Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for softer ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked to UPP this morning about their springs. I asked if they do installation and they said yes. But the rep told me that they are putting installation on hold due to some additional testing needed on the springs. I guess they are still streamlining the springs. So I will have to hold out a bit.

Very interesting...didn't get this feedback from them last week, and they let me know they were shipping out. So this could wind up being like a Jeda USB hub situation. Hopefully not. Safety of course is a serious issue, so I don't blame them, however, I would have liked to know this was worked out before they put them out for sale.

Hey guys I think I might just put my PUP on air bags . Was trying to sell my model Y or something and get an X but then read online and realized the x is larger harder to get into small spaces . So I contacted Universal Air and Rad rides. Quote I got was $7800 or so, $5000 in parts which I can finance on affirm for $700 a month no interest or something .

after spending so much on car, I didn’t want every Mercedes or Model S/X on the road to make me want to curse Tesla and my decisions. I feel like air bags are the way to go for pure comfort . How do u guys feel?

20” + MP, 4800 (estimate lose $1400 on wheel swap, $3400 after MP)
Vs
21” + air suspension ($7800)
Can drop my model Y to the ground when parked

UPP Luxury Coil-Over/Suspension Kit install. Bummer! three shops in Baton Rouge basically said they would pass on my install. 1 outright said he didn't want to do it. 2nd one said he would "attempt" it. But his shop was a total nightmare with junk piled everywhere. 3rd one said they would do it but are booked until January 14th.

My grandson and i are going to do the intsall on either Saturday 12-05-2020 or 12-12-2020.

Reactions: DennyL and noshadow
UPP Luxury Coil-Over/Suspension Kit install. Bummer! three shops in Baton Rouge basically said they would pass on my install. 1 outright said he didn't want to do it. 2nd one said he would "attempt" it. But his shop was a total nightmare with junk piled everywhere. <snip>

Out of curiosity, did either of them say WHY they didn't want to do it? Or why the felt an "attempt" needs to be made? I was under the impression that was just a simple swap, no fabrication necessary. Basically any decent shop should be able to handle it.

Reactions: gdayinla
Hey guys I think I might just put my PUP on air bags . Was trying to sell my model Y or something and get an X but then read online and realized the x is larger harder to get into small spaces . So I contacted Universal Air and Rad rides. Quote I got was $7800 or so, $5000 in parts which I can finance on affirm for $700 a month no interest or something

Try AirDemand for the bags. Should be about $800 less than UAS. AirDemand should cost $1700.

Management:
Airlift 3P with compressor and tank $1600
add height sensors Airlift 3H +$400
add 2nd compressors and harness +$250
$4000 for everything. You don't need a 2nd compressor, so you can save $250.

I talked to Griffin Moterwerke in Berkeley and he said it's a 8 hour install for the coilovers.
He says it takes a long time to tune properly, and they redo other poor installations. He seemed pretty informed, knows the head of UPP well and has experience with MPP as well. That said, he was very non-committal if the MPP luxury coil overs would really improve the ride or not. I've put my order for the MPP's on hold, and am having the vredestein quatrac pros installed today as a start. I'll report back on how they feel. Taking the car to Tahoe tonight, so it will be a good test run.

I talked to Griffin Moterwerke in Berkeley and he said it's a 8 hour install for the coilovers.
He says it takes a long time to tune properly, and they redo other poor installations. He seemed pretty informed, knows the head of UPP well and has experience with MPP as well. That said, he was very non-committal if the MPP luxury coil overs would really improve the ride or not. I've put my order for the MPP's on hold, and am having the vredestein quatrac pros installed today as a start. I'll report back on how they feel. Taking the car to Tahoe tonight, so it will be a good test run.

Having about 1000 miles or so on my 19" Quatrac Pros, I can tell you it is like driving an entirely different vehicle. I have my UPP luxury stock-height springs on order, because I want the ride to be even better, but the most important thing right now is that my family is much happier on road trips!

That will still be 4K in parts plus 2800 in labor = 6800 . Brings air suspension cheaper by 1k but not sure if I can afford still . Gonna try MPP and compare by PUP to my friends 19” long range . I’ll be happy if it’s comparable . Then I’ll also go to 19” Quatrac

Out of curiosity, did either of them say WHY they didn't want to do it? Or why the felt an "attempt" needs to be made? I was under the impression that was just a simple swap, no fabrication necessary. Basically any decent shop should be able to handle it.

The issue was fear of damaging the battery pack while jacking up the car. And frankly if they have no more faith in their mechanics than that, I'm glad they passed. i got the "attempt" response from a shop that I've used a lot in the past for some repairs on my 1977 Mercedes 300D (now saddly dead from a hit and run accident that totaled it).

Reactions: noshadow
Having about 1000 miles or so on my 19" Quatrac Pros, I can tell you it is like driving an entirely different vehicle. I have my UPP luxury stock-height springs on order, because I want the ride to be even better, but the most important thing right now is that my family is much happier on road trips!

hey BE - with your new tires are you getting any reduction in range compared to the OEM tires?