Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems shocking. In this day and age you would think all calculations would be done in MKS.
Rather offtopic, but it does explain why the IC shows MPH and not KMH.

When I drive the Trip Meter shows for example:

- 13,1km
- 3,5 seconds
- 13,2km
- 2,5 seconds
- 13,3km

There are these little things which make me think that internally it's all MPH.

My SC said $2150 and they keep the old MCU. My board is over at Tony’s place right now getting ready for surgery. I’m excited about the upgraded chip and hopefully will now have to replace for another 8 plus years.. here are a few pics for those thinking about doing it yourself. Actually only too about 2 very slow and careful hours to get the disassembly done. I previously replaced the IC screen, so it was sort of familiar territory.

Attachments

• 95ECCD1D-5533-4887-B929-5D18D606466D.jpeg
    95ECCD1D-5533-4887-B929-5D18D606466D.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 150
  • BD31FB64-2144-49F5-AC5B-24D26EF88B22.jpeg
    BD31FB64-2144-49F5-AC5B-24D26EF88B22.jpeg
    715.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 3DA78F94-347F-4292-BE92-28BBDBCAD845.jpeg
    3DA78F94-347F-4292-BE92-28BBDBCAD845.jpeg
    643.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 95D7C04A-5C66-4EED-898A-8312F9D920D7.jpeg
    95D7C04A-5C66-4EED-898A-8312F9D920D7.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 4DC19173-FF95-4FCA-B0F0-807FFF8F6537.jpeg
    4DC19173-FF95-4FCA-B0F0-807FFF8F6537.jpeg
    472.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 3A087B54-C39A-43C8-901D-5013AB755018.jpeg
    3A087B54-C39A-43C8-901D-5013AB755018.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 120
  • C02831D4-26F0-4618-B125-7F2E8E07858E.jpeg
    C02831D4-26F0-4618-B125-7F2E8E07858E.jpeg
    728.2 KB · Views: 118
Add me to the list of failed MCUs. 2013 Model S, bought from Tesla a year ago so luckily still under warranty. Driving home last night the display screen froze, then showed the Tesla logo, then totally blacked out. Would not reset. Climate will not turn off from the app, nor will anything MCU-related work from the app. Just lock/unlock the car. Drove it to the SC tonight, left the key, and sent them a note. Hopefully it won't take long.

Reactions: scottf200
Add me to the list of failed MCUs. 2013 Model S, bought from Tesla a year ago so luckily still under warranty. Driving home last night the display screen froze, then showed the Tesla logo, then totally blacked out. Would not reset. Climate will not turn off from the app, nor will anything MCU-related work from the app. Just lock/unlock the car. Drove it to the SC tonight, left the key, and sent them a note. Hopefully it won't take long.

If they are slow you can always contact us PM for more details. I'm @TonyT by the way, just using our new name.

Reactions: MikeBur
For those in the Central Florida area or willing to drive to C.F., I will remove and reinstall the Tegra, and EV-Fixme will do the software/hardware upgrade. PM if interested. TonyT and I have an agreement in place.

If they are slow you can always contact us PM for more details. I'm @TonyT by the way, just using our new name.
Thanks for the offer, you are providing a great service to people.

I did stop by the SC this morning, and sure enough the MCU is fried, luckily I am still under warranty, so will be covered. But for those out of warranty, it makes sense to go to a third party for the repair.

I am sure this issue will arise again with whatever they put in to replace my failed unit, because they aren't addressing the underlying issue.

Reactions: TonyT
Thanks for the offer, you are providing a great service to people.

I did stop by the SC this morning, and sure enough the MCU is fried, luckily I am still under warranty, so will be covered. But for those out of warranty, it makes sense to go to a third party for the repair.

I am sure this issue will arise again with whatever they put in to replace my failed unit, because they aren't addressing the underlying issue.
Correct. The new one will likely last much longer since they are taking some steps. Be sure to contact us as soon as you seen issues over the next decade if you keep your car long.

I was successful in removing my eMMC using Tony's guide. He has since downloaded and upgraded my chip, the board is on its way back to me for install.

The job is pretty straight forward. My car is quite a bit older than most, a 2012 Signature, so here are a few things I'll add:

These two pictures show the two problems I had. First, the electrical connector circled was stuck and ended up being very difficult to remove. Eventually, I got it disconnected it but broke the snap that firmly holds it in place. We'll see if everything works ok without replacing the connector.

