Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelihood of a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chademo adapter will be available in Japan for the Model S so probably elsewhere as well.

Tesla Model S To Have CHAdeMO Quick-Charge Adaptor In Japan
Once again, this is a circular reference to this post by Doug:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...Model-S/page33?p=249931&viewfull=1#post249931

So far that claim is still unconfirmed by any US source (it was only posted on a Japanese blog). Whatever happened to journalism? How difficult would it be for one of these US sources to reach out to Tesla for comment?

What's "frankenchad"? :)

Franken_Al.jpg
chads1.jpg

So I managed to get some confirmation on this from Tesla. For now, a CHAdeMo adapter is only confirmed for Japan. No word yet on pricing.

Physically the adapter will be as we anticipated. A box with a CHAdeMO inlet and a cable that connects to the Model S. You'd stow this adapter cable in your trunk like you would the UMC.

So I managed to get some confirmation on this from Tesla. For now, a CHAdeMo adapter is only confirmed for Japan. No word yet on pricing.

Physically the adapter will be as we anticipated. A box with a CHAdeMO inlet and a cable that connects to the Model S. You'd stow this adapter cable in your trunk like you would the UMC.

If it's in Japan, it's here too...either direct from Tesla or someone will be glad to resell it to us as import for a tidy profit.

If Tesla wanted to, they could easily restrict it to only operating on Japanese-spec cars (firmware). So even if you managed to get your hands on one from Japan, it may not work on your car here.

-Phil

Just received an email from Tesla:
Tesla is working on an adapter for CHAdeMO charging but does not yet have an official timeline on when it will be available.

So… good news there, cost, timing, etc… still an unknown, but it is nice to know they are working on one.

I'm trying to track the status of this in the FAQ:
4.1Does Tesla have a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S?

Just received an email from Tesla:
Tesla is working on an adapter for CHAdeMO charging but does not yet have an official timeline on when it will be available.
That hints at US availability rather than just Japanese availability. If they are going to make one for Japan anyways, I don't see any reason to not sell it in the US also. If they can get around the adapter ban in Europe, they can also sell in Europe.

- - - Updated - - -

^ you mean it isn't the size of an ENIAC like some here were adamant it would need to be? :eek: ;)
I don't think anyone expected it to be really huge in general (obviously it must be portable in the first place to be practical), just significantly larger than what the J1772 DC version would be (I expect that to be soda can sized like the standard J1772 adapter). It'll probably be similar to the UMC in size, at worse it'll be like an AVCON adapter (with the box designed to be on the ground and the cable plugged vertically into it). The cabling will also need to be fairly bulky to handle 50kW DC.

That hints at US availability rather than just Japanese availability. If they are going to make one for Japan anyways, I don't see any reason to not sell it in the US also. If they can get around the adapter ban in Europe, they can also sell in Europe.
Not just a hint, my question was to [email protected] and it was specific to the US.

I don't think anyone expected it to be really huge in general (obviously it must be portable in the first place to be practical), just significantly larger than what the J1772 DC version would be (I expect that to be soda can sized like the standard J1772 adapter). It'll probably be similar to the UMC in size, at worse it'll be like an AVCON adapter (with the box designed to be on the ground and the cable plugged vertically into it). The cabling will also need to be fairly bulky to handle 50kW DC.

The adapter on the ground doesn't seem to be a good solution for climates like the NW where it's raining all the time. I'm sure they'll come up with something, but that specifically does not seem to be a good 'mobile' solution.

It would seem to me that it would be less expensive, and result in less weight to cart around if everyone who wants this capability, got together and purchased an adapter for each charger location. Or maybe persuade Tesla to rent the adapters by the day.

Here's another vote for wanting a CHAdeMO adapter. Washington and Oregon recently put in nearly 50 high current DC CHAdeMO chargers along all the major roadways as part of the West Coast Electric Highway project. In a sense, we already have a complete Supercharger network installed up here that Model S owners can't use until Tesla puts out an adapter.
It's somewhat surprising Washington and Oregon is faster than California in the race for DC chargers, although now knowing the California requirement to support SAE at minimum, California may have been waiting for SAE DC to be finalized before going head on into DC chargers (rather than having to retrofit later).

It'll be interesting to see which adapter comes out first and also how the DC charger share looks when they come out.