Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightweight wheel owners - your feedback on unsprung reduction vs stock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To answer the OPs question,

I love the driving feel that my 16.7 lbs 18x8.5" +43 Weds Sport TC105N wheels provide.

As others have stated, there is a very noticable difference in turn-in (quicker), steering weight (lighter), and acceleration (faster).

There is a more noticeable change in acceleration with varying levels of accelerator input. The lighter wheels are worth 0.1 second from 0-60 MPH that I have repeatedly tested with Dragy when compared to the OEM 20" wheels.

And despite what some are arguing on here, there is a definite gain in efficiency and range. I have seen this back to back change when switching between the light 18s and OEM 20s.

I love it how Tesla has now updated the website to have P3D- at 322 mile range and the optional P3D+ larger wheels at 299.
A 23mi difference! Slightly better than the original 280mi testing done with the 310 base rating.

At least they are now doing the right thing as no P3D+ owner got anywhere close to 240wh/mi with ankle weight wheels.
If its all aero a simple saran wrap cover test would prove 20s give same wh/mi as 18s. I agree its both (weight and aero), but weight is at least 5% of the range reduction if not more.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I love it how Tesla has now updated the website to have P3D- at 322 mile range and the optional P3D+ larger wheels at 299.
A 23mi difference! Slightly better than the original 280mi testing done with the 310 base rating.

At least they are now doing the right thing as no P3D+ owner got anywhere close to 240wh/mi with ankle weight wheels.
If its all aero a simple saran wrap cover test would prove 20s give same wh/mi as 18s. I agree its both (weight and aero), but weight is at least 5% of the range reduction if not more.

Don't forget that the P3D- comes with lower performance tires that likely have substantially lower rolling resistance than the sticky Michelin PS4S on the heavy and less aero 20" Performance wheels. Let's face it, every aspect of the P3D+ rolling stock presents less rolling efficiency than the comparable 18" set up. The 20" set up just provides better handling and braking at the cost of range.

I have a set of the 20" forged T-Sportline wheels with winter tires. I measured a 10 lbs per wheel weight reduction. However, my range is even worse with this combo than with the standard 20" wheel set up. I am hoping it is mostly due to (a) colder weather; (b) lots of driving in heavy rain; and (c) higher rolling resistance from the snow tires. I won't know for sure until I put the Michelin tires back on the new wheels in the spring. I just hope the less aero wheels are not a big problem.

My installer said clearance was tight but mine are 18X8 ET35 square setup on my stock Michelin MXM4 tires and I've had no issues. Here's a pic from the box as well for you with the product code and mfr code of what I received. The 18x8's fit the stock tires really well because the sidewall of the tire extends past the face of the wheel.

IMG_20200127_192749-smaller.jpg

My installer said clearance was tight but mine are 18X8 ET35 square setup on my stock Michelin MXM4 tires and I've had no issues. Here's a pic from the box as well for you with the product code and mfr code of what I received. The 18x8's fit the stock tires really well because the sidewall of the tire extends past the face of the wheel.

View attachment 510849
Thank you for the super fast reply! Cheers, friend!

I think it would be awesome to have a chart of the lightest forged wheels. So far I have:

WedSport TC105N 18x8.5 at 16.7lb
Titan7 TS-5 18x8.5 at 17.8

What else is out there thats possibly even lighter?
What is cost on those WS? (No I still haven’t pulled the trigger on the MW03’s as I want these side by side the base 18 aero’s that will come on the SR)

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
WedSport TC105N 18x8.5 at 16.7 lbs @ $505 per wheel - need hub centric rings and not mono-block forged, one year warranty, can not use hub ring when using center cap, need to check load ratings, GVWR of Model 3 Dual Motor is ~4999 lbs.

Titan7 TS-5
18x8.5 at 17.8 lbs @ $510 per wheel, fully mono-block forged for Tesla, lifetime structural warranty, load rated especially for the high torque the Tesla Model 3 generates (725 kg), 5 different fitments custom for Tesla including an option that addresses aerodynamic efficiency made for the Model 3 called the T-LD1 (Tesla- Long Distance 1)

TSW Nurburgring 18x8 at 19 lbs @ $363 per wheel, need hub centric rings, not mono-block forged, two year warranty, load rating is 1350 lbs, Model 3 Dual Motor GVWR ~4999 lbs

www.martianwheels.com 18x7.5 at 17.3 lbs @ $499 per wheel, fully mono block forged for Tesla, lifetime structural warranty, load rated especially for the high torque the Tesla Model 3 generates, 3 different fitments custom for Tesla

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 7.15.50 PM.png

Last edited:
TSW Nurburgring 18x8 at 19 lbs @ $363 per wheel, need hub centric rings, not mono-block forged, one year warranty, load rating is 1350 lbs, Model 3 Dual Motor GVWR ~4999 lbs
View attachment 516918

I have these wheels and they came with the centering rings, so not sure why that's even a concern. And monoblock is over-rated over rotary forged as a daily driver. And what's wrong with the load rating? You know what GVWR stands for right? 1350 times four is 5400 pounds. Curb weight is 4,072 pounds so even with a few passengers and cargo, I'm not coming anywhere close to the GVWR for $4999 or max rating of these wheels. Also TSW has a two year warranty on finish and five year on structural integrity so I'm not sure where you're getting all this information.