The second problem was a real PITA. The bracket I have circled is used to hold the two halves of the MCU together with two screws per bracket. Unfortunately, this bracket broke. It has a nut on the back of the bracket that the screw threads into. As I was unthreading the screw, the nut broke free and the screw just turned freely, stuck. I ended up having to drill out the screw to get the MCU completely apart.

The takeaway is be careful when unscrewing the MCU. There are 12 screws and most of mine were quite stuck and difficult to turn. They would squeal, not wanting to thread out easily. One broke, fortunately none others. I'm looking into replacing the bracket. If not, I can probably get away with reassembling without one screw.

Also, tape the aluminum trim! I thought the suggestion applied to the carbon/wood trim but really it applies mostly to the aluminum edging. I scratched the dashboard's aluminum trim when pulling out the MCU because it sits awkwardly while you're getting it unplugged.

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 84
I think @Tony mailed ours both out today. I’m looking forward to getting mine put back together again. Sorry to hear about the connector- they seem pretty tight in there, hopefully they won’t work loose. If it makes you feel any better, I think I broke a tab where the lower dash cover mounts. War wounds, LOL.

Does anyone know how to upgrade the connection from 3 G to LTE?

Reactions: Akikiki
Does anyone know how to upgrade the connection from 3 G to LTE?

I researched the upgrade and am currently waiting to see how the new eMMC improves my MCU performance. If you decide to do it its very similar to the work we've already done to remove the MCU. You'll need to purchase the chipset / board off eBay or another source. Be aware, you need an LTE sim card with the board. The ones I saw on eBay were being sold without the sim card. Might be someone here at TMC that is parting out and could us up with the LTE board and sim card.

I"m waiting because from what I gleaned the opinions were mixed. I've heard the speed difference may not be very noticeable. LTE coverage is also sometimes not as good as 3G. Rumor here is that Tesla has actually been upgrading some cars on their own because AT&T is trying to phase out LTE. I'm not sure if they would do such an upgrade on a car that is out of warranty, which mine is.

My hope is the MCU repair will increase the speed of my map loading and streaming audio. If so, I'll probably stick with 3G. If the displays are still pretty slow I'll reconsider the upgrade.

I just spoke with the local service center (West Palm Beach, FL). I was told it is $109 for the board and SIM card kit. He said that it is “likely” plug and play, but in some instances it will require a software push. The software push is 1 hour of labor ($175). FWIW, to do the entire project is only 2 hours labor. So I am looking at a $175 gamble. They have the cards in stock. I am likely going to take the gamble and see if it works. Anyone out there tried to replace the card and had it fail? I don’t mind the $110 for the card, but the software push at $175 is highway robbery! Maybe I’ll take donuts to the service department and see if I can get a hook up if the software push is needed

I was successful in removing my eMMC using Tony's guide. He has since downloaded and upgraded my chip, the board is on its way back to me for install.

The job is pretty straight forward. My car is quite a bit older than most, a 2012 Signature, so here are a few things I'll add:

These two pictures show the two problems I had. First, the electrical connector circled was stuck and ended up being very difficult to remove. Eventually, I got it disconnected it but broke the snap that firmly holds it in place. We'll see if everything works ok without replacing the connector.

The second problem was a real PITA. The bracket I have circled is used to hold the two halves of the MCU together with two screws per bracket. Unfortunately, this bracket broke. It has a nut on the back of the bracket that the screw threads into. As I was unthreading the screw, the nut broke free and the screw just turned freely, stuck. I ended up having to drill out the screw to get the MCU completely apart.

The takeaway is be careful when unscrewing the MCU. There are 12 screws and most of mine were quite stuck and difficult to turn. They would squeal, not wanting to thread out easily. One broke, fortunately none others. I'm looking into replacing the bracket. If not, I can probably get away with reassembling without one screw.

Also, tape the aluminum trim! I thought the suggestion applied to the carbon/wood trim but really it applies mostly to the aluminum edging. I scratched the dashboard's aluminum trim when pulling out the MCU because it sits awkwardly while you're getting it unplugged.

I think some of the MCU assembly screws may have been heavily lock-tited.

Also to be clear, I'm assuming you removed your MCU daughtercard to send to Tony,not the eMMC itself, correct?