Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any tire inflators compatible with new 16v Li-Ion battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DB9031D2-EF04-47BD-B56E-30C7EDDAE75D.jpeg

I wouldn’t even bother with a 12-16V dedicated/corded tire inflator. I picked up this thing last summer for about $30 from Home Depot because I wanted something to inflate the pool & beach toys for the kids.. and also my wife's standup paddleboard.. while on vacation or having fun during the weekends. Little did I realize just how fantastic this device is for inflating practically ANYTHING. It has dual hoses. The smaller hose for tires, sports balls, etc. The larger hose is for bigger inflatables like an air mattress. The 18V batteries are cheap, plentiful, and last a long time. I used this 4-5x already this summer and the battery is still indicating it's full via 4/4 green LEDs. So maybe once a year I'll swap the battery out with another 18V pack that had already been sitting on the charger and is completely full.

I’ve only used it to inflate tires, a few times, but still been just as amazed at how easily quickly & quietly this device completes the task. Most recently while charging my Tesla at an Electrify America CCS charger of all places, a lady pulled up in a Hyundai hybrid asking for the nearest gas station. You can already imagine how weird this interaction began as I’m clearly driving an electric car.. why would she stop and ask me where is the gas station lol? That said, I gave her the information and asked specifically what she was looking for. She said she just pulled off the highway because her tire was low and she needed air. So I opened my hatch, hooked up this device to her tire, turned it on and set the PSI to 38 (recommended PSI for her car).. and pressed the start button. Within 30 seconds, her tire was fully inflated and she was ready to jump back on the highway.

Now that I know better. This thing stays in my car 24/7. Even if I need to use it around the house, it still sits right in the hatch of my Y. I also keep a tire plug kit.. 12V USB jump pack which has built-in LED light & strobe mode.. roadside emergency kit with gloves & red LED hazard blinking signs.. A very powerful 900 Lumen LED flashlight and a few random tools I've found extremely useful for stranded vehicles. I've gotten quite a few stuck people going.. including myself.. by being able to do quick/minor repairs safely on the side of the road. And without waiting hours for a tow truck.. or worrying about my safety while waiting for help in strange places & scenarios.

Last edited:
I also ordered and use the VIAIR Compressor from Amazon on my Model Y. However, I ordered the model that has the right angle connector for the tire, as I like those better than the threaded connector since they attach and detach faster.

Nice! You’re right, the right angle connector is more convenient. The only reason I went threaded is reliability, though I doubt there is much of a difference. Looks like you got the 75P, a smaller more compact unit. I almost went that route. I’ve used my VIAIR 85P a few times now, and impressed so far. I also carry a Boulder Tools plug kit now, just as a backup. I’ve had 2 flats now in less than a year of ownership and want to make sure I’m prepared!

I have a craftsman inflator. It works in the Tesla 12v outlet, can plug into a standard home 120v outlet and can use a craftsman 20v rechargeable battery. I've used it a lot over the years. Every so often it goes on sale.

Bought this one and would not recommend it.
It has preset pressure setting and when it reaches it, it shuts off.
You inflate 4 tires and all of them have different psi.
Set the damn thing at 41 psi on cold tires.
Inflated with following order and got different reading on all tires.

Right Rear - 41
Right Front - 42
Left Rear - 43
Left Front - 43

Looks like it is increasing pressure as you pump your tires.

Some Helteko Air Compressor from Amazon is way more accurate. Problem is the wire not long enough to reach right front tire.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Bought this one and would not recommend it.
It has preset pressure setting and when it reaches it, it shuts off.
You inflate 4 tires and all of them have different psi.
Set the damn thing at 41 psi on cold tires.
Inflated with following order and got different reading on all tires.

Right Rear - 41
Right Front - 42
Left Rear - 43
Left Front - 43

Looks like it is increasing pressure as you pump your tires.

Some Helteko Air Compressor from Amazon is way more accurate. Problem is the wire not long enough to reach right front tire.

Really? How are you reading the tire pressure after inflation? Mine are always accurate.

Really? How are you reading the tire pressure after inflation? Mine are always accurate.
I am looking at Tesla tire pressure monitor in the system.
At the beginning I though it was just a fluke but it is a constant one.
I got it because it has AC/DC capabilities and can inflate other stuff. but accuracy is not Craftsman friend.

Again, was using some cheap stuff from Amazon and it was always dead on for me. if I put 41psi Tesla will confirm 41 psi after driving a loop around the neighborhood.

The reason I got Craftsman is because I needed to pull out my wife's car to use her outlet to inflate MY tires :rolleyes:

• Funny
I am looking at Tesla tire pressure monitor in the system.
At the beginning I though it was just a fluke but it is a constant one.
I got it because it has AC/DC capabilities and can inflate other stuff. but accuracy is not Craftsman friend.