• Informative
Updating, the post, Structural integrity is only for flawed manufacturing with the TSW Wheel. I am sure they are great wheels, but that's only 100 lbs per corner buffer on the GVWR of the Model 3. I'm sure they are great for a daily driver.

With regular care and regular road conditions, TSW offers a two year finish warranty on its wheels with chrome and painted finishes. TSW provides a five year structural warranty for wheels it manufactures that are structurally unsound because of a manufacturing defect caused by TSW that makes the wheel unfit for its ordinary purpose. Damage or issues with wheels manufactured by TSW that are not caused by, or the result of, a manufacturing defect by TSW are not covered under the warranty. Additionally, the following are expressly excluded from the warranty:
  • TSW does not offer a "road hazard warranty," so any damage or issue with a wheel caused by the wheel colliding with a pothole or any other object or debris will not be covered by the warranty;
  • TSW Wheels that have been used in racing are not covered by the warranty regardless of the damage or structural unsoundness; and
  • TSW Wheels mounted on vehicles with a load rating in excess of the load rating of the wheel are not covered by the warranty regardless of the damage or structural unsoundness.
  • TSW Wheels that have been modified, repainted, or powder coated.
Weds accepts no responsibility and offers no warranty in the event of accidents or deformed or cracked wheels caused by any of the following circumstances: driving the car in places where motor vehicles don't usually go; driving the car on a racing circuit; using the car to race in a rally or for similar purposes that will exceed the limits on its use; by modifying the car illegally; and by failing to perform everyday maintenance checks that would have identified the defect responsible for the issue.

Here is the the Titan 7 Warranty: no limitations on racing, only caveat is to repair or replace.
-TITAN 7 Forged wheels carry a Limited Lifetime Structural warranty and a 1 year warranty for factory applied surface finishes and supplied wheel accessories (Aluminum valve stem and center cap).

- TITAN 7 Warranties are non transferrable.

TITAN 7 offers the limited warranty claims to product repair or replacement at the discretion of TITAN 7. We do not offer any reimbursements for any costs associated or related to labor, shipping, losses. Claims must be provided with proof of purchase. Please contact your authorized TITAN 7 reseller or email us at [email protected].

Martian Wheels Lifetime Structural Warranty- no caveats on racing, only caveat is to repair or replace
All Martian Wheels Forged Wheels will be free of manufacturing and workmanship defects at the time of purchase. Martian Wheels Forged Wheels carry a Limited Lifetime Structural warranty. Martian Wheels warranties are non transferrable. Martian Wheels offers the limited warranty claims to product repair or replacement at the discretion of Martian Wheels. We do not offer reimbursements for any costs associated or related to labor, shipping, losses. Claims can only be approved with proof of purchase. If you need to return a part under warranty, please contact us.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I see mostly comparisons between factory 20's and lighter aftermarket 18/19/20's. But what about all of the people who are one factory 18's which are already much lighter than the factory 20s.

Would you expect (or for those who have made the swap , have you seen?) any noticeable improvements going from factory 18's to Forged 18's?

I see mostly comparisons between factory 20's and lighter aftermarket 18/19/20's. But what about all of the people who are one factory 18's which are already much lighter than the factory 20s.

Would you expect (or for those who have made the swap , have you seen?) any noticeable improvements going from factory 18's to Forged 18's?
Honestly, it will be hard to detect the 5ish pound difference per corner from the 23.5 lb stock wheels (with aero covers) to the 18 lb forged. You will notice more of a difference with different tires verses the stock 18's that came on the Model 3. I guess the real question is what is your goal? (tracking, daily driver, spirited daily driver, stronger wheels, more range, beauty, tax return burning a hole in your pocket) ? You can tell from my posts I am biased towards stronger wheels, but that was learned from damaging mutiple wheels on 3 different Tesla's I've owned since 2013. The weakest link on this car is the crappy OEM cast wheels, the bigger the wheel, the bigger the risk of fracture, bending etc... right now I am driving around on two bent OEM 19's on my S waiting for Titan or Martian to make a Model S forged wheel.... hint, if they are bent put them on the back axle, its less noticeable.

Honestly, it will be hard to detect the 5ish pound difference per corner from the 23.5 lb stock wheels (with aero covers) to the 18 lb forged. You will notice more of a difference with different tires verses the stock 18's that came on the Model 3. I guess the real question is what is your goal? (tracking, daily driver, spirited daily driver, stronger wheels, more range, beauty, tax return burning a hole in your pocket) ? You can tell from my posts I am biased towards stronger wheels, but that was learned from damaging mutiple wheels on 3 different Tesla's I've owned since 2013. The weakest link on this car is the crappy OEM cast wheels, the bigger the wheel, the bigger the risk of fracture, bending etc... right now I am driving around on two bent OEM 19's on my S waiting for Titan or Martian to make a Model S forged wheel.... hint, if they are bent put them on the back axle, its less noticeable.

My motivation is that I would like to leave my winter tires on the factory rims and have a second set of rims for the Summer/All Season. Do I buy second set of factory 18s, or buy something nicer?

I don't love the appearance of the factory 18s, but I don't hate them enough to justify spending 2-3x more unless there are other benefits.

• Informative