Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range Plus Battery Range Calculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Model S LR+ with 33k miles on it and want to get an idea on the health of the battery. I ran a calculation using the remaining miles/pct of battery to make the calculation. Is this a reasonable way of determining the battery health? After a charge, it is showing 303 miles and 83%. That comes to an estimated range of 365 miles. I am curious what other LR+ owners are coming up with in if they use this calculation. I really do not want to do the 24hr battery health test if I do not need to do so.

Thx

I have a 2020 Model S LR+ with 33k miles on it and want to get an idea on the health of the battery. I ran a calculation using the remaining miles/pct of battery to make the calculation. Is this a reasonable way of determining the battery health? After a charge, it is showing 303 miles and 83%. That comes to an estimated range of 365 miles. I am curious what other LR+ owners are coming up with in if they use this calculation. I really do not want to do the 24hr battery health test if I do not need to do so.

Thx

Wait till it's warm weather and get ready for a road trip:

Charge to 100% and see how many miles that is. If it's below 70% capacity (<281 miles), then it's time to file for a warranty claim.

Other than that, there's not much you can do.

BMS Calibration/ Cell balancing - From tesla-info.com tesla-bms-calibration
  • Let the car run down to a low state of charge, below 20% is good. (note - other sources suggest below 10%)
  • Leave the car for several hours at this state of charge, over night if possible.
  • Charge the car to 100% and leave the car until it says it is not adding any more power to the battery. The car may have said it has finished charging before this, ignore the "finished charging" message and use the energy/voltage/miles readout to see if the car is charging.
  • You may see the range increase as you do this. This is normal.
  • Repeat the process a few times if necessary. You should see after each cycle the range increase.

The Tesla app displays now an option to calculate the actual EPA range of your car (in 24').
Have somebody already tried it (third option in the Service page)?

IMG_7500.jpeg IMG_7501.jpeg

My last 100% charge displayed : 619 km EPA with 67'000 km (Dec. 2017 EPA was 632 km).

Last edited:
My 2019 has the option in the app but my 2015 doesn't. I ran it on my 2019 and it basically breaks down where your energy went during recent drives:elevation changes, driving, battery conditioning, climate control, and everything else. It compares these against the EPA estimate. It doesn't "calculate the actual EPA range" of your car or tell you the health of your battery.

It's interesting, but a shame that the car doesn't just tell you this at the end of a drive. I'm not sure why. This was a neat feature of the Lightning. TeslaFi does this to an extent, but it doesn't have the detail as to where the actual energy went or how it contributed to your consumption rate for a given trip, it just logs that you had x feet of elevation change, the weather conditions, how much your battery heater was on, and what your average cabin temperature was.

• Informative
Reactions: PatrickCH4313

Thx
I have 2020 Model S LR+ with 42k miles and I also get 100% with 360 miles out of 402 miles.
Signed up to Tesla service battery review tomorrow.
Also, the car is using 16-20 miles of energy when it is parked outside with sentry mode on. Do you have similar battery drain?
Thanks

I have 2020 Model S LR+ with 42k miles and I also get 100% with 360 miles out of 402 miles.
Signed up to Tesla service battery review tomorrow.
Also, the car is using 16-20 miles of energy when it is parked outside with sentry mode on. Do you have similar battery drain?
Thanks
I'm curious how that went. I also have a 2020 Model S LR+ with 43K miles and at 100% get 364 miles instead of anywhere near 402. I am going to try what EVFamilyGrins said up above and see if anything changes. I am usually not one to risk driving down to anything below 10%, but the range is one of the reasons I bought the car in the first place (in addition to its sexiness).