and body near the taillights.

No doubt it's an intimidating task for a DIY'er, which is clearly why my lazy Service Center squirmed out of standing behind their product. The job is definitely one of those that most will tell you to leave to a professional, but if you are handy and super meticulous and careful, you can do it too. I am sure if I took it to a body shop, they would insist to remove the back glass and more of the interior, and it would become a very large bill with probably more problems created than fixed.

8508700496_6928a3822b_b.jpg

"Tesla Model S" by cdorobek is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
My liftgate was badly misaligned from the factory in every possible direction, and my Service Center refused to fix the issue, along with most other build quality issues with my car. I am going to have to accept that this $100K car just does not come with a bumper to bumper factory warranty.

So I decided to fix the liftgate myself, as I have done with most of the build issues, and I am happy to share what I learned, which is a lot. Since most people on this forum don't seem like the type that would take on such a daunting task, I won't go to the effort to make a big DIY, but I'll share some bullet points and be happy to answer any questions that come up.

Here are key bullet points:

- The factory service manual that you can download from Tesla has not been updated completely for the refresh model, but it's still somewhat useful to review
- The hinge bolts into the liftgate control the height, the hinge bolts into the body control left/right alignment and forward and backward.
- The manual shows removing the back glass to be able to access the bolts for the hinge. The headliner near the back of the car needs to be pulled down to access those nuts.
- I was able to loosen and tighten the bolts without removing the glass by using a torx socket held by a small vice grip to grab the exposed portion of the bolts. Only a 1/2 turn is enough to loosen the bolts to adjust that part of the hinge.
- I was able to remove a minimum of the interior to be able to pull down the headliner enough to get a power ratchet to loosen and tighten those nuts. You need to remove the side seat bolsters, the side panels, and the panel around the seat belt. There are 10mm bolts holding the headliner in along with the normal push pins.
- Most important: You must remove the struts on the left and right to have any hope to adjust the hinges. Those struts put too much force on the liftgate to be able to force the hinges into place. Fine hinge adjustment becomes easy when the struts are removed.
- I used a sturdy wooden stick, cut to size, to hold up the liftgate while doing the work. I put a microfiber towel on top of the stick to protect the decklid I did it all by myself, so it can be done with one person even though it's really a 3 person job.
- Unless you take the glass off and really remove the headliner, the adjustment process is iterative where you move the hinges and check and then adjust again. This job would have been incredibly simple to get right in the factory with the back glass off and before the interior is added. Amazing disregard for quality that they don't bother to make sure the liftgate is correct at that stage.
- Start with getting the height correct before doing the left and right and forward and backward adjustments. The left and right height also slightly affects the forward and backward adjustment.
- In my case, there is no way to get the liftgate to fit 100% correctly m because of the poor build quality of the body and the liftgate itself. Clearly some of their robots need to be fired. But if that is the case with your car, there are compromises that can be made to make it fit well enough where no one will notice.
- While adjusting the forward and backward of the hinge, be very careful that the back glass and the pano glass do not hit each other and you end up with both broken.
- I needed to also adjust the latch striker position to fine tune the fit, which is very easy to do. Take care to check the clearance around the bottom of the liftgate and the bumper. In my case, lining up perfectly with the fenders caused interference with the bumper and body near the taillights.

No doubt it's an intimidating task for a DIY'er, which is clearly why my lazy Service Center squirmed out of standing behind their product. The job is definitely one of those that most will tell you to leave to a professional, but if you are handy and super meticulous and careful, you can do it too. I am sure if I took it to a body shop, they would insist to remove the back glass and more of the interior, and it would become a very large bill with probably more problems created than fixed.

View attachment 916229
"Tesla Model S" by cdorobek is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
Excellent work. I did a similar job on mine, although it wasn't as badly aligned as yours to begin with. I also found I had to find a "happy medium" where the tailgate looked OK to the untrained eye but couldn't be made to fit perfectly all around as either it, or the car body around the rear opening, had just not been jigged up properly during the build making a completely proper fit impossible without invasive panel beating work. I just can't understand how after building these for over 10 years, they still can't get basic panel alignment dialed in better! Line workers should be getting pulled up on this and bollocked about it/retrained when body inspection QC is done. (Although QC clearly isn't getting done, is it?!)

