Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lighted Tesla T for nosecone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an update on where things stand. Oznium's techs in Hong Kong received the T and arch earlier this week and are working on designs for the PCB, experimenting with different size LEDs for the space they have to work with. They've asked us to open up space in the arch and T so they can use the largest LEDs possible, so PCS Engineering is making the walls of the arch and T thinner (.6mm) and making samples for me to overnight to Hong Kong. The Oznium techs, owing to the concave shape of the T also have decided to use a flexible PCB material.

PCS Engineering has the rear T and will have a 3D print of the base for that ready at the same time as the front T and arch with thinner walls. That will also go overnight to Hong Kong for design of the PCB for the rear T. So we're making good progress toward moving both front and rest Ts into production for kits.

So I think I'm 3-4 weeks away from having the PCBs for both front and rear Ts as well as the 3D prints for the kits in my hands.

Another update. I approved the LED layouts today and manufacture of the PCBs will being immediately. 50 sets will be made to start. Once they're in my hands we'll begin making the kits available. I'm now guessing 4 weeks or sooner. Before Christmas is my goal -- a nice Christmas gift you can ask your significant other to give you.

@artsci
I suspect I'm not the only one that has lost track somewhat. Do you have a wiki or are you updating the first post or something with pricing, options, and general description of how these work (like is it car power or CR2032 batteries, etc.)? Thanks.

@artsci
I suspect I'm not the only one that has lost track somewhat. Do you have a wiki or are you updating the first post or something with pricing, options, and general description of how these work (like is it car power or CR2032 batteries, etc.)? Thanks.

Yes, keeping track of all of this is difficult as I've just been adding posts as things evolve. As there's some uncertainty about price and what will actually be included in the kit I can't be definitive about that for a few weeks. I can say that it works off car power and there are several options about how it can be turned on or off (by a remote, headlights, etc). I'm probably going to create soon a web page where all of the information will reside and orders can be placed.

@artsci
And just to be clear: I'm very appreciative of the stream-of-progress (somewhat like stream-of-consciousness) updates. It's very interesting, but just more than I can keep up with. :)

Also, you said you don't have pricing yet but are you close to a ballpark yet? Like perhaps the number of digits in the US$ pricing? Thanks.

@artsci
And just to be clear: I'm very appreciative of the stream-of-progress (somewhat like stream-of-consciousness) updates. It's very interesting, but just more than I can keep up with. :)

Also, you said you don't have pricing yet but are you close to a ballpark yet? Like perhaps the number of digits in the US$ pricing? Thanks.

Probably somewhere in the range of $180 to $190 it appears now for the basic kit.

I am one of the beta testers and I have to applaud Artsci for his planning and execution of the nose cone product. After getting the kit and ordering my support products (got almost all of them through Amazon straight to the house), I was able to casually sit down and work on the items while watching the NFL game on Sunday night. Artsci laid out the steps for assembly in such a logical and concise manner that it was actually fun!!

I will post a few photos soon, but to sum it all up, the construction of the lighted T with the lights using the kit was a breeze.. I would suggest taking your time and doing every step listed as it will make sense at the end of the "T" assembly (especially the sanding part say the glue will bump up around the outer edges and needs the be sanded down smooth).

I am now to the part of wiring to the car, but am awaiting an additional part from Amazon before that step. I hope to have mine complete by early next week. (I have a second nose cone so I plan on taking my time and swapping nose cones when this project is all done. I am looking to make this my "gadget" Nosecone, and add more to it if I can future more out for it.. Artsci? :)

Thanks again Artsci for your work in designing this great mod!!

I am one of the beta testers and I have to applaud Artsci for his planning and execution of the nose cone product. After getting the kit and ordering my support products (got almost all of them through Amazon straight to the house), I was able to casually sit down and work on the items while watching the NFL game on Sunday night. Artsci laid out the steps for assembly in such a logical and concise manner that it was actually fun!!

