Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could press on them - see the selections - press the button below the right scroll wheel and choose other options - all of that does nothing. Some can drive their cars. Unfortunately, I had PIN to drive activated so when the MCU was dead, the car would not go into gear. Constant - powering up, press the break after this message disappears.

Unfortunately, issues like this are going to make Teslas that are out of warranty depreciate like a out-of-warranty AMG or other high end German car. I'd love to get a Tesla, but I don't see how I could afford to own one out of warranty as you literally have no options but to pay the $3,500. Once enough Model S's get completely out of warranty and these repairs become commonplace, I'd expect to see a Class-Action Lawsuit happen. It'd be like an ECU on a ICE vehicle fail every 3 years with the only option being for the dealership to replace it at that high cost.

This is good information as I have an 2015 S85. So when the MCU fails, you can't turn on the AC by pressing the steering wheel scroll button on the right? Or any scroll button options are gone?

Had a similar-sounding MCU failure in January/February (April 2015 S85D). In my case the HVAC was on and wouldn't shut off. Steering wheel buttons didn't make a difference, obviously the CID wasn't responding, and the climate controls in the iOS app didn't work either. I called tech support and they couldn't come up with anything either, so I ended up taking the car to the service center before the HVAC drained the battery. Interestingly, AP worked just fine.

OP, this should be a pretty straightforward replacement. One problem that sometimes happens after an MCU replacement is that you might not be able to use the app to unlock your car or open the trunk/frunk (happened to me). Try it out at the service center before you leave. It's this problem:

Unable to unlock via phone after MCU replacement

Bruce.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the MCU be covered out of warranty
Unfortunately, issues like this are going to make Teslas that are out of warranty depreciate like a out-of-warranty AMG or other high end German car. I'd love to get a Tesla, but I don't see how I could afford to own one out of warranty as you literally have no options but to pay the $3,500. Once enough Model S's get completely out of warranty and these repairs become commonplace, I'd expect to see a Class-Action Lawsuit happen. It'd be like an ECU on a ICE vehicle fail every 3 years with the only option being for the dealership to replace it at that high cost.
I agree, but I wouldn't be surprised to see if this is covered out of warranty like the MCU bubble or yellow issues with the MCU screens. IF they stay on top of it and make refurbished MCU daughter cards with higher quality eMMC chips, and they publicize to current owners, there should be no worry about a class action lawsuit.

Regarding worry about buying an out of warranty Model S? Buy one with warranty (like I did)!

Hey everyone!

Well it looks like the honeymoon is over. On March 22nd I picked up one of the best cars I've ever owned. A November 2015 Model S 85D. I love every minute of driving it until 2 days ago.

After work on Monday (May 13th) I was driving home and went into settings to look at something. Once I clicked the settings menu the center screen froze and went black. I assumed it would restart on its own since I've read that a lot on the forums. It didn't come back on. I tried to reset it by pressing the 2 scroll wheels on the steering wheel for 15 seconds and nothing happened. I live in New York and lately all it does is rain. So the entire car fogged up.

View attachment 407939

View attachment 407940

I couldn't find a customer service number so I chatted with Tesla customer service while I was pulled over. They couldn't connect to the car remotely and after I attempted more resets they pretty much said there was nothing they could do so I should either drive to a service center or call roadside assistance.

I had to pick up my daughter from my wife's aunts house (I was already late since I sat on the side of the road for 30 minutes chatting with Tesla). When I picked her up I apologized and told her what happened. The uncle laughed and said "you should have bought American" which I thought was funny since it's built in California. I told him that, but he didn't seem to really care.

On my way home I called roadside assistance and they asked me to perform different resets, but those didn't work. It was nice they pulled up the notes from my chat so I didn't have to go over everything again. They said they could have the car towed and an Uber for me, but I said I would drive to a service center since one is about 10 minutes from my house.

I dropped my car off after hours and went back yesterday to pick up a loaner (pre-AP P85+). The service center staff was very nice and helpful. I was worried I was going to get some Enterprise rental, but they told me they rarely ever do that anymore. They even made sure the loaner was a similar battery size since I have the 85, and not a 60 or 75.

