Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at FSD Beta but have a question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im new to Tesla, been thinking about FSD and the Beta testing...My Model 3 P has v11.1(2023.6.1) installed before I got the car, based upon my homework am I to understand that I cant get into the Beta program even if I wanted? I thought the update for the FSD Beta runs behind the normal updates and going backward in firmware is almost impossible. Am I reading this correctly? Any help would be great, TIA...

You wouldn't get the FSD Beta anyway until the recall issue is resolved, but once you request access to FSD Beta, you should stop getting updates that are newer than the Beta. We don't yet know if the next FSD Beta build will be newer than what you have.
any idea (from the past) how long it takes FSDb to catch up to normal updates? This might be an impossible question to answer, Im just wondering if this could turn out to be months or years...

any idea (from the past) how long it takes FSDb to catch up to normal updates? This might be an impossible question to answer, Im just wondering if this could turn out to be months or years...
Historically FSDb is many months behind the otherwise GA level, maybe 4 to 6 on average. This recall thing threw a wrench into things - there was talk of a single version, FSD-enabled or not. I thought they were close, as in with v11, but now it doesn't seem likely now. But clearly it's a goal they hope to reach.

V11 was supposed to "go wide this weekend". To most mere mortals that's another 2 to 4 weeks out.

If you resist installing new software that your car downloads, it should be months (or less) before FSD version passes your current version. If you install new updates as they come available, then years, if ever. FSD beta is generally behind the production branch.

At some point, Tesla should merge FSD beta into the production software and this will be moot. That could happen today or could happen years from now. Tesla has not said when they expect to do this.

Thanks everyone for a bit of enlightenment...I went ahead and subscribed to FSD, see what happens from there...I can always cancel.

Now that its been purchased is there anything special I need to do? I dont want to drag this thread on so if there is a FSD/FSDb for dummies please guide me in that direction.

Thanks everyone for a bit of enlightenment...I went ahead and subscribed to FSD, see what happens from there...I can always cancel.

Now that its been purchased is there anything special I need to do? I dont want to drag this thread on so if there is a FSD/FSDb for dummies please guide me in that direction.
Go into the autopilot screen and request FSD beta.
Set up Navigate on Autopilot to enable on each drive. Set up other NOA options as you like.
Go play on the freeway.

• Funny
Reactions: BitJam
I have a question for myself, and I am going to ask it in this thread since this is one of the more recent threads about "FSD Beta". I have a 2018 Model 3 performance, that has FSD. I never (ever) pushed any FSD beta request button, or requested the beta, etc, yet, around christmas time my car downloaded the FSD beta automatically (vs being on the regular "non beta" FSD tract).

I have no intention of using "FSD beta" and would like to go back to "regular FSD" so that this car gets on the regular update tract. Is this possible? Im not looking for "just turn it off" or "just dont use it" because, just having the FSD beta on this car means that the software versions are behind my wifes model Y which doesnt have FSD at all (just the included autopilot).

Im looking for, basically, "How do I get my model 3 to get off the beta and back onto the regular tract, since I never requested fsd beta in the first place".

Any ideas?

I have a question for myself, and I am going to ask it in this thread since this is one of the more recent threads about "FSD Beta". I have a 2018 Model 3 performance, that has FSD. I never (ever) pushed any FSD beta request button, or requested the beta, etc, yet, around christmas time my car downloaded the FSD beta automatically (vs being on the regular "non beta" FSD tract).

I have no intention of using "FSD beta" and would like to go back to "regular FSD" so that this car gets on the regular update tract. Is this possible? Im not looking for "just turn it off" or "just dont use it" because, just having the FSD beta on this car means that the software versions are behind my wifes model Y which doesnt have FSD at all (just the included autopilot).

Im looking for, basically, "How do I get my model 3 to get off the beta and back onto the regular tract, since I never requested fsd beta in the first place".

Any ideas?
email these guys <[email protected]> and give them your VIN.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
No. But if you do not request FSD beta, your car will never switch from the production software branch to the FSD beta branch.

As I stated, my own car did exactly this when the holiday update came out. I can guarantee you 1000000000% I never pushed the FSD beta button as I was not interested in it. Im not someone who denies downloading updates, I just wasnt interested in FSD beta, so I know for a fact I never pushed the button, and my wife and I are empty nesters, and she doesnt like driving my model 3 so no one else pushed it either.

Still, my car downloaded FSD beta, swapped to tesla vision, etc.

As I stated, my own car did exactly this when the holiday update came out. I can guarantee you 1000000000% I never pushed the FSD beta button as I was not interested in it. Im not someone who denies downloading updates, I just wasnt interested in FSD beta, so I know for a fact I never pushed the button, and my wife and I are empty nesters, and she doesnt like driving my model 3 so no one else pushed it either.

Still, my car downloaded FSD beta, swapped to tesla vision, etc.
I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to 22MDL3P, who was asking about getting FSD beta. For everyone, but you, requesting FSD beta is a required step. Sorry that something went wrong for you and hope you can get back on the production software branch by emailing Tesla.

BTW, others who have done this have reported needing to send the email multiple times over the course of about a month, so it may take a while. Good luck.

No. But if you do not request FSD beta, your car will never switch from the production software branch to the FSD beta branch.
I will keep watch, and see how long it takes for them to start accepting beta applicants again, and when it would be possible since the vehicle is ahead of the beta program rollout. I hate the fact that FSDb is so far behind, it might make the subscription a bit pointless for awhile...Hopefully its not a long time