I just can't understand how after building these for over 10 years, they still can't get basic panel alignment dialed in better! Line workers should be getting pulled up on this and bollocked about it/retrained when body inspection QC is done. (Although QC clearly isn't getting done, is it?!)

I imagine they have motivational posters all along the Model S production line that say things like:

“F*** those G**D*** B****** Customers!!!”

• Funny
Reactions: Gpa9504 and Favguy
Probably because people aren't refusing to accept the cars in that condition. Why spend capital to improve the production line when it isn't costing them money not to?

I agree with that.

In the defense of some of these people, like me, I would never have expected that Tesla would refuse to fix these cosmetic issues by claiming the car still works, therefore, there is nothing to fix. They have gotten much worse about that since the previous time I bought a Tesla. Disgusting.

This problem exists with every American car brand. Literally every one. What amazes me is that we expect any better when the American brands have never given this a first thought, let alone a second.

Owned plenty of American brands. Never seen such poor assembly and QC. And definitely never seen a refusal to fix obvious build issues by systematically pretending everything is ok and then hiding from the customer behind an app. That last part is just so disgusting for a $15K car, and these are $100K cars.

Well done! How's your front trunk hood alignment? Mine is touching the passenger side headlight, and it looks like they spent a lot of time trying to fix it at the factory (judging by the chipped paint around the hinges and bump stops)...was looking for anybody who might have adjusted that (not sure if I could do any better than the factory, but now I'm thinking I probably couldn't do worse?).

I was thinking today after seeing an older Tesla with the chrome stripping: they probably moved to using black accents so as to better hide the panel gaps. :D

Well done! How's your front trunk hood alignment? Mine is touching the passenger side headlight, and it looks like they spent a lot of time trying to fix it at the factory (judging by the chipped paint around the hinges and bump stops)...was looking for anybody who might have adjusted that (not sure if I could do any better than the factory, but now I'm thinking I probably couldn't do worse?).

I was thinking today after seeing an older Tesla with the chrome stripping: they probably moved to using black accents so as to better hide the panel gaps. :D

The front was horrible too -- even worse than the liftgate alignment. Everything that could be wrong with the fenders and hood was wrong. Fortunately, it's a lot easier to DIY the front hood and fenders than the decklid, but it's still a chore.

I did a write up DIY with videos a few weeks ago with some tips:

My guess is the black trim was done to try to freshen up an old model, keep up with hip trends, and reduce costs.

• Love
Reactions: Sellout and Murtaya
Excellent work. I did a similar job on mine, although it wasn't as badly aligned as yours to begin with. I also found I had to find a "happy medium" where the tailgate looked OK to the untrained eye but couldn't be made to fit perfectly all around as either it, or the car body around the rear opening, had just not been jigged up properly during the build making a completely proper fit impossible without invasive panel beating work. I just can't understand how after building these for over 10 years, they still can't get basic panel alignment dialed in better! Line workers should be getting pulled up on this and bollocked about it/retrained when body inspection QC is done. (Although QC clearly isn't getting done, is it?!)
Remember when Elon said Tesla quality would be so good that if you measured something on a Tesla and it was out of spec, you’d suspect the measuring instrument first? Good times…

I don't think the hatch on a Model S ever fit 100% perfectly. At least not the two I had bought used in 2017 (a 2014) and 2019 (a 2015). And now the tooling is 10+ years old.

I suppose they're going by "if it doesn't make paint-on-paint contact and doesn't leak much, it's good to go." (Neither my 2014 nor my 2015 made paint-on-paint contact, and neither leaked. But the original owner/lessee may have had them fixed back when Tesla did customer service.)

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Is this a US thing? Got my Model Y RWD delivered and after a week I noticed two doors require more effort and make a loud clack when closing. In the Netherlands (EU).

I booked an appointment and was fixed in 20 minutes. No issues / bill.

Would be the kind of experience I expect when buying a >$42,500 car. Let alone $100k Model S, lol.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