View attachment 407941
(never seen the green in person, but I definitely liked it a lot)

I still love my car. Nothing is perfect and cars break all the time. The car is under warranty so I am assuming I should walk away from this with a $0 bill. There were also recalls on the car so they said they would take care of that while the car is there.

The one problem I had was the car was basically useless other than moving. I couldn't see out of any window since I couldn't turn on the defroster. I had to open most of the windows in the pouring rain which I was not a fan of doing.

I think Tesla handled the situation the best they could. They couldn't connect to the car so they offered to have the car towed for no cost and get me home at no cost. I was given a comparable car as a loaner so I was happy (I wish it had AP, but I'll live).

I'm assuming the module that logs data finally went out. Any ideas of how long it normally takes to have this replaced?

• Informative
Reactions: Shadious
It is so sad after so many years Tesla has not gotten the acts together. Drive by wire is dangerous when there is no redundancy. When the computer decides to quit when the car is in motion, you never know when it will stop or where. I have be tinkling with the idea of trading my 14 with AP1 to a newer MS. Stories like yours plus my several unpleasant experience with my local SC is holding me back. I have been waiting to hear good news about part availability, loaner cars readily offered and quick service turn around. Unfortunately, I have not heard much improvements. With the number of M3 it is selling, the already overwhelmed SC will be worst and a June appointment date can turn into July and August. Without hearing any plan of SC expansion, I think I will stay put and hope my MS behaves.

Most Tesla owners LOVE the button-less dash, but IMO there are at least some buttons that are essential and should be available. Not wise to depend on the screen for everything. We don't want MB or Porsche level of button craziness, but come on now, SOME are needed.

Couldn't agree with you more. I would love a separate physical button or switch for the sunroof and lights.

I disagree except for hazard lights. The glove box button for symmetry, but that’s it. I sat in a Cadillac (Enterprise rental when no Tesla loaners we’re available) and got dizzy.

Haha. My obtuse response would be: How do you disagree with an opinion about what I would like? Wouldn't I have the proper knowledge and perspective of what I like?

But I understand what you're trying to say. It is nice to have a clean layout, but I'm sure you'd a agree that a few buttons wouldn't crowd the dash.

Haha. My obtuse response would be: How do you disagree with an opinion about what I would like? Wouldn't I have the proper knowledge and perspective of what I like?

But I understand what you're trying to say. It is nice to have a clean layout, but I'm sure you'd a agree that a few buttons wouldn't crowd the dash.
I stand corrected. I don’t disagree that you have an opinion as stated. However, my opinion is in contrast. I struggle with the two buttons that do exist with their fixed functions. The function of the hazard lights should never change. But mixing modalities is asking for trouble. Just ask the Model 3 owner who got a Model S as a loaner who spent ten minutes searching through menus trying to open the glove box.

• Funny
Reactions: maximizese
Wow, I can't believe it but the SAME THING happened to me on Sunday, was driving from Nassau to Suffolk (NY), the bluetooth stopped working, I reset the screen and it never came back. Kids in the car, can't see anything out of the front window, wife on windshield wipe duty - not great.

First appointment via the app - June 19th. Called the service center on Monday in Syosset, they asked me to come by to try a reset but told me there are no loaners. Drove there on Tuesday, reset did not work, but luckily a loaner showed up. They took the car in, told me the MCU will likely be replaced. Called on Thursday, the car was ready, asked about what was done, got a confirmation that the MCU was indeed replaced (ok, great!). Drove down to Syosset, sat in the car with the rep, immediately noticed that the old screen protector on my MCU is still on - told them that it did not appear that the MCU was replaced. It was interesting to see the rep trying to check the car only to see that the MCU wouldn't turn on while I'm sitting next to him.

