Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelihood of model 3 supporting ccs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone here with enough knowledge of the SC and CCS standards to take a stab at the chances the 3 already has what it needs onboard to support CCS via adapter (considering the EU variant is CCS) ? I love the SC network (huge competitive advantage for TSLA) but when away from main highways it’s not rare to be stuck with much slower j1772 (even at level 2 it can mean double or triple charge time compared to the 20-30 min in SC)

Reactions: cwmagui
You’re only going to piss off those BMW’s, Bolts & Kona owners, plenty of Superchargers to cover any range in the states, I wouldn’t use them.

These are only 2 CCS in Yermo, Ca. and not even active yet. While on the other side 18 Superchargers.

4C63103D-7522-4284-9EA4-336E0F824F3E.jpeg

Anyone here with enough knowledge of the SC and CCS standards to take a stab at the chances the 3 already has what it needs onboard to support CCS via adapter (considering the EU variant is CCS) ? I love the SC network (huge competitive advantage for TSLA) but when away from main highways it’s not rare to be stuck with much slower j1772 (even at level 2 it can mean double or triple charge time compared to the 20-30 min in SC)

The standards are different and not compatible or interrelated in any way except the J1772 base before they go digital.

Tesla made a hardware change to EU cars in April to allow CCS with the adapter, which is why older S and X cars need a hardware replacement when they buy the adapter.

I've been speculating that Tesla may have updated hardware in US cars for future compatibility at the same time, but there's no evidence of this that I'm aware of.

I'd be very surprised if 3s built before the first EU 3s could use a dumb adapter without hardware changes, and while I'm speculating that current cars can there's no real reason to believe that.

Some forum members have received feedback from Tesla that a CCS adapter is in the works--maybe even this year. North American CCS standards are slightly different than European standards (Couldn't have the Europeans sell a product without requiring changes).

On another note, most SC charges take about 15 minutes (S85), unless there is a big gap to the next SC (e.g. 200 miles).

You’re only going to piss off those BMW’s, Bolts & Kona owners, plenty of Superchargers to cover any range in the states, I wouldn’t use them.

These are only 2 CCS in Yermo, Ca. and not even active yet. While on the other side 18 Superchargers.

Infrastructure varies tremendously by jurisdiction. Consider the information in this posting.

It is ridiculous Model 3 STILL has no working CCS / CHAdeMO adapter. What can we do?

More CCS and CHAdeMO chargers being installed in one round than all of the SCs in the jurisdiction.

Or this one,

EV Fast Charge car charging stations

A cross-country system of CCS & CHAdeMO chargers being installed, while Model 3 users can’t drive across the country using SCs.

A cross-country system of CCS & CHAdeMO chargers being installed, while Model 3 users can’t drive across the country using SCs.
1. From what I've seen when "Electrify America" gets built out, it will be similar to the SC network of 2015, with the exception that most locations will have only one or two stalls, rather than six or eight. I also hear reports that many of the ones already installed aren't working.
2. Model 3 users can't drive across the country using SCs. What nonsense is that?

Infrastructure varies tremendously by jurisdiction. Consider the information in this posting.

It is ridiculous Model 3 STILL has no working CCS / CHAdeMO adapter. What can we do?

More CCS and CHAdeMO chargers being installed in one round than all of the SCs in the jurisdiction.

Or this one,

EV Fast Charge car charging stations

Who told you 3s can't drive across country using Superchargers?

I've only read a couple dozen accounts of folks driving cross country in 3s using Superchargers in the last few months.

2. Model 3 users can't drive across the country using SCs. What nonsense is that?
What country ?
Who told you 3s can't drive across country using Superchargers?

I've only read a couple dozen accounts of folks driving cross country in 3s using Superchargers in the last few months.

In Canada we can't drive across the country (quickly). If I want to go to Vancouver from Montreal I need to go through the US. If not you're stuck with level 2 charging mostly.

Extremely likely. They come with it stock in Europe. Tesla support has on various occasions told people that an adapter is in the works.

I'd love to have it as in my town the DC fast charging stations are far more numerous and near my home than the superchargers are. More charging options the better.

Reactions: Msjulie
1. From what I've seen when "Electrify America" gets built out, it will be similar to the SC network of 2015, with the exception that most locations will have only one or two stalls, rather than six or eight. I also hear reports that many of the ones already installed aren't working.
EA highway sites have a minimum of 4 stalls, up to 10 or more, of which 2 are 350kW the other are 150kW, with dedicated power. The station output will be more similar to a V3 Supercharger site than a V2 site. Except for the single CHAdeMO stall, all the stalls also have redundant CCS connectors.

Reactions: cwmagui
In Canada we can't drive across the country (quickly). If I want to go to Vancouver from Montreal I need to go through the US. If not you're stuck with level 2 charging mostly.

I've been seeing sites popping up in permit on supercharge.info. It's likely you'll be able to drive the trans Canadian highway by the end of the year in Superchargers, but we'll see.

I know Sun Country installed a lot of high power level 2 charging in Canada, but I hadn't heard much about CCS up there.

Are you saying a CCS or CHAdeMO car can do the Canadian cross country drive right now on currently installed chargers?

• Love
Reactions: TI Sailor
This is CCS according to plugshare, spanning about 1000 km

View attachment 410617

Looks great. Until you realize that most of those ones with the wrench are "coming soon" sites that you can't actually charge at today, with no definite timeline for when they'll be open that I can find.

Maybe they'll open before the Superchargers scheduled this year, and maybe not. Right now neither is an option...

Reactions: UTMB and SageBrush