Again, was using some cheap stuff from Amazon and it was always dead on for me. if I put 41psi Tesla will confirm 41 psi after driving a loop around the neighborhood.

The reason I got Craftsman is because I needed to pull out my wife's car to use her outlet to inflate MY tires :rolleyes:
At the risk of stating the obvious, you have to drive a few metres before the tire pressure monitor updates to the new pressure.

At the risk of stating the obvious, you have to drive a few metres before the tire pressure monitor updates to the new pressure.
Believe me I know how it works. I put 25k on MY. and had other cars with similar tire pressure systems.
As I stated in my post I would drive a loop to see updated values.
My digital pressure gauge confirms the same.
Pretty annoying to spend more time deflating tires to match all around.

My craftsman is normally fairly accurate and I check tire pressure with an ANSI guage. You are going to dump a small amount of air removing the chuck. These auto stop inflators are also hitting a number and attempting to stop a cycling piston at high rpm when they hit that number. There is just no way they can be totally accurate because the piston can continue cycling after power is cut depending on where it is in the stroke.

Even that 18v Milwaukee lists their guage accuracy at + or - 1psi which means you could get the same exact results. They list their 12v compact compressor as + or - 3%.

I've used both. Nothing bad about them but they made them battery powered only.

Interesting thread. You "Ohms Law Guys" are killing me! :D

As someone who has filled up more tires than most likely every one of you (owned bike store for 30+ years), I can add a tidbit on the quality of the connectors to tire valve stems. Some of the pumps listed, including the expensive ones, show a quick release type black plastic thumb lock, which squeezes the plastic (rubber?) grommet to seal the connection up. While that may work reliably for a while, there is a problem with age and temps. The plasic thumb lock can break when aged a few years, when applied with excessive force, or in those combinations when very cold.

What I recommend instead is using a pump with a machined brass connector that threads onto valves. While slightly less fast to use, the reliability is going to be very high, and shouldn't suffer degradation over time or using it in very cold temperatures.

When I sold hand pumps as accessories, I would always warn about those cheap plastic thumb lock closers. I had broken far too many of them, even brand new units, If a quick release thumb lock model appeals to anyone, you may do better by trying to find one with a thumb lock made of metal. For me, and with auto tires, I'm going to stick to the brass screw-on type, similar to what we currently use on our GSPSCN 12v silver dual-cylinder unit. That will stay in the Prius. I'm still shopping for an inflator for the Y.

For very high pressure tires (100+ psi), and obviously applications we're not talking about here, good quick releases are about the only way to go unless you're using a dedicated free-standing compressor with specific tire chucks.

Last edited:
What I recommend instead is using a pump with a machined brass connector that threads onto valves. While slightly less fast to use, the reliability is going to be very high, and shouldn't suffer degradation over time or using it in very cold temperatures.
TRUTH!!!

I had no idea how awesome the threaded brass connector was until I used it on my Ryobi portable compressor. No more fighting with both hands to keep the nozzle firmly attached AND control/operate the compressor. Just like a valve cap.. screw it on! No leaks. 100% perfect seal. And one-hand control that allows you to take your time to operate the pump and make sure you are inflating to the exact PSI you desire.

Believe me I know how it works. I put 25k on MY. and had other cars with similar tire pressure systems.
As I stated in my post I would drive a loop to see updated values.
My digital pressure gauge confirms the same.
Pretty annoying to spend more time deflating tires to match all around.
I learned long ago to never trust tire pumps. I overinflate a bit and then use a good tire pressure gauge with a built-in bleed valve to dial in the pressure exactly. It's pretty quick; just a few seconds to adjust.

I learned long ago to never trust tire pumps. I overinflate a bit and then use a good tire pressure gauge with a built-in bleed valve to dial in the pressure exactly. It's pretty quick; just a few seconds to adjust.
Got spoiled by $30 Chinese Amazon stuff. I would put 41.5 and it will accurately pump to 41. Or may be it was dropping 0.5 when I was disconnecting but it was pretty accurate and consistent on all 4 tires.
What a disappointment I had after I got $80 Craftsman Inflator. Now I am deflating tires with pressure gauge like you said :rolleyes:
Progress

So what if you need to hold the trigger? I set the PSI and hold the trigger for about 30 seconds per tire and within 2-3 mins the job is done.
Just pointing the differences.
I like Makita products but when everyone stops automatically and you do not have to hold the trigger, Makita chose for you to be more interactive ;)
When it is 30 degrees outside and windy and you have to pump all 4 tires from 36 psi to 42, I would prefer not to hold Makita trigger kneeling next to MY.