Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelihood of increased accidents due to the stupid horn?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 23 MX with the stupid horn. I got a close call yesterday where I had to look for the horn to honk at the driver in opposite traffic to prevent a head on collision. Fortunately I had enough time. So it’s just a scare. What will it take for Tesla to come up with a solution?

It looks like center horn is back for new S/X yokes.

Not sure about rounded steering wheels. Not sure about retrofit.

I agree with you that the hunt and peck for current horn icon is dangerous.

• Informative
Reactions: mxnym and scottf200
I agree that the horn in the center is best and am hoping for the ability to retrofit. Even better if it is free or a very nominal price. I like that activating the dashcam has been added.

But for the off-centered horn, you don’t really have to delicately find the icon and push it with your index finger. It works to slap that general area with the palm of your hand. And no, it doesn’t activate the wipers.

Apparently if you have the steering wheel delimitation issue and get the steering wheel replaced, you will now get the redesigned yoke with better material and the center horn. I'm pretty sure if you have the old yoke, you will eventually have delimitation issues.

It looks like center horn is back for new S/X yokes.

Not sure about rounded steering wheels. Not sure about retrofit.

I agree with you that the hunt and peck for current horn icon is dangerous.
Same here - the first time I used the horn on my yoke, I had to briefly take my eyes off the road to find it among the other buttons. Definitely not ideal.

Glad to see that Tesla has aligned with the NHTSA that drivers expect the horn to be in the center. I now hope they offer a free/nominal retrofit option, especially to a wheel w/center horn. I tried the yoke and although it looks cool, would prefer to switch back to a wheel.

This happened to me last week. We live on a narrow hill and the car ahead of me decided to reverse right into my car in order to let an oncoming truck pass.

15 feet away I assumed driver would notice my car at some point and stop. I didn't feel it was necessary to immediately honk at my neighbor at 10AM on a sunny day.
10 feet away my instincts kicked in to either back up as well or alert the driver via horn. I decided to reverse out of respect for neighbors and driver since no one was behind me.
5-9 feet away and I remembered I needed to swipe down to reverse (unlike our 3/pre-refresh S with stalks).
4 feet away and my gut reaction was to ditch reversing the car and honk the horn instead.
3 feet away and no sound coming from the horn. Now in full panic mode. Gut reaction was to lay on the horn harder.
2 feet away I realize I need to press the small horn button on the upper right hand corner of the steering wheel. I look down.
1 ft away and I press the h... crash.

Yes, the driver accepted liability and the accident could have been prevented had we both made better decisions. Nevertheless, this was a bad move by Tesla and I'm glad they decided to revert back to the traditional placement for refresh 2024 S/X vehicles.

Elon, give me back my instrument cluster customization (and supercharging data on the main display) and I'll forget this ever happened.

This happened to me last week. We live on a narrow hill and the car ahead of me decided to reverse right into my car in order to let an oncoming truck pass.

15 feet away I assumed driver would notice my car at some point and stop. I didn't feel it was necessary to immediately honk at my neighbor at 10AM on a sunny day.
10 feet away my instincts kicked in to either back up as well or alert the driver via horn. I decided to reverse out of respect for neighbors and driver since no one was behind me.
5-9 feet away and I remembered I needed to swipe down to reverse (unlike our 3/pre-refresh S with stalks).
4 feet away and my gut reaction was to ditch reversing the car and honk the horn instead.
3 feet away and no sound coming from the horn. Now in full panic mode. Gut reaction was to lay on the horn harder.
2 feet away I realize I need to press the small horn button on the upper right hand corner of the steering wheel. I look down.
1 ft away and I press the h... crash.

Yes, the driver accepted liability and the accident could have been prevented had we both made better decisions. Nevertheless, this was a bad move by Tesla and I'm glad they decided to revert back to the traditional placement for refresh 2024 S/X vehicles.

Elon, give me back my instrument cluster customization (and supercharging data on the main display) and I'll forget this ever happened.

There it is, folks... the "stalks vs buttons" debate has officially been settled. I'm glad I'll never be in this situation, because I intend to always have stalks for turn signals and gear selection.

@Bixby MS - sorry this happened to you. Reading your post, I could literally feel the queasy feeling building in my stomach as I knew the car was getting closer.

I *really* hope Tesla backpedals on their decision to remove stalks.

There it is, folks... the "stalks vs buttons" debate has officially been settled. I'm glad I'll never be in this situation, because I intend to always have stalks for turn signals and gear selection.

@Bixby MS - sorry this happened to you. Reading your post, I could literally feel the queasy feeling building in my stomach as I knew the car was getting closer.

I *really* hope Tesla backpedals on their decision to remove stalks.
Yeah thanks. The horn button is fine for most driver alert applications, just not emergency situations... Which I suppose is the very purpose of a horn. Sigh.

I agree with others, in emergency situations, our brains have been trained to hit the center of the wheel. I've been lucky enough not to be in an accident, but after a few narrow misses and in those split seconds a horn would have helped, I'm not sure why there is even a debate about this. I'm personally surprised the NHTSA hasn't grabbed a hold of this one.

Reactions: father_of_6