Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lighted Tesla T for nosecone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good thing I have a spare nose cone. I'm having some issues with the install relating to alignment of the LEDs leads through the nosecone holes and the glue for attaching the Plexiglass T and arch. On the basis of what I'm learning from my mistakes I'll make improvements in the instructions and recommend different adhesives. I think I'll get the lighted T working on the nosecone tonight but I may not get it installed on the car.

The T is now installed on my spare nose cone and ready to light up but no until I do some final testing of the circuit for faults.

I've posted additional pictures photos in the instructions below (post #109).

Threading the LED leads through the PCB was a nightmare but I got it done after about an hour. Basically you have to guide 20 long pins/leads through small holes. At one point I was sufficiently frustrated to consider hand wiring the whole thing. There's got to be a better way but I can't think of one.

I'll post a video of the lighted T on the nosecone in about an hour.

Shouldn't each LED have its own current limiting resistor instead of wiring them in parallel with one resistor in series?

From my (way past) days as EE I remember that LEDs at least used to have sufficiently variable threshold voltages such that a circuit like yours would typically result in markedly variable light output between the LEDs. (Explanation: The LED with the lowest threshold voltage draws much higher current than the others due to the non-linear characteristics of current over voltage at the threshold.) Worst case scenario is that this LED gets driven past its rated power and burns up. Then the same repeats with the LED with the next lowest threshold ...

I don't pretend to know how the LEDs you chose will behave or that there hasn't been improvement in the technology or variability to make it work as you designed, but I wanted to raise the question after I saw your circuit board, before you finalize the design.

No. With this circuit each LED lights with the same brightness.

Here's the video. The quality is poor as I shot it in my workshop, which is a mess right now. It looks 1000 percent better in person. The reflection off the chrome V under the T is something I didn't anticipate, and it creates a very different effect. As I'm traveling all week, including a Tesla factory tour on Thursday, I won't be able to mount this on my car until next Sunday. When I do I'll take many more photos and videos.

Shouldn't each LED have its own current limiting resistor instead of wiring them in parallel with one resistor in series?

From my (way past) days as EE I remember that LEDs at least used to have sufficiently variable threshold voltages such that a circuit like yours would typically result in markedly variable light output between the LEDs. (Explanation: The LED with the lowest threshold voltage draws much higher current than the others due to the non-linear characteristics of current over voltage at the threshold.) Worst case scenario is that this LED gets driven past its rated power and burns up. Then the same repeats with the LED with the next lowest threshold ...

I don't pretend to know how the LEDs you chose will behave or that there hasn't been improvement in the technology or variability to make it work as you designed, but I wanted to raise the question after I saw your circuit board, before you finalize the design.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an experiment I placed black tape over that part of the trim, but as the only black tape I had around was electric tape it only partially diminished the reflection. I'll experiment with other things before I put this on my car in a week.

Can't wait to see it on your car!

Would also be interested in seeing what it looks like in daylight - how does the T look now that it is raised a bit with the plexiglass underneath?

Aaron

Is there some kind if clear material to cover part of the chrome that will cut the reflection but in daylight won't change the look of the chrome from far away?

I don't think there's anything that will make much of a difference on the chrome but I'm going to experiment with black gaffer tape and black camofluage paint. If the inside of the V under the T is black in might still look fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
As one of the beta testers, I'm started to think that my wrapped nosecone and nosecone trim might actually come in handy given the newly-found reflections:

DSC_0088-001.JPG

I was thinking the same thing.The reflection might not be a problem on my car since my entire nosecone is wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl.

I think you're right.

- - - Updated - - -

Just my personal opinion but that reflection turns your great idea into something that looks like an odd anchor. Any way to shield the bulbs from the trim rather than trying to cover up the trim?

Not without almost totally blocking the light and defeating the whole idea. The way that V trim is designed will reflect any light source above it.