At this point I had mixed feelings as I am sure many of us do when getting our beloved MS serviced at a SC - on the one hand I am glad they took me in and tried to do something, on the other I was very surprised by the poor communication internally and with me. Additionally, I had a mobile appointment to request that the rear left door handle be looked at cause it was getting jammed (common when the hot weather strikes). Saw on the invoice that they replaced the harness IN THE DRIVERS DOOR (again, great, I do not mind but did not ask for that as the issue was with the rear left door, not the driver's door). All said, still love the SC in Syosset and the great people that work there (don't think it's the staff necessarily, perhaps improvements in the overall system are required or just additional SC to reduce the crazy influx of cars adding to the chaos).

Was told that they did a factory reset on the MCU which worked for a while but then stopped working, I guess, right before I arrived and thus the screen was still pitch black.

Was leaving the service center and asked if they are really going to replace the MCU this time (like for real, real :)) and was told that they would and would tend to the other issues I had for my planned mobile appointment.

Still under warranty until August.

As I was reading your post I couldnt believe they replaced your MCU in a couple days and mine is still sitting there. After I finished I realized we will prob be on the same timeline. I texted them over the weekend and they still haven't even diagnosed my issue yet.

I agree, but I wouldn't be surprised to see if this is covered out of warranty like the MCU bubble or yellow issues with the MCU screens.

Umm? What? Tesla is not covering the MCU display leaking or yellow border issues out of warranty. (Unless they happened, and were documented, while in warranty and they were waiting for updated parts to do the replacement.

Had a similar-sounding MCU failure in January/February (April 2015 S85D). In my case the HVAC was on and wouldn't shut off. Steering wheel buttons didn't make a difference, obviously the CID wasn't responding, and the climate controls in the iOS app didn't work either. I called tech support and they couldn't come up with anything either, so I ended up taking the car to the service center before the HVAC drained the battery. Interestingly, AP worked just fine.

OP, this should be a pretty straightforward replacement. One problem that sometimes happens after an MCU replacement is that you might not be able to use the app to unlock your car or open the trunk/frunk (happened to me). Try it out at the service center before you leave. It's this problem:

Unable to unlock via phone after MCU replacement

Bruce.

Glad I read the response from Bruce! Was at the Syosset SC yesterday and the MCU was indeed replaced this time but the trunk/frunk did not open from the app which the tech fixed within an hour or so. However, there was another issue...

As I was reading your post I couldnt believe they replaced your MCU in a couple days and mine is still sitting there. After I finished I realized we will prob be on the same timeline. I texted them over the weekend and they still haven't even diagnosed my issue yet.

May be I got lucky, not sure but this is the way it worked out and it's certainly not always the case. Here is the interesting part, as mentioned above, the MCU was in fact replaced this time and everything appeared to have worked after the security settings were adjusted to allow for full mobile control as per guidance from Bruce. Guess what though, the initial reason I reset the MCU while driving was because the bluetooth got stuck in its initializing phase (I reset it and it never came back which led to the said replacement). I get in my car, try to pair my phone via Bluetooth and the same thing happens again (the MCU did not die but Bluetooth was stuck in an initializing phase). So, long story short, my car is still at the SC because the tech could not figure out what the issue was. Hence, I am not sure who will receive their car first, you or me :)

Glad I read the response from Bruce! Was at the Syosset SC yesterday and the MCU was indeed replaced this time but the trunk/frunk did not open from the app which the tech fixed within an hour or so. However, there was another issue...

May be I got lucky, not sure but this is the way it worked out and it's certainly not always the case. Here is the interesting part, as mentioned above, the MCU was in fact replaced this time and everything appeared to have worked after the security settings were adjusted to allow for full mobile control as per guidance from Bruce. Guess what though, the initial reason I reset the MCU while driving was because the bluetooth got stuck in its initializing phase (I reset it and it never came back which led to the said replacement). I get in my car, try to pair my phone via Bluetooth and the same thing happens again (the MCU did not die but Bluetooth was stuck in an initializing phase). So, long story short, my car is still at the SC because the tech could not figure out what the issue was. Hence, I am not sure who will receive their car first, you or me :)

That’s a good question.

I received a notification from the Tesla App about 30 minutes ago saying “software update complete” however mobile access is now disabled. So your guess is as good as mine.