Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living with the 16v LV battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since its purpose is to open the frunk when it is locked due to a dead low-voltage battery, you must obviously not put the emergency battery in the frunk.

The connectors for emergency power are under the lid in the front bumper. That's where I put the battery.

It is a small 12 V battery, a bit bigger than AA size. Found it on Amazon. I don't know the type any more.

Right, the small battery gets placed under that small lid, which will allow you to open the frunk. But what do you do once the frunk is opened? Need something to boost the LV battery enough to power on the systems to put it into tow mode etc. This is where I am debating between a battery powered jump starter, or a small LifePO4 battery.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Happy to help. Yes, it would not be good to pin the 12v out if using the battery. Likekly wouldn't hurt brake servos. Mind you the stepdown transformer I showed would work just fine. Or thought I showed. Maybe in a different thread.

Here is a step down transformer that should work very well:

These are good solutions and all but why didn't Tesla create a 16V battery that acks like 12V and just use something like this in their batter module?

Reactions: dafish
The problem with these converters (not technically a transformer) is that they consume power when unused.
Indeed it's a DC-DC converter. They will consume some power when nothing is connected to the output side, but it's not significant. You'd need the specific IC spec but I don't think it will be more than a few tens of mA (maybe up to 100 mA).

Some have an enable line which would allow shutting down to below a few mA.

This thread, from 2022 [Power Inverters for newer 16V Outlet Cars] is proof that the higher 16 V output is preventing a lot of the older power inverters from working.

In addition to the info in that thread, I can report that the older power inverter I had bought for my Model 3 in 2020, and worked fine with the older batt in that Model 3, would not work at all with the higher voltage 16V Li-ion battery in my 2022 Model Y.

So the higher voltage, is non standard, and clearly there are a lot of 12 Vdc accessories sold that won't NECESSARILY work at the higher 16 V nominal voltage of the newer Li-ion battery Tesla uses now.

So for those of you looking for jump starters or frunk popping batteries …

Just be aware that if you really truly run that 15V LFP battery down to dead, it’s going to need to be replaced. There’s no charging it back up from dead without disassembling it … and that’s a Really Bad Idea.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart

Attachments

• IMG_7693.jpeg
    IMG_7693.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 96
Multimeter question: how do you get a voltage reading when an object is running…or does your cooler itself provide a display?

Not sure about his, but my 12V cooler does have a voltage display, yeah. I tried using a 12V extension cable in my Classic X with it and had just enough voltage drop for it to cut out occasionally.

Another advantage of the newer architecture.