Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at FSD Beta but have a question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You still had to confirm the installation, correct? You might not have known that you were installing a Beta build, but it shouldn’t have installed without confirmation.

I confirmed installation of a software update, yes. I had no idea it was FSD beta though. It installed right around christmas when we were all waiting for the christmas update. Whenever they removed the safety score stuff is when they pushed that to my car, and I am 1000% positive it couldnt have just been me.

I dont believe in any of those driver monitoring solutions, teslas or otherwise (safety score,. "snapshot" or any other driver monitoring type thing. Thats a complete non starter for me, even though Im not hooning around everywhere. Whenever FSD beta " went wide" is when they pushed it to my car. I dont read this subforum very often actually, because the subject doesnt interest me very much at all, so I didnt know FSD might be pushed to "wide release". I certainly didnt know it would be pushed to people who didnt push the button to request it for the christmas update.

I confirmed installation of a software update, yes. I had no idea it was FSD beta though. It installed right around christmas when we were all waiting for the christmas update. Whenever they removed the safety score stuff is when they pushed that to my car, and I am 1000% positive it couldnt have just been me.

I dont believe in any of those driver monitoring solutions, teslas or otherwise (safety score,. "snapshot" or any other driver monitoring type thing. Thats a complete non starter for me, even though Im not hooning around everywhere. Whenever FSD beta " went wide" is when they pushed it to my car. I dont read this subforum very often actually, because the subject doesnt interest me very much at all, so I didnt know FSD might be pushed to "wide release". I certainly didnt know it would be pushed to people who didnt push the button to request it for the christmas update.
I don't recall hearing about other people getting the FSD Beta build without asking for it, so although I don't doubt it happened to you, it's not a common issue. As was mentioned earlier, you can send email to [email protected] (I think [email protected] works too) and ask to be removed, and mention that you didn't request the Beta so they can investigate why you got it.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
You still had to confirm the installation, correct? You might not have known that you were installing a Beta build, but it shouldn’t have installed without confirmation.
Multiple times that Tesla quietly updated my Tesla cars without my consent or my click for confirmations.

I could refuse to confirm and it obeys my wish only for a duration of times. Then, suddenly when I woke up in the morning, an update was done during my sleep against my wish.

However, forced updates happened with my within same versions only such as FSD to FSD and FSD beta to FSD beta.

It's possible that forced update could happen to change from FSD to FSD beta.

First, could you please just mention exactly what software version you have installed on your car right now? I looked through your messages and I didn't see that you said that, Based on your description, it should be 2022.44.[25|30].x

Second, you don't have to run FSD beta just because you have that software. You can run on standard FSD from the same build, by not activating the toggle. Like many others, I have set up a non beta profile and a beta profile - although I rarely use the non beta profile at this point.

Having said that, I do understand that perhaps your objection to having FSD beta is that you are now behind the standard software updates, e.g. you will not be updated to today's 2023.2.x or 2023.6.x until FSD beta gets there. Many people come on here asking how they can avoid the newer updates until FSD beta catches up; you apparently have the inverse problem. If that's your objection, I understand - though it doesn't seem to be the worst thing in the world.

I think the entire Tesla Community will be a happier place when and if they figure out how to modularize the updates well enough so that FSD beta releases don't have to lag behind.

Multiple times that Tesla quietly updated my Tesla cars without my consent or my click for confirmations.

I could refuse to confirm and it obeys my wish only for a duration of times. Then, suddenly when I woke up in the morning, an update was done during my sleep against my wish.

However, forced updates happened with my within same versions only such as FSD to FSD and FSD beta to FSD beta.

It's possible that forced update could happen to change from FSD to FSD beta.
I’ve owned Teslas for 7 years, and I’ve never had an update install without confirmation. The UI for the software update alert on the touchscreen makes it easy to accidentally schedule an update to happen overnight, so maybe that’s what happened to you. But even if the updates happened automatically, it’s not a common problem. One of the reasons you have to confirm the update is because the car is not drivable during the install.

First, could you please just mention exactly what software version you have installed on your car right now?
Having said that, I do understand that perhaps your objection to having FSD beta is that you are now behind the standard software updates, e.g. you will not be updated to today's 2023.2.x or 2023.6.x until FSD beta gets there. Many people come on here asking how they can avoid the newer updates until FSD beta catches up; you apparently have the inverse problem. If that's your objection, I understand - though it doesn't seem to be the worst thing in the world.
Its this, yes. Since i wont ever use FSD beta (since all FSD is beta, I actually think of it as "beta beta"), I would like the latest regular updates. I also got the "you have been transitioned to Tesla Vision!" message in the software update, for my radar equipped 2018 model 3. No idea if everyone is on Tesla vision as I dont follow it that closely.

You are right, its not the worst thing in the world, its just undesired on my end, and I happened to be in this subforum and this thread made me think to ask.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
So from most of the reading Im doing this is the conclusion I have come to...Since my 3 is up to date (Not FSDb up to date) on its software I am pretty much out of luck to be part of the Beta program. I do very little highway driving so the local roads aspect of the Beta was what really intrigued me. Im not happy that an up-to-date car kinda screws someone if they decide to subscribe and participate but it is what it is. I suppose I will kill the subscription until the Beta catches up (could be next year).

I’ve owned Teslas for 7 years, and I’ve never had an update install without confirmation. The UI for the software update alert on the touchscreen makes it easy to accidentally schedule an update to happen overnight, so maybe that’s what happened to you. But even if the updates happened automatically, it’s not a common problem. One of the reasons you have to confirm the update is because the car is not drivable during the install.
I don't doubt your facts.

If you doubt mine, you can try to refuse to update the firmware, not one time, not one month but many times and many months or over a year.

I even went to Service Center with obsolete firmware for an unrelated service and I instructed it to keep the same firmware without updating. Although they warned me that can void the warranty but they still complied with my wish.

I bought my Tesla in 2012 and I am using a Tesla for the past 11 years so I know how to get an update and how to refuse an update.

However, the automatic forced updating once is an accident, but twice, thrice, and more are not.

My elderly sister (in her 70s) also experienced the same too. She has not had wi-fi at home. She does not know how to connect it wi-fi even if she wants to. She does not have Premium Connectivity. She did not confirm an update, but one morning when she woke up, she called me and complained she couldn't find the PSI for the tires anymore. That's because Tesla automatically forced her to update from UI 10 to UI 11 and hid the PSI in another menu and she had to learn all over again.