Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your wish is granted.

Why would Tesla warrant a paid MCU replacement for four years and unlimited miles if they regularly fail within 3 years?

How many 2016s have we seen with dead MCUs? Surely some but to suggest an epidemic is gross, hyperbolic exaggeration.
So you ok if I change it to 4 years instead of 3?
P.s. sorry op for hijacking your thread.

@am_dmd this is another nice example of what I'm talking about, actually. "Everyone" knows the storage chips have limited lifespan. So having them in some slot (read: replaceable) would be logical approach. Or at least to offer some kind of "refurbishing" for like $500, obviously it's possible to do it for such price. But why to do it if you can charge $2k5 (here most probably closer to $3k) a the most of the customers (will) have to bite the bullet and pay.

Last edited:
Reactions: am_dmd
Forgot to add ~$2500 every 3 years for MCU failure :mad:

Nope.

So you ok if I change it to 4 years instead of 3?

Nope, again.

Even if the MCU failed every 3 years, which they don't all, the out of warranty replacement is warrantied for 4 years. That means that when the replacement fails in 3 years they replace it for free and you get another 3 years.

Also the price has recently dropped to ~$1,800.

So in a worst case scenario it is ~$1,800 every 6 years for the MCU failure. (or $300 per year.)

Nope.

Nope, again.

Even if the MCU failed every 3 years, which they don't all, the out of warranty replacement is warrantied for 4 years. That means that when the replacement fails in 3 years they replace it for free and you get another 3 years.

So in a worst case scenario it is ~$1,800 every 6 years for the MCU failure. (or $300 per year.)
Is this in writing anywhere?
I know replacement headlights (drl dimming) they had verbally said warrantied for 1 year not 4 years.

Nope.

Nope, again.

Actually, if the replacement MCU that you paid for fails during the warranty period, you only get the remainder of the warranty period or (I think) 1 year, whichever is longer. You do not get another 4 year extension on the warranty unless you pay for the second replacement MCU.

Actually, if the replacement MCU that you paid for fails during the warranty period, you only get the remainder of the warranty period or (I think) 1 year, whichever is longer. You do not get another 4 year extension on the warranty unless you pay for the second replacement MCU.

Yes, but that doesn't change how long it will last. Sure there is a chance that it will fail one day out of the 4-year warranty, but there is a chance it could last 5, or more, years too.

It would be a good idea if you reread your quote again :rolleyes:

I don't see where I said they extend the warranty:

You get 3 years of use, it fails, they replace it under warranrty, you get 3 more years of use. So paying for one replacement you get 6 years. (Again going under the false pretense that all MCU1s fail after three years.)

I don't see where I said they extend the warranty:

You get 3 years of use, it fails, they replace it under warranrty, you get 3 more years of use. So paying for one replacement you get 6 years. (Again going under the false pretense that all MCU1s fail after three years.)
What if the replacement fails after 1 year? So you just assumed that even replacement will last for another 3 years?
That's what I asked if it's in writing how long the replacement part is warrantied for?

Last edited:
What if the replacement fails after 1 year? So you just assumed that even replacement will last for another 3 years?

I was just going based on your statement that you would have to replace the MCU every three years:

Forgot to add ~$2500 every 3 years for MCU failure :mad:

That's what I asked if it's in writing how long the replacement part is warrantied for?
That's what I asked you if there is anywhere inwb

You made it sound like you were questioning my statement saying that the warranty was for 4 years:

Is this in writing anywhere?
I know replacement headlights (drl dimming) they had verbally said warrantied for 1 year not 4 years.

Which is why I pointed you to the warranty page that shows that a replacement MCU is warrantied for 4 years.

I was just going based on your statement that you would have to replace the MCU every three years:

You made it sound like you were questioning my statement saying that the warranty was for 4 years:

Which is why I pointed you to the warranty page that shows that a replacement MCU is warrantied for 4 years.
May be I should have asked more precisely about warranty replacement MCU.
I know replacement MCU is warrantied for 4 years but if it breaks in just under 3 years and Tesla replaces it again. What's the warranty on that second replacement part? If it's only 1 year or remaining of original 4 years warranty you are still stuck with another replacement after 4 years. In worst case scenario you are stuck with replacing MCU every 4 years. I just can't justify replacing the main component of vehicle every 4 years.

Nope.

Nope, again.

Do you have a invoice indicating this price. I'm going in tomorrow to have my dead eMMC/MCU replaced. That price sounds way better than the $2800 I've seen on other posts.

EDIT: I was just quoted $2952. Does anyone have proof of a less expensive repair?
Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 2.50.57 PM.png

Last edited:
I know replacement MCU is warrantied for 4 years but if it breaks in just under 3 years and Tesla replaces it again. What's the warranty on that second replacement part? If it's only 1 year or remaining of original 4 years warranty you are still stuck with another replacement after 4 years. In worst case scenario you are stuck with replacing MCU every 4 years.

Huh? o_O So the first replacement is going to last 3 years but you are positive the second replacement is only going to last 1?

You might have to pay to replace the MCU every 4 years, but if it last 3 years like you say you only have to pay every 6 years. If it lasts 3.9 years you only have to pay to replace it every 7.8 years. (Of course if it lasts 4.01 years you would have to pay to replace it every 4.01 years.)

Or you could buy an extended warranty that costs about the same as the MCU, and it would cover lots of other things too. (Like the charger, DC-DC, AC, etc. that are all common failures.) (I'm not sure about the price on that, it could cost double the cost of a replacement MCU.)

Do you have a invoice indicating this price. I'm going in tomorrow to have my dead eMMC/MCU replaced. That price sounds way better than the $2800 I've seen on other posts.

I don't but someone else did. The $1,800 was for MCU byitself, total was ~$2,100 including labor and taxes: Musk confirms/Tesla Refutes upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2

Everything was done by Tesla; the part number (and price) is what alluded me to the fact that it was not a new part. I can't say what was actually refurbished on this but it comes with a 4 year/unlimited mileage warranty so if it was just an old MCU with a new screen, I'll be covered when this thing fails.

Using the replacement unit, I actually find it to be less responsive than my old one and some text has briefly glitched on me once already.

upload_2019-10-20_11-20-35-png.468156