Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for some guidance here......what's a completely unreasonable time frame for 2020 Model S to not be repaired after an accident?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 Model S was t-boned on the passenger side and airbags were deployed, thankfully nobody was hurt but it was emotionally traumatic. I immediately called my insurance and made the claim on the scene while the police called the tow truck. My car was taken to a repair shop and I am now going on 8 MONTHS of getting the run around about parts not being available, specifically an airbag and seat. I understand there are supply issues but I have completely run out of patience after battling my insurance who authorized this repair shop but then realized later it was not an authorized shop (too many details to include about this nightmare). I've read about other's experiences with long turnaround times but 8 months seems completely absurd and the stress has been overwhelming. The shop manager is telling me some cars are waiting a year or more. Any helpful advice or shared experience would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4066.jpg
    IMG_4066.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 230
No answer on “reasonable “ as I would score that in days, not months…

Two suggestions:
1) talk to the insurance about totaling the car. If parts aren’t available, it will never be made whole.

2) buy used parts. Tesla forbids their authorized shops from using used parts, but you said this shop isn’t authorized, so you have more flexibility.

Upvote 0
I feel your pain and frustration. My S has been at a body shop for 4 months with a lot less damage than yours. Unfortunately I do not think your situation is unique. I've heard 6-9 months in some cases. I've basically given up on all expectations and whenever I get my car back I will rejoice.

Upvote 0
My 2020 Model S was t-boned on the passenger side and airbags were deployed, thankfully nobody was hurt but it was emotionally traumatic. I immediately called my insurance and made the claim on the scene while the police called the tow truck. My car was taken to a repair shop and I am now going on 8 MONTHS of getting the run around about parts not being available, specifically an airbag and seat. I understand there are supply issues but I have completely run out of patience after battling my insurance who authorized this repair shop but then realized later it was not an authorized shop (too many details to include about this nightmare). I've read about other's experiences with long turnaround times but 8 months seems completely absurd and the stress has been overwhelming. The shop manager is telling me some cars are waiting a year or more. Any helpful advice or shared experience would be much appreciated.
I don't doubt the timeframe since I faced an airbag-deployment repair timeframe of 4 months and that was in 2018.

If your state of residence is California, per the MWL blog that summarizes case law precedent, it looks like you can claim loss of use from the damaging party. You mention using your own insurance; in this instance, it may be worth pursuing the at-fault party's insurance, presenting the cost of repairs and most notably the cost of 8-months of loss of use already accrued, and the 4+ months you are facing, where the insurance company may choose to total rather than face further costs.

Reactions: Bull
Upvote 0
No answer on “reasonable “ as I would score that in days, not months…

Two suggestions:
1) talk to the insurance about totaling the car. If parts aren’t available, it will never be made whole.

2) buy used parts. Tesla forbids their authorized shops from using used parts, but you said this shop isn’t authorized, so you have more flexibility.
Thank you for the response, it's helpful. I've really been pushing for insurance to total the car but they are refusing so far. Never expected it to be this difficult to get Tesla parts, it's really been a nightmare at every turn dealing with insurance and this particular body shop. All the best to you.

Upvote 0
I feel your pain and frustration. My S has been at a body shop for 4 months with a lot less damage than yours. Unfortunately I do not think your situation is unique. I've heard 6-9 months in some cases. I've basically given up on all expectations and whenever I get my car back I will rejoice.
Thanks for your reply, it certainly has been an emotional roller coaster and helpful to know I'm not the only one. If my car ever comes back, I will have celebration.

Upvote 0

Update: I physically went to repair shop today to take updated photos of car and to see where things stand.

Upvote 0
Update: I physically went to repair shop today to take updated photos of car and to see where things stand. The car was was still in pieces and the office manager had no solid updates regarding parts, other than the technician who is working on it is now home sick with covid. Feeling more frustrated, I left and called the general manager who has been trying to keep the peace. He said he would get answers and call back. He later called me and said he spoke to the owner and they think the best possible solution at this point, is to remedy the ongoing headaches by them buying the car from me at "fair market value". My car has free life time supercharging, which is hard to put a value on. Additionally, delivery dates for a new car look like they are pretty far out. I am at a loss and don't know what to do this point as I have very little faith and trust in this repair shop right now. Suggestions appreciated.

Upvote 0
Update: I physically went to repair shop today to take updated photos of car and to see where things stand. The car was was still in pieces and the office manager had no solid updates regarding parts, other than the technician who is working on it is now home sick with covid. Feeling more frustrated, I left and called the general manager who has been trying to keep the peace. He said he would get answers and call back. He later called me and said he spoke to the owner and they think the best possible solution at this point, is to remedy the ongoing headaches by them buying the car from me at "fair market value". My car has free life time supercharging, which is hard to put a value on. Additionally, delivery dates for a new car look like they are pretty far out. I am at a loss and don't know what to do this point as I have very little faith and trust in this repair shop right now. Suggestions appreciated.
This doesn’t seem like a bad outcome as long as they aren’t trying to lowball you. There are several websites that list used Teslas for sale and you can see price history for used teslas sold by Tesla on ev-cpo.com

Upvote 0
This doesn’t seem like a bad outcome as long as they aren’t trying to lowball you. There are several websites that list used Teslas for sale and you can see price history for used teslas sold by Tesla on ev-cpo.com
It wouldn't surprise me if they include the airbag-deployment in the vehicle history as part of the FMV, making it plummet to near-salvage value.

Reactions: jm404
Upvote 0
so what you are driving now for 8 months? Is your insurance paying rent-a-car for all this time?
What your insurance said about loss of use claim?

I just cant understand you pay $80k for new car, get into accident that is not your fault and then wait 1 year to get it repaired.
There must be some kind of solution

Reactions: rickyjb
Upvote 0
If you get into accident with rent a car and it takes more then 2 WEEKS for them to repair their car then they will charge you loss of use fee.

Same thing goes with you, talk with your insurance about that.
When they see how much will pay you for loss of use then maybe will total your car

Upvote 0
Teslas have been around for years, as have Tesla-approved body shops.

How in heaven's name did your car end up at a NON-Tesla-approved body shop?

That right there is likely a major source of the problem as Tesla only sells some parts to approved body shops!

You've been far too patient; recommend you turn up the volume with your insurer and have them do the same to the insured that hit you. If no results by EOW, then seek out legal advice to have your car totaled and get a new one.

You've been far, far too nice . . . .

Upvote 0