Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking Forward to the Model 3 Debut

How excited are you about the debut?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
102/127 and some breaking news from detroit.

Consumers to see the Tesla Model 3 in March
It's a bummer to see them talking about not going to NAIAS because they can't sell in Michigan. It's the one time a year that people like me get to see the car without knowing an owner or taking a 4-hour road trip to an Ohio store. One of the Ohio salespeople I talked to recently said they were politicking corporate to bring whatever they had for the Model 3 to the show just so they could show *something* to Michigan residents the one time a year they are allowed to be in the state. They've had some really good foot traffic the last couple of times I've been to the show.

It's a bummer to see them talking about not going to NAIAS because they can't sell in Michigan.

“The truth is there is a cost associated with being at these shows. And if you’re trying to sell cars that makes sense,” he told reporters.
My takeaway from his words was more like "We haven't even started trying to sell our cars and have no reason to believe we'll have to try to sell the Model 3" and the dig at Michigan state law was just that, a dig at MI (and TX) state-sanctioned R*nt-S****ng Cir***-**rk.
IMHO.

My takeaway from his words was more like "We haven't even started trying to sell our cars and have no reason to believe we'll have to try to sell the Model 3" and the dig at Michigan state law was just that, a dig at MI (and TX) state-sanctioned R*nt-S****ng Cir***-**rk.
IMHO.
I like the energy you're bringing to this thread, keep it up. We have a long way to go until we get our cars.

102/127 and some breaking news from detroit.

Consumers to see the Tesla Model 3 in March

So what bothers me about that article, and maybe I'm nit-picking here, is this:

"The Model 3, with a price tag of about $35,000, is expected to compete with the Chevrolet Bolt EV, an at least 200-mile range electric vehicle. General Motors Co. has said the Bolt EV will cost around $30,000 after federal tax rebates."

They make it sound like the Bolt is a comparable car for $5,000 less. What the author failed to point out is that if Tesla hits their price point, the Model 3 will start at $27,500 after federal tax credit. And both of these, of course, depend on the buyer's tax liability being enough to get the full $7.5K tax credit. For that matter, why don't they just call the Model 3 a $25K car here in Massachusetts since we get a $2.5K EV rebate?

The media is so... what? Is it biased or just clueless? Maybe a little bit of both!

Last edited:
So what bothers me about that article, and maybe I'm nit-picking here, is this:

The Model 3, with a price tag of about $35,000, is expected to compete with the Chevrolet Bolt EV, an at least 200-mile range electric vehicle. General Motors Co. has said the Bolt EV will cost around $30,000 after federal tax rebates.

They make it sound like the Bolt is a comparable car for $5,000 less. What the author failed to point out is that if Tesla hits their price point, the Model 3 will start at $27,500 after federal tax rebate. And both of these, of course, depend on the buyer's tax liability being enough to get the full $7.5K rebate. For that matter, why don't they just call the Model 3 a $25K car here in Massachusetts since we get a $2.5K EV rebate?

The media is so... what? Is it biased or just clueless? Maybe a little bit of both!

The optimist in me says they're not biased, at least in this case. They are reporting what they are being told. Tesla advertises the price without the incentive; Chevy advertises the price with the incentive. Personally, I wish both would advertise the price without the incentive because as I've used myself as an example previously, my tax liability is less than $7500 per year. I wouldn't be surprised if the people reporting on this don't know how the incentive really works. I'm guessing more clueless than biased.

I haven't researched it at all, but how many Bolts does Chevy hope to sell? If they stay under the 200k threshold, the incentive could stay in effect indefinitely. Ideally, when they do eventually reach the threshold, the technology will be improved and the cost can come down accordingly. I think the difference between Tesla and Chevy is that Tesla hopes to sell many more Model 3s than Chevy hopes to sell Bolts.

OK. I did a quick Google search. According to Zachary Shahan, Chevy plans to sell 30k Bolts a year.

http://gas2.org/2015/07/27/why-is-gm-only-planning-30000-chevy-bolts-per-year/

According to Zachary Shahan, Chevy plans to sell 30k Bolts a year.

Per the IRS website, there are several GM vehicles already getting the rebates and which have for years, so the Bolt won't be getting rebates for too long, even at only 30K units per year.

Model YearVehicle DescriptionCredit Amount

2014, 2016Cadillac ELR$7,500

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016Chevrolet Volt$7,500

2014, 2015, 2016Chevrolet Spark EV$7,500
Per Inside EVs, GM has sold a total of 90,463 qualifying vehicles already (through October 2015), but at the rate they're going it looks like they have several more years of qualifying for the full tax credit. :tongue:

VOLTSPARKELR

2010-117,67100

2015-now11,2992,311822

It looks to me like GM has yet to take EVs seriously.

Last edited:
I know it is a long shot but the New York auto show is at the end of march (25th). Interesting thing about New York is that it is supposedly the most attended auto show in North America and greenest.

As much as I think Tesla will get a big bang of journalism by having it in Hawthrone, I hope Ricardo can sway Elon to New York as they have the ability to professionally host a huge media event and would most certainly be the belle of the ball.

http://www.autoshowny.com/show/

Eh, that would akin to Apple unveiling the iPhone at CES. Sure it would get a lot of attention, but probably none of it would be incremental. I think most people attending the auto show will be aware of Model 3. I don't think it would be worse, I think it'd be pretty much a wash. Tesla isn't going to have a problem finding buyers and they will have 3 years at least to increase awareness before they will have any hope at catching up to even the most bearish demand levels.