Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking doors while still inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, anyone who leaves their phone charging (overnight for example) in proximity to where their car is parked will have the same issue. Your options here are moving the phone a greater distance away from the vehicle or placing the phone into Airplane mode. Disabling Bluetooth on iPhones is only a temporary measure, as recent releases of iOS will automatically re-enable Bluetooth the following day.

Proximity is more of an issue with attached garages, but its something you may want to investigate (test) if you're concerned.
It has to be pretty close in my experience. The car will not unlock with my phone on the nightstand in the bedroom above the garage. Distance to the car is about 15 feet, mostly vertical. Also makes no difference in vampire drain (I get 1-2 miles per night). I tested this last year, so possibly newer firmware is different.

It has to be pretty close in my experience. The car will not unlock with my phone on the nightstand in the bedroom above the garage. Distance to the car is about 15 feet, mostly vertical. Also makes no difference in vampire drain (I get 1-2 miles per night). I tested this last year, so possibly newer firmware is different.

Everyone's experience may be a little different, and the only way to know is to test it a few times. Class 2 Bluetooth devices have a range of up to 30 meters (in white-space: meaning, without any obstructions) but I sense that the Tesla is looking for a relatively strong signal.

On the other hand, there is still a risk of a Bluetooth amplification attack, which is another reason why you should enable multi-factor authentication (PIN to Drive). For those of you who may not know about these kinds of threats, an attacker can use a particular device to amplify the signal originating from your mobile phone and direct the signal in closer proximity to the car. In this way, they can simulate a phones physical approach to the vehicle.

I try not to leave anything of value in the car because it tends to invite thieves.

I just had an unexpected experience.

My wife was in the Model 3, in the passenger seat. I had my phone in my pocket, and walked away. As should happen the car doors locked. My wife could not open the windows, nor open the doors with the button on the door handle. She had to call me from her cell phone to get me to come back.

Now, I know that she should have been able to open the doors with the manual door handle (we have not tested this), and (we have not tested this either) from the lock/unlock icon on the control screen. Her key card was in her purse, which was locked in the trunk.

Any comments ? or this working as designed ?

Michael

My wife was in the Model 3, in the passenger seat. I had my phone in my pocket, and walked away. As should happen the car doors locked. My wife could not open the windows, nor open the doors with the button on the door handle. She had to call me from her cell phone to get me to come back.

Now, I know that she should have been able to open the doors with the manual door handle (we have not tested this), and (we have not tested this either) from the lock/unlock icon on the control screen. Her key card was in her purse, which was locked in the trunk.

Michael
I am going to test this situation next time someone is in my car to see but I think it makes sense if that is how it was designed. Let's say I leave a pet inside my car, I would like knowing that the doors are locked and my pet couldn't get out even if it was somehow able to push the button.

Michael
I proudly showed someone "Dog Mode".

A couple of days later we were shopping. I went into the store and the car auto-locked. She does not have a card for my car. When I came out about 10 minutes later she was frantic. It was hot in the car and she could not get out.

Hmmm... You would think in a smart car, like ours, the butt sensors wouldn't let people down like that. Perhaps too many people left heavy shopping bags in the car when they went back into the mall.
Lots of people who leave dogs in cars don’t keep the dog in a crate, or have the crate on a car seat. The seat sensor would not distinguish among the sources of weight on a seat.

• Informative
Reactions: calidreamz808
Because I'm a runner, and I often can't be carrying my phone with me when doing so I sometimes put the phone in the glovebox with the bluetooth off. I then use my card to lock/unlock the car. There's no threat of the car being stolen - only the phone (if they could pry the glovebox open) because to turn bluetooth on/off it requires a pin/fingerprint. A pretty nice solution, all things considered.

Reactions: calidreamz808
So, for everyone's knowledge. We locked the car and put phones in airplane mode with no key card around. If you hit the door release button on the inside of the car, the door opens and the screen turns on when you sit down. You have access to everything.
You can slide a hangar between the rubber and the window, hit the release and your in.
Please someone tell me this is just a defect on my car.

So, for everyone's knowledge. We locked the car and put phones in airplane mode with no key card around. If you hit the door release button on the inside of the car, the door opens and the screen turns on when you sit down. You have access to everything.
You can slide a hangar between the rubber and the window, hit the release and your in.

Its called thinking like a thief. easy solution.. don't leave anything that could be used as a key inside the car.

I don't understand this post.
If you hit the release button on the inside of the car, then you art already in the car, so why would you say that the door open and the screen turn on when you sit down, because you would already be in the car sitting down, or else the car door is already open and you are about to sit.

Its called thinking like a thief. easy solution.. don't leave anything that could be used as a key inside the car.
But
I don't understand this post.
If you hit the release button on the inside of the car, then you art already in the car, so why would you say that the door open and the screen turn on when you sit down, because you would already be in the car sitting down, or else the car door is already open and you are about to sit.
Lock the doors, slide something between the rubber and window, touch the door release and presto. When you sit down, the screen turns on and all options are available like trunk frunk and glove box.
My thought was that there is no key card or phone, so why is the screen turning on if the car should be locked? If they made it so the screen was not active if the car is locked, then if a thief opened the door, as described above, then they would not be able to access the trunk, trunk or glove box.

In other words, with the absence of any properly authorized key (phone, keycard, fob), it seems like if somebody gains access to the car by "opening" the door from the inside, they will be given access to open the glovebox, trunk, frunk from the screen. Does not seem to be the best thing to do. The car should have to recognize a valid key BEFORE allowing the screen to come on.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
In other words, with the absence of any properly authorized key (phone, keycard, fob), it seems like if somebody gains access to the car by "opening" the door from the inside, they will be given access to open the glovebox, trunk, frunk from the screen. Does not seem to be the best thing to do. The car should have to recognize a valid key BEFORE allowing the screen to come on.
Yes. That's where I was going with that.

Reactions: israndy
You can already access the trunk without a key if you can open the door. Fold the seats.

And you can access the frunk with a 9v battery without even opening the car door.

One thing he didn't clarify though. Was the car off and locked before trying this?

Because the one time I left someone in my car (and walked away and it locked- because I was going to get something I forgot in the house and took my phone with me) their opening the door from the inside set the car alarm off.