Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for softer ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked to Griffin Moterwerke in Berkeley and he said it's a 8 hour install for the coilovers.
He says it takes a long time to tune properly, and they redo other poor installations. He seemed pretty informed, knows the head of UPP well and has experience with MPP as well. That said, he was very non-committal if the MPP luxury coil overs would really improve the ride or not. I've put my order for the MPP's on hold, and am having the vredestein quatrac pros installed today as a start. I'll report back on how they feel. Taking the car to Tahoe tonight, so it will be a good test run.

I also reached out to Griffin. I've gotten a lot of work there done in the past with my Audi. I'm not a huge fan of them, but they're really close by (happy to talk about why offline).

The estimate I got was $1080 for the labor for install of the Mountain Pass Coilovers. They didn't give me how many hours in the estimate, but I'm guessing it's possibly $135/hr and they'd work on it for 8 hours?

They were also not committing on any alignment price, saying it would be at a minimum $180. There might be slight adjustments to alignment that's needed, but they said it could be really bad and need a lot more, even at stock height.

Honestly, that is too much.

how much time would you estimate a shop should take to do the install?

I also reached out to Griffin. I've gotten a lot of work there done in the past with my Audi. I'm not a huge fan of them, but they're really close by (happy to talk about why offline).

The estimate I got was $1080 for the labor for install of the Mountain Pass Coilovers. They didn't give me how many hours in the estimate, but I'm guessing it's possibly $135/hr and they'd work on it for 8 hours?

They were also not committing on any alignment price, saying it would be at a minimum $180. There might be slight adjustments to alignment that's needed, but they said it could be really bad and need a lot more, even at stock height.

how much time would you estimate a shop should take to do the install?

6 hours for your first time and 4 hours for someone who's experienced.

Reactions: pt19713
Having about 1000 miles or so on my 19" Quatrac Pros, I can tell you it is like driving an entirely different vehicle. I have my UPP luxury stock-height springs on order, because I want the ride to be even better, but the most important thing right now is that my family is much happier on road trips!

I put on the 19'' Quatrac Pros based on the positive reviews here on a few forums, as a first attempt to smooth out the ride a bit and alleviate the road noise.
For me, there is no significant difference versus the standard Contis. The QPs are probably a little bit quieter on the freeway, and maybe slightly so around town. But it's not a huge difference. Honestly, for me anyway, it's hard to tell. Freeways, yes, I think a little quieter. My wife, who drives the car daily, says she can't tell any difference at all (but to be fair she's not a gearhead or particularly cares about things like this).
Main takeaway is the tires are fine, but it's not a way of transforming your MY's suspension in my experience. I'm still thinking of trying the UPP or MPP luxury coilovers, but not sure if I'll go ahead or not at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
don’t believe there’s any camber adjustment on Model Y/3 so will become a problem especially for rear wheels (resulting in excessive tire wear) when car is lowered- LR to Performance height

personally have ordered MPP comfort adjustable coil-overs for my MY P and rear camber arms; they have black friday sale going on now.
Was there any discounts applied to the coil overs or was it only the camber kit? Did you receive your coil over kit already? I am now on the fence between MPP and UP coil over kit. I want my MYP lowered 1 inch or more with comfort that is better than stock.

I put on the 19'' Quatrac Pros based on the positive reviews here on a few forums, as a first attempt to smooth out the ride a bit and alleviate the road noise.
For me, there is no significant difference versus the standard Contis. The QPs are probably a little bit quieter on the freeway, and maybe slightly so around town. But it's not a huge difference. Honestly, for me anyway, it's hard to tell. Freeways, yes, I think a little quieter. My wife, who drives the car daily, says she can't tell any difference at all (but to be fair she's not a gearhead or particularly cares about things like this).
Main takeaway is the tires are fine, but it's not a way of transforming your MY's suspension in my experience. I'm still thinking of trying the UPP or MPP luxury coilovers, but not sure if I'll go ahead or not at this point.

What tire pressure are you running? I'm at 42 cold all around, and I've had both my family and others in the car and hands-down there is a significant difference at least in my VIN 9xxx. I've already ordered the UPP Comfort Springs, and eagerly await for their arrival, as I think that will get the ride where I want it to be.

Was there any discounts applied to the coil overs or was it only the camber kit? Did you receive your coil over kit already? I am now on the fence between MPP and UP coil over kit. I want my MYP lowered 1 inch or more with comfort that is better than stock.

Got a discount for purchasing both the coilovers and the camber arms, making the camber arms a no-brainer addition if you’re lowering from stock height. BF sale was about another $100 off for the coilovers. Email Jesse and the friendly guys at [email protected] for the discount code. I’ve received the camber arms but no shipment yet for the coilovers; those are expected late this month.

Got a discount for purchasing both the coilovers and the camber arms, making the camber arms a no-brainer addition if you’re lowering from stock height. BF sale was about another $100 off for the coilovers. Email Jesse and the friendly guys at [email protected] for the discount code. I’ve received the camber arms but no shipment yet for the coilovers; those are expected late this month.
Has your coil overs shipped ?

Sucks that I just read through 8 pages on every owner trying to figure out how to fix an engineering problem from Tesla that shouldn’t have been a problem to begin with...

I guess I’ll subscribe til some third party company comes out with the solution that Tesla should have came out with from the factory.

They sent an email to all orders. First batch 2-3 weeks then following batches weeks after that.

I have had MY with 19 inch wheels for about 4 months and think the ride is too harsh. After looking through owners forums, I see this is a common complaint. I know there are two after market upgrades that cost about $2,500 plus installation. Problem is there is no installer near me and this negatively impacts the warranty.

Hope Tesla monitors these forums as I want to suggest they come up with an approved upgrade that could be installed at Tesla service centers. I would be happy to pay a reasonable cost for this upgrade and also be willing to sacrifice some range. Anyone agree?

Are there other suggestions to improve ride quality?

As much as I like many aspects of the car, I have a hard time recommending it to the many people who ask. Ride quality is a pretty basic expectation.

I have had MY with 19 inch wheels for about 4 months and think the ride is too harsh. After looking through owners forums, I see this is a common complaint. I know there are two after market upgrades that cost about $2,500 plus installation. Problem is there is no installer near me and this negatively impacts the warranty.

Hope Tesla monitors these forums as I want to suggest they come up with an approved upgrade that could be installed at Tesla service centers. I would be happy to pay a reasonable cost for this upgrade and also be willing to sacrifice some range. Anyone agree?

Are there other suggestions to improve ride quality?

As much as I like many aspects of the car, I have a hard time recommending it to the many people who ask. Ride quality is a pretty basic expectation.
You should be fine having it installed at any knowledgeable car shop. There's nothing special about the Tesla suspension that would prevent a shop from doing the swap. Look for any tuner business that has a good reputation, or ask around for anyone that does SCCA Solo racing.

UPP installed moderate dual rate coil springs and I am really pleased with the ride. No lowering.
I already commented that these should be the factory install. Great service!

I see UPP offers both moderate and mild springs. It say moderate ones will lower ride but not the new mild version. Anyone have experience with these? Do you think a good local mechanic should be able to install ?

gdayinla: Your post, #143 above, is confusing. You are responding to a coilover install, saying you had "them" installed in November.

Post #158 says you had "moderate" springs installed.

I assume #143 is incorrect???