I will post a few photos soon, but to sum it all up, the construction of the lighted T with the lights using the kit was a breeze.. I would suggest taking your time and doing every step listed as it will make sense at the end of the "T" assembly (especially the sanding part say the glue will bump up around the outer edges and needs the be sanded down smooth).

I am now to the part of wiring to the car, but am awaiting an additional part from Amazon before that step. I hope to have mine complete by early next week. (I have a second nose cone so I plan on taking my time and swapping nose cones when this project is all done. I am looking to make this my "gadget" Nosecone, and add more to it if I can future more out for it.. Artsci? :)

Thanks again Artsci for your work in designing this great mod!!

Thanks Tim. I don't want to take the fun out of this:), but the new version to be ready hopefully before Christmas will involve much less work, as it will come with the LEDs installed and T and arch already sealed and ready for placement on the nosecone.

Hi all!

I am one of the beta testers and it's time for me to report in.

I finally got my T installed this weekend. I'll make some general comments that will and won't apply to "normal" installers.

I've done a lot of ripping cars apart before, and frankly, taking apart the "frunk" compartment of the S is very simple. Everything that snaps off or unscrews almost by hand. The only thing I needed a tool for was to remove the front box of the frunk and most of you won't need to do that unless you want to run wiring into the passenger compartment (more on that later).

I followed @artsci's steps one by one, and the instructions were very well written and clear (thanks Rick). To pop the nosecone off, I youtube'd "tesla nosecone" and did the push down hard with both hands routine. It didn't work first or second time, but eventually it just pops off. Then I unsnapped (two rubber-headed bolts to unscrew) the trim pieces under the hood to be able to run some wiring here and there. Since I was also planning to run a wire into the passenger compartment (I wanted an LED to show the "status" of the lighted T), I also removed all the carpet trim from the frunk and the black box that makes up the front of the frunk. Here's a pic to show what I'm talking about:

frunk.jpg

I drilled a hole where the red arrow is shown. This is the only time I screwed up a bit. The firewall (at that point) is two sheets of metal and I drilled through both but then continued drilling too far and I puncture the top of a black box on the other side of the firewall. I'm not sure what it is, but the car still works so I'm hoping it was hollow where I punctured it and it doesn't need to be pressurized -- oops!

Most of the rest was straight-forward. I ran wire around the frunk shell to the fusebox and another to go into the hole I made in the firewall.

Everything went very well. The instructions didn't mention how to attach the T to the nosecone, so I used the equivalent of what I found as Goop. Adhesive sealant. I think held it in place with electrical tape while I finished the rest of the install (basically wiring).

I will have a status LED that will mimick what the T will be doing. I just forgot to but a decent LED at the electrical supply store, so I gotta make another trip and do that.

I will post pics soon, the weather here has been rather icky. :)

Attachments

• 2013-11-23 16.57.24.jpg
    2013-11-23 16.57.24.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 507
Thought I would chime is as well as a Beta Tester-did the install last week-whole thing took about 2 hours excluding drying time. Rick's instructions are comprehensive and superb. The sizing and fit if the kit is a+. A few tips based on my install...use the youtube video to pop off the nose cone, easy and less risk of damaging the clips. Take your time with using dental floss to remove the "T". I used clear silicone adhesive everywhere as it is readily available (had a tube at home) and easy to remove if needed. The install is strong. Sandpaper the edges until you have a very matte finish which will reduce bright spots (Rick, will the final kit have a matte finish or require sanding?) Used solicone adhesive to attach the resistor and secure the wires on the backside but did also place electrical tape for insurance. I wired it directly to the headlight so it is only when they are on. Did not want all the strobe and pulsing functions. See earlier post #273 for details. This wiring makes it super easy as you don't have to take out the frunk or drill thru the firewall but you do lose some functionality. Great mod and I smile everytime I exit the car and see the lighted T till the walkway light function turns it off...Thanks Rick!! Happy holidays